Hacking Question Current state regarding ColdBoot Exploits on the Switch?

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So guys with the recent news about Android coming to the switch it seems that the only thing we'll soon need is a cold boot exploit to wrap things up nicely, now I was wondering if there's any research being done in that regard?

Also I had an idea that could involve an hardware mod, it seems that recently the bootrom code was leaked by NVIDIA on Github, couldn't we take their code and change it to open up the bootloader any way we want? (Of course I know the bootrom is encrypted but didn't we defeat that crypto from software?) I guess that'd imply removing the current chip that contains the bootrom to replace it by one with our custom code and maybe add some way to update the ROM in it with a secondary chip?

I know how GBATemp is and I know I'll get people with irrelevant answers going through my thread as I'm asking some pretty hot question... and even with that warning I know this'll still happen but please refrain as much as possible to answer anything irrelevant and also from being rude... Thank you :)

Last edited by Idaho,
Reactions: NoNAND

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We don't really need it. But it would be a nice addition to everything we have now.
Technically that can kinda work. But you can achieve this kind of hardware coldboot already with modchip anyways. And that is much easier.

Except the current modchips drain the battery in their design if I'm not mistaken, my idea would not :P I kinda want this because I live in a van and I'd like to save as much power as I can, solar energy is cool and all but it's not really convenient to take my Switch out of where I store it and have half the battery drained because I left it for a month...

Anyhow thanks for giving your opinion on my idea, comforts me in the idea that it's doable ^^

Last edited by Idaho,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Except the current modchips drain the battery in their design if I'm not mistaken, my idea would not :P I kinda want this because I live in a van and I'd like to save as much power as I can, solar energy is cool and all but it's not really convenient to take my Switch out of where I store it and have half the battery drained because I left it for a month...

Anyhow thanks for giving your opinion on my idea, comforts me in the idea that it's doable ^^
They don't have to. And when they do, they will drain it in approximately 100+ days. The switch battery will discharge itself by that time (probably). Don't forget, that batteries discharge overtime.
Your idea is way harder to accomplish (software-wise and almost impossible hardware-wise for normal people with good equipment).

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Idaho

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They don't have to. And when they do, they will drain it in approximately 100+ days. The switch battery will discharge itself by that time (probably).
Your idea is way harder to accomplish (software and hardware-wise).

Hmm well I guess I'm not informed enough on the matter of modchips then, what are the ones that don't drain battery? I badly need one ^^

Last edited by Idaho,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Minus the battery drain drawback, modchips are your only solution to a coldboot exploit right now with the current progress in the switch scene as is.
Yeah there is a catch when it comes to modchips--as convenient and easy as it is for you to run CFW they drain the battery quicker(some more some less). furthermore I installing them and getting them to work,isn't something the average joe can do either. Once messed something up during installation could Aldo render the switch's components damaged.
But seeing as that's all what we got in terms of coldboot it's the only viable way of running CFW effortlessly.
Have someone do a hardmod for you if you lack the the necessary skills to do it on your own.

Reactions: Idaho

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a trinket installed and I have no battery drain problems at all. Switch is in sleep mode when not in use. In the dock when I play. I dont play it out of the dock at all.

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a trinket installed and I have no battery drain problems at all. Switch is in sleep mode when not in use. In the dock when I play. I dont play it out of the dock at all.

As I said m8, I live in a van, I can't afford to have my Switch being constantly charging on a dock, I just have it stored in a case and when I want to play I take it out of it, I rely on a 160w solar panel with a 90ah battery not a nuclear power plant...

Last edited by Idaho,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
As I said m8, I live in a van, I can't afford to have my Switch being constantly charging on a dock, I just have it stored in a case and when I want to play I take it out of it, I rely on a 160w solar panel with a 90ah battery not a nuclear power plant...
And we told you. All modchips can be installed in a way that they don't drain any power at all when the switch is off/sleep. And you can always go with dongle.

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And we told you. All modchips can be installed in a way that they don't drain any power at all when the switch is off/sleep. And you can always go with dongle.

Now I know, I'll look into it, I still think changing the bootrom would be better but eh, gotta do with what we have...

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Now I know, I'll look into it, I still think changing the bootrom would be better but eh, gotta do with what we have...
Good luck opening the tegra x1 (or K1? idk) itself and replacing the bootrom without any special equipment. Maybe it is actually impossible depending on where it is placed and how.

It is somewhere in there, trust me :D
upload_2019-7-27_16-20-23.png

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup