creating and porting homebrew games

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mrissaoussama, Mar 2, 2016.

1. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    Is it easy? Like just configuring controls and convert it to 3dsx? Ported homebrew games are appearing very fast, how do I do that if that is possible, for example I'd like to port plants vs zombies to the 3ds.

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    This reminds me of that one thread about changing an exe to 3dsx. but no. It was simple for doom because it was really just get emulated on dosbox for the 3ds. Ports for newer games are normally bad because the ports are made by lots of coding that may take a while. Also have you heard of the question mark? You should really add that if your go to make the name of your thread look like a how to or something.

3. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    No, it's not easy. 'Converting it to 3dsx' is a mammoth oversimplification of the process.

What do you mean by 'fast'? That would surely depend on when the programmer started working on it. It might have taken months from starting the project to getting to the point of releasing something.

Impossible. You need the source code to port anything, and Plants Vs. Zombies is not open source.

SLiV3R and Mrrraou like this.
  4. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 11, 2014
    Italy
    Rome
    Porting an homebrew is usually simpler than coding it from scratch. If the code is highly portable (i.e based on standard libraries), there is the possibility that you only need to digit the "make" command, but more usually you have to be an expert coder, experienced of the target system (and sometime of the source system too).

If you need to adapt I/O functions calls or system calls, It's a creative task, not something that can be automated.

Last edited by nop90, Mar 2, 2016
    SLiV3R likes this.
  5. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Porting is not as easy as it might seem. Porting can only happen if the source code is public or you are the original creator (and as such have access to the source code). When porting other system's homebrew it's also not as easy as just running 'make' in the command line. Often times it's not your code so you'll first have to learn how the game is programmed (where rendering and inputs are done primarily), this requires a understanding of some sort of the source system (how it handles rendering and inputs etc.) so you know what is even going on in the code. After you know what the code does and how it does it you'll have to rewrite huge parts if not nearly everything from the rendering, input, fs etc. code to work with the other system.

Now in some cases this is easier then others, but in all cases it's not as simple as opening a program putting game for system 1 in and expecting the game to come out as a 3dsx.

6. Noelemahc

Noelemahc GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Plants vs Zombies is on sale for DSiWare. You can play DSiWare on the 3DS legally. GO BUY IT like a normal person.

7. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    I think ported games for the 3ds is appearing very slow. Max a couple of ported games per month.

If there were a couple of ported games per week, then I could agree with your statement.

8. Luglige

Luglige Resident Hell Spawn

Jan 24, 2016
    Antarctica
    under your bed
    If porting were easy we would have Farcry 3 and Crysis 3 on 3ds and 2ds running 60 fps...