Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OK, but changing the rom every time I want to play an other game? For me that´s absolutly silly. As I wrote above there are two reasons for me to use custom firmwares or flashcards:

1) Put all my games on one modul, so that I don´t must change the modul if I want to play an other game.
2) Run homebrew like emulators.

For me that´s more work as simply go to my cabinet and change the original moduls. If I use the flashcard I must remove the flashcard, put the micro-sd card onto my computer, delete the old rom, copy the new rom I want to play, put the micro-sd card into flashcard and put the flashcard into the 3DS and that every time I want to play an other game? Lol. Extremly silly and too time intensive.

I cant belive that this is the finish of Crown3DS. I think if they want to release a card, than there is a file-manager and the option to copy so much games onto your card until the space is full.
Listen.

*sighs*

Creating CFW for a system nobody knows anything about is tough, it takes countless RAM dumps, countless tests, countless hours spent drawing schematics of both the hardware and software and MONTHS of coding and testing, provided you have a whole TEAM of hackers working on it.

Cloning a cartridge takes a mutimeter, a soldergun, compatible components, a breadboard and dumped ROM contents. Obviously if you want the board to be multi-purpose then some design has to be introduced, but this does not change the fact that such a board could be created Day 1.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Those are the two reasons FOR YOU, exactly. Most just want to play games without paying.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
OK, but that was the reason why we´re talking past each other.
What you're assuming is that DS flashcarts = hardware solution and that's not entirely the case.

The DS uses flashcarts only because the original design did not have any internal storage from which you could boot - the whole loading procedure works on the basis on a software exploit.

Compared to for example Gameboy flashcarts, which are copies of original cartridges with a really small Assembly program to choose between images it's *entirely* different.

IF the DS had some internal storage from which ROM's could be booted, there would be no reason whatsoever to use the flashcart in the first place. Remember, first SLOT-1 cards did jack - everything was loaded from SLOT-2, hence the term "PASS ME". In fact, custom firmware for the DS actually allowed to skip the whole PASS ME deal and load directly from SLOT-2, but since integrated PASS ME was developed, nobody cares about it anymore.

My point is, no exploit has been found yet in the 3DS, at least not a usable one. Firmware is not 100% understood yet, thus no unsigned code can run, thus no Custom Firmware or backup loaders. The only options are pure hardware solutions at this point.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ähm, but... wait: As we know it doesent work only copy a game 1:1. If this would work thay could release the card. They must change something that the gamecopy work and changing means to need a new sign... or expolit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ähm, but... wait: As we know it doesent work only copy a game 1:1. If this would work thay could release the card. They must change something that the gamecopy work and changing means to need a new sign... or expolit.
They don't have to change jack. When you take off your shirt and let someone else wear it, does the shirt change? No.

When they dump a proper from the cartridge and put it on another, virtually the same cartridge then the content remains the same and the sign remains intact, I clarified that in the most comperhensible way possible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OK and where is the problem, that they can´t release the card if it is so easy?
Because every cartridge is different, just like every key is different.

If I understand Nintendo's press release correctly, there's a degree of hardware AP checks in the 3DS - it checks if the cartridge is compatible with the image and vice-versa before booting, hence every game needs a different, specified type of a cartridge.

They want to release a multi-cart - a cartridge that will be recognizable for the 3DS as valid no matter what game it will carry. Making a clone of a single cartridge is pretty easy, making a cartridge that can mimic all isn't. It's like trying to create a key that opens all possible locks - there's a lot of design involved and you have no guarantee that it will work unless you physically place all possible combinations of chips on the PCB, making it XBox Hueg.

Reactions: 1 person

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If it is so easy why is there nobody else who want to make money with selling flashcards? I think it isn´t so easy ony copy 1:1 a game and put it into a flashcard. I think the 3DS have some more checks included as we know for now. It´s the same as an pc game: You cant copy an pc game with a good copy protection with a simple klick.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If it is so easy why is there nobody else who want to make money with selling flashcards? I think it isn´t so easy ony copy 1:1 a game and put it into a flashcard. I think the 3DS have some more checks included as we know for now. It´s the same as an pc game: You cant copy an pc game with a good copy protection with a simple klick.
You're mistaking discs with FLASH. There is no way to distinguish between two FLASH chips other than looking at the serial number of the chip with your *eyes*, the system doesn't give two flips about it. Moreover, the serial number cannot be used in AP since every chip has a different serial and every ROM is the same - the chips are picked at random, there is no rule here.

As an example I could show you DeadlyFoez's video with Hot NAND Swapping on the Wii - the Wii signs applications and its NAND and yet Deadly is entirely capable of taking out the memory from the Wii and putting completely different memory into it, not only that, he can do it on the fly and the Wii doesn't care because it doesn't understand the difference.

Computers are capable to distinguish between copied and original discs because there's a physical difference between a burned and a pressed disc and it can easily pick it up. If that difference was nullified, the PC wouldn't know any better.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again?

Reactions: 2 people

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK and where is the problem, that they can´t release the card if it is so easy?
Because every cartridge is different, just like every key is different.

If I understand Nintendo's press release correctly, there's a degree of hardware AP checks in the 3DS - it checks if the cartridge is compatible with the image and vice-versa before booting, hence every game needs a different, specified type of a cartridge.

They want to release a multi-cart - a cartridge that will be recognizable for the 3DS as valid no matter what game it will carry. Making a clone of a single cartridge is pretty easy, making a cartridge that can mimic all isn't. It's like trying to create a key that opens all possible locks - there's a lot of design involved and you have no guarantee that it will work unless you physically place all possible combinations of chips on the PCB, making it XBox Hueg.
Ahhh, good explain. Now I understand. That´s locical. Thank you.

I nevertheless hope for an real Homebrew Channel. It can give us more than a flashcard.

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again?
Because I want to understand it and now I do (At least the basics and that´s enough for me)

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
lol, you're mistaking discs with FLASH. There is no way to distinguish between two FLASH chips other than looking at the serial number of the chip with your *eyes*, the system doesn't give two flips about it. Moreover, the serial number cannot be used in AP since every chip has a different serial and every ROM is the same - the chips are picked at random, there is no rule here.

As an example I could show you DeadlyFoez's video with Hot NAND Swapping on the Wii - the Wii signs applications and its NAND and yet Deadly is entirely capable of taking out the memory from the Wii and putting completely different memory into it, not only that, he can do it on the fly and the Wii doesn't care because it doesn't understand the difference.

Computers are capable to distinguish between copied and original discs because there's a physical difference between a burned and a pressed disc and it can easily pick it up. If that difference was nullified, the PC wouldn't know any better.
Plus PC DRMs are all about online activation nowadays.

hundredhead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the very least, they're not dead.

but is that at all good news?
i seriously wish it would die already, unless they show real progress, it's better to show nothing at all
while the real hackers are at work, they show next to nothing, but when they do, it's probably not for false hope

I'd rather have the "false hope" than get mad because of all the "real hackers" who haven't been releasing any work or progress. If it wasn't for crown 3ds then I probably would have sold my 3ds.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Last question: Have to sleep, its 03:30 o´clock in germany :D)
If the hackers can find an expolit and if we get a Homebrew-Channel, backuploader, etc., it´s possible to emulate all the things that the games and the 3DS need to identify a game as original? So it´s more usefull to get a homebrewchannel as a flashcard?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't be emulation then, we could just run unsigned code at that point. If you go price-wise, yes it'd be better than a flashcard. However, if a flashcard were made that had access to 3DS mode then they'd both be able to accomplish the same thing, in a general way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp