Creating your own NDS Patch

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Blazer, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008

Creating your own NDS Patch by Blazer at 6:37 AM (3,921 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Blazer
    OP

Member Blazer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm going to be straightforward. I need to create a patch for an NDS ROM-- the original and the compiled ones are very different and things like Tsukiyomi (.UPS patcher) won't work. I've heard of things like XDelta however after using the search feature and google I have not come up with much. Help is appreciated.

- Blazer

P.S. Move to the correct forum as needed, as I was/am unsure where this belongs.

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    What kind of patch? [​IMG]

3. Blazer
    OP

United States
    A 'patch' that will look at the differences between 2 ROMs and apply the differences to the original ROM to create the new ROM. As said, .ups won't work because I have edited the files in the decompiled ROM folders rather than directly editing through 64 MB of a ROM.

4. Blazer
    OP

United States
    It's not in my ideals to double post, but I kind of need to know about this... I mean, how do you guys make patches when you make hacks? >.>

5. 9thSage

Member 9thSage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, when I needed to do such a thing (*cough*) I used PPF Studio. It should do exactly what you want...compare the clean ROM and the edited one, and make a patch with the differences.

6. Blazer
    OP

United States
    I tried it, and I got a 72 MB ROM. The problem is that the new ROM isn't the same size as the old ROM, and the size of some of the files has changed, which, I think, "pushes" other data and causes it to be in a different place; a typical patcher won't know that though, and will see it as the whole ROM being different. It's quite the problem, and although I don't know if there is a solution, I hope there is.

Come to think of it, if the data is that different, it's like trying to make a patch between Pokemon Diamond and Super Mario Bros. Advance-- Phail!

If there's no way to make a patch for this, then what SHOULD I do?