• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Cricket News: S.African bowler Wayne Parnell converts to Islam

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
South African fast bowler Wayne Parnell in a statement on Thursday announced his conversion to Islam from Christianity, Times of India reported on Friday.

He has also changed his named to Waleed after his conversion to Islam earlier in January this year.

Parnell confirmed in the statement that he has been studying about Islam and will celebrate his 22nd birthday as a Muslim on Friday.

Parnell said:
“While I have not yet decided on an Islamic name I have considered the name Waleed which means Newborn Son, but for now my name remains Wayne Dillon Parnell. I will continue to respect the team’s endorsement of alcoholic beverages. I am playing cricket in Sussex and this is my immediate focus.”

The South African cricket team manager, a Muslim by faith, Mohamed Moosajee said that Parnell’s Muslim teammates – Hashim Amla and Imran Tahir – did not influence his decision to convert from Christianity.

Moosajee said:
“Wayne already decided a few months ago to follow Islam. The decision to convert was his own decision, but I know nothing of the name change.”

Parnell’s fellow players, reportedly said they believed that he is very serious about the conversion and had not ‘touched a drop of alcohol’ ever since he converted to Islam.

He is the second Christian cricketer to have converted to Islam after Pakistan’s Yousuf Yohana (now Mohammad Yousuf) in 2006.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

It's great to hear one of my favourite SA player turning to our side!!
yay.gif
!!

Best part is, he never touched a drop of Alcohol ever since he became a Muslim.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
30084pm said:
machomuu said:
30084pm said:
wow... that's news?
Don't we have better things to worry about?
He posted it like news, but it's in the "Off-Topic Section".
/facepalm
silly me...
Bwahaa, you really did a silly thing
wink.gif
I'd never post this on USN LOL! I just wanted to post it on General Off-Topic because I was happy to read this news xD

Ok ok, here take a Snow Cone and Cookie.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I don't know what to say... Cool?
But I don't get the name change. Why do so many converts change their name to an Arabic one? It's completely moronic IMO.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Pyrmon said:
But I don't get the name change. Why do so many converts change their name to an Arabic one? It's completely moronic IMO.
Well I agree to that, but having a Christian name when you're a Muslim feels odd.
unsure.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SamAsh07 said:
Pyrmon said:
Well I agree to that, but having a Christian name when you're a Muslim feels odd.
unsure.gif
It's not a Christian name. It's an American/European one. And I really don't see how it could feel odd.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
30084pm said:
machomuu said:
30084pm said:
wow... that's news?
Don't we have better things to worry about?
He posted it like news, but it's in the "Off-Topic Section".
/facepalm
silly me...
Bwahaa, you really did a silly thing
wink.gif
I'd never post this on USN LOL! I just wanted to post it on General Off-Topic because I was happy to read this news xD

Ok ok, here take a Snow Cone and Cookie.
OMNOMNOM...

I just don't see how this is significant... okay, good for the guy! Be who you want to be.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol, sportsman nobody knows from a sport no one cares about. Hope this makes him happy but who cares outside of a bunch of old men?

EDIT: OK it seems the (way too late)death of cricket is a UK thing. Still seems very popular in some places.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
cwstjdenobs said:
Lol, sportsman nobody knows from a sport no one cares about. Hope this makes him happy but who cares outside of a bunch of old men?

EDIT: OK it seems the (way too late)death of cricket is a UK thing. Still seems very popular in some places.
It's popular in UK too last I checked.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
It's popular in UK too last I checked.

That's the bunch of old men.

Nah not really. Every year they are whinging about money problems, dwindling fanbase, and lack of anyone under 40 wanting to play the game.

EDIT:County cricket is pretty much dead. International brings in money from visiting fans but not Brits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro