Creating custom Doom Wads

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by garbin, Sep 20, 2012.

Sep 20, 2012

Creating custom Doom Wads by garbin at 9:12 PM (739 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. garbin
    OP

Newcomer garbin Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi there

I've played my original Doom wads to oblivion on DS Doom and now fancy a go at some of the custom wads produced by all those Doom fans out there. Only thing is whilst I can donwload the pwads and have the original iwads I can't figure out how to combine the two to make a workable wad for use with DS Doom. I have lumptool which I believe can combine wads but it's pretty sparse on help.

I am aware that if I install a DS OS that supports ARGV I could use the command line feature of DS Doom but I'm kind of fond of the OS that comes with my flash card (DSTwo) and don't really want to change it.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
    Garbin

*** OK, having read/experimented a bit more I now know that DOOM pwads built for the BOOM engine work without any modification/merging. But I'd still like to know if there is any way to convert those not originally built for BOOM ***

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i do believe that the ds2 supports .argv files by default. i think that is how bassacegold was able to incorporate direct rom loading for various emulators in his ds2 kernel.

with that said, you don't need to run a new kernel, you simply run the homebrew "homebrew menu".

here are instructions:
    1. open notepad or any format stripping text editor
    2. type the following line: dsdoom.nds -iwad doom2.wad -file PWADNAME.wad -save PWADNAME
    ^^ assumes your dsdoom is named "dsdoom.nds" you are using doom2, etc...
    3. save the file as PWADNAME.ARGV
    4. run homebrew menu and select the .ARGV file
    5. hb menu does the rest, launching the specific build of doom and your pwad together

^^ these instructions assume you have dsdoom set up correctly, the right versions of doom, the right file names, etc.

boom was a particular engine that only supported certain things. engines like zdoom had dynamic lighting or jumping, etc. these wads can not work on boom unless you edit parts of them, alter behavior, etc. you would first need to understand the differences between the engines, then understand what the wad is utilizing from that specific engine, before you even began this.

if you just want to merge boom pwads into iwads try the dos application wintex. i used it to make about 100 iwads before the hb menu update was released.

while you are playing around with doom wads, make sure you give Earth by Roger Ritenour some play.

-another world

3. garbin
    OP

Newcomer garbin Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that - I'll give it a go. :)