OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuglx.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've been talking to my sister recently...telling her about how great Zelda is. She wants to play too, but she doesn't have a DS. So, there's the Crimson & Black one. Here comes the question(s). I remember on the launch day, the internet was full of reports that the screen wasn't as good/bright as the previous Lite releases. Is this still the case?

And another thing. Aside from eBay, anybody know where you can buy them new for less than the $129?

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, i believe they lowered the quality of the screens a bit before they started making the red and black ones, so all of them would have the bad screens

Topsy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found it a big difference simply because of the way smaller viewing angle on the LCDs... On my black DSL, "Crach of the titans" looks fine holding the DSL normal - on my crimson DSL, the angle of the top screen (when holding the DSL the same as the black was) is enough to make it difficult to play because the whole screen darkens so much more off angle when compared to the black DSL.

I actually just finished switching cases on my DSLs to get the good LCDs in the crimson shell. Gonna sell the black one now (I can't stand the fingerprints!).

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I've been talking to my sister recently...telling her about how great Zelda is. She wants to play too, but she doesn't have a DS. So, there's the Crimson & Black one. Here comes the question(s). I remember on the launch day, the internet was full of reports that the screen wasn't as good/bright as the previous Lite releases. Is this still the case?

And another thing. Aside from eBay, anybody know where you can buy them new for less than the $129?

Is the crimson black a preferred colour? If not, just get any colour. Silver, white and black look good IMO. And for the price, go to Future Shop. Right now they're about $120.

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a crimson and... no problems here
yaynds.gif

johnnywalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've got one (imported from USA, of course) and it's beautiful... outside
smile.gif

Inside: the lower screen is yellow-like, when in game it is not as bad as on the white screen.

Anyway, it's a damn good DSL.

Nitepanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, I bought a crimson DS lite and a black ds lite and a white DS lite for my family about a week ago because I took a trip to the US for christmas shopping for my family. Somehow, they found out about the DSes and asked me if they could open them now, so I let them and then it turned out the crimson actually has the higher quality screen. The black was the worst, the white was middle, and the crimson was the least noticeable. The black DS lite pretty much shows all white as this yellowy beige colour.

F34R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a US launch white DS Lite, and a US launch Crimson/Black DS Lite. The white DS Lite has a Hori on both top and bottom screens. The Crimson/Black DS Lite does not have anything on either screens at the moment (Hori on the way though). I can notice a a difference between the screens.

The viewing angle on the white DS Lite is noticeably better than on the Crimson/Black DS Lite. This might be due to the Hori on the white, but I'm not sure. There is definitely a tint to the white on the bottom screen on the Crimson/Black DS Lite though. However, whites in game do not show this tint.

Once I get the Hori in for my new Crimson/Black DS Lite, I'll compare the screens again.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've been talking to my sister recently...telling her about how great Zelda is.  She wants to play too, but she doesn't have a DS.  So, there's the Crimson & Black one.  Here comes the question(s).  I remember on the launch day, the internet was full of reports that the screen wasn't as good/bright as the previous Lite releases.  Is this still the case?

And another thing.  Aside from eBay, anybody know where you can buy them new for less than the $129?

Is the crimson black a preferred colour?
Yes, it is the best looking DS.

F34R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll agree with that. It's a really great looking Lite. I waited to get a second DS for its' release.

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've been talking to my sister recently...telling her about how great Zelda is. She wants to play too, but she doesn't have a DS. So, there's the Crimson & Black one. Here comes the question(s). I remember on the launch day, the internet was full of reports that the screen wasn't as good/bright as the previous Lite releases. Is this still the case?

And another thing. Aside from eBay, anybody know where you can buy them new for less than the $129?

Is the crimson black a preferred colour?

in my opinion yes because, it looks awesome
tongue.gif
well, ive always loved twotone colors and this one just blew me away
biggrin.gif
i just had to get it
tongue.gif

darkzeroex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when i got my first crimson black ds, just about a day afterward i noticed that the bottom screen had a noticeable yellow tint to it. I returned it and recieved the one i have now but i still do see a slight yellow tint on the lower screen but nothing too bad.

soupy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a crimson & black through Amazon and both screens are noticeably yellower than my DSL black. I compared it side by side to my black DSL and friend's white DSL--both the black and white DSL's appear exactly the same. They have whiter whites and a slightly "sparkly" LCD, but much more intense images. The c&b DSLite I just got is yellowed on both screens, has a greatly reduced viewing angle, and is dimmer. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see this.

From the reports I've found in this thread and other places online I think it's probably not a matter of what color your DSL is. I figure this is an LCD panel switching game Nintendo is probably playing based on where the particular DSLite is assembled.

DELL and Apple have had this sort of issue debated over their laptop and desktop LCD panels. Identical model numbers come out with different panels depending on where they were assembled. Some screens use Samsung twisted nematic panels others use LG S-IPS panels, so one ghosts but has a great viewing angle, the other has great response time but "sparkles" and has weak blacks.. yet according to the package they're all the "same" monitor/laptop..

Has anyone actually opened up two DSL's with the different screens to see exactly what panels are inside?

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm trying to buy a crimson&black DS as a X-Mas present for my fiance. Problem is, I'm in Europe, where they're not offically available. Does anybody know of any regular-priced (~ 140 USD) or cheap online shops that ship to Germany? I don't care if the DS in American, Japanese or what-not.

I was looking at ordering one from amazon USA, but the last one there was sold while I was contemplating getting one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass