Hacking Crimson & Black

BillnTed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm trying to buy a crimson&black DS as a X-Mas present for my fiance. Problem is, I'm in Europe, where they're not offically available. Does anybody know of any regular-priced (~ 140 USD) or cheap online shops that ship to Germany? I don't care if the DS in American, Japanese or what-not.

I was looking at ordering one from amazon USA, but the last one there was sold while I was contemplating getting one.

You could give videogamesplus.ca a whirl - all the on-line stores in the U.K. are out of stock on every colour of DS and the local shops that get them are doing 3 game bundles only. I ordered one at 2 p.m. GMT and got dhl dispatch notification at 6 p.m. The C&B is $139, which came to £89 with shipping to the U.K. Can't see why Germany would be different.
I may get hit with duty and VAT (another £20), but it's cheaper than a bundle (have R4 already). A poster on another forum said it took only 2 days from order and the box was marked with 20 CDN, so didn't get charged duty & tax.
Good luck!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a US launch white DS Lite, and a US launch Crimson/Black DS Lite. The white DS Lite has a Hori on both top and bottom screens. The Crimson/Black DS Lite does not have anything on either screens at the moment (Hori on the way though). I can notice a a difference between the screens.Â

The viewing angle on the white DS Lite is noticeably better than on the Crimson/Black DS Lite. This might be due to the Hori on the white, but I'm not sure. There is definitely a tint to the white on the bottom screen on the Crimson/Black DS Lite though. However, whites in game do not show this tint.Â

Once I get the Hori in for my new Crimson/Black DS Lite, I'll compare the screens again.

Please tell me you didn't order them from somewhere. You know most US Targets carry them, right?

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
I'm trying to buy a crimson&black DS as a X-Mas present for my fiance. Problem is, I'm in Europe, where they're not offically available. Does anybody know of any regular-priced (~ 140 USD) or cheap online shops that ship to Germany? I don't care if the DS in American, Japanese or what-not.

I was looking at ordering one from amazon USA, but the last one there was sold while I was contemplating getting one.
Apparently, SuperUFO is a decent store ...

On topic: Yes, the screen quality is NOTICEABLY lower, but there's little I can do, since it was bought in Hong Kong. I just got used to it and it's still okay. At least it's exterior is very pretty
wub.gif

BillnTed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I ordered one at 2 p.m. GMT and got dhl dispatch notification at 6 p.m. The C&B is $139, which came to £89 with shipping to the U.K. Can't see why Germany would be different.
I may get hit with duty and VAT (another £20), but it's cheaper than a bundle (have R4 already). A poster on another forum said it took only 2 days from order and the box was marked with 20 CDN, so didn't get charged duty & tax.
Got it today, just under 48 hours from ordering. Another £5 in HMV for a 3-pin charger (GAME: £8!) and I'm one happy bunny. Deffo use them again.

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

You could give videogamesplus.ca a whirl - all the on-line stores in the U.K. are out of stock on every colour of DS and the local shops that get them are doing 3 game bundles only. I ordered one at 2 p.m. GMT and got dhl dispatch notification at 6 p.m. The C&B is $139, which came to £89 with shipping to the U.K. Can't see why Germany would be different.
Good luck!
Sounds really good, even more so considering the lightning-fast delivery. But I've talked a friend in the US into buying and shipping one for me in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice anyways, I might give videogamesplus.ca a try the next time I need a DS.
wink.gif

Godot0102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a crimson & black through Amazon and both screens are noticeably yellower than my DSL black. I compared it side by side to my black DSL and friend's white DSL--both the black and white DSL's appear exactly the same. They have whiter whites and a slightly "sparkly" LCD, but much more intense images. The c&b DSLite I just got is yellowed on both screens, has a greatly reduced viewing angle, and is dimmer. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see this.

From the reports I've found in this thread and other places online I think it's probably not a matter of what color your DSL is. I figure this is an LCD panel switching game Nintendo is probably playing based on where the particular DSLite is assembled.

DELL and Apple have had this sort of issue debated over their laptop and desktop LCD panels. Identical model numbers come out with different panels depending on where they were assembled. Some screens use Samsung twisted nematic panels others use LG S-IPS panels, so one ghosts but has a great viewing angle, the other has great response time but "sparkles" and has weak blacks.. yet according to the package they're all the "same" monitor/laptop..

Has anyone actually opened up two DSL's with the different screens to see exactly what panels are inside?

Good information. I was thinking that the screen yellowed because the lcd had been exposed to moisture.

I have opened my ds and have looked and the panels, too bad i didn't write down the info from them. LCD info would be helpful for people who don't like their screen and maybe they could switch to a better quality screen.

edd722

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just got a crimson & black through Amazon and both screens are noticeably yellower than my DSL black. I compared it side by side to my black DSL and friend's white DSL--both the black and white DSL's appear exactly the same. They have whiter whites and a slightly "sparkly" LCD, but much more intense images. The c&b DSLite I just got is yellowed on both screens, has a greatly reduced viewing angle, and is dimmer. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see this.

From the reports I've found in this thread and other places online I think it's probably not a matter of what color your DSL is. I figure this is an LCD panel switching game Nintendo is probably playing based on where the particular DSLite is assembled.

DELL and Apple have had this sort of issue debated over their laptop and desktop LCD panels. Identical model numbers come out with different panels depending on where they were assembled. Some screens use Samsung twisted nematic panels others use LG S-IPS panels, so one ghosts but has a great viewing angle, the other has great response time but "sparkles" and has weak blacks.. yet according to the package they're all the "same" monitor/laptop..

Has anyone actually opened up two DSL's with the different screens to see exactly what panels are inside?

Will u post a quick comparison please?

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My crimson black has perfect screen and the 2 onyx i bought at the same time have the yellowish screen. Doesnt seem to be related to the crimson model per se...

JDMFanatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Crimson DS isn't limited or anything right? I'm thinking about trading my old DS Fat in for this thing.

How much does Gamestop give for a DS? I also have a few games I can trade in since I just acquired my MicroSD card. Will they even give me around 8$ a game and 40$ for the DS? I think they give you more towards trade-ins but I don't know. My DS is in pretty good condition except for some minor scratches I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu