Create EmuNAND without formatting the whole SD-Card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DJPlayer, Jul 18, 2015.

1. DJPlayer
    OP

DJPlayer Banned

Banned
    May 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hey Guys,

since EmuNAND for N3DS is possible through ReiNAND, I wanted to test it out.
    Right now, I've a SD Card without EmuNAND-Partition.
    I'm using a 64GB SD Card which has only 4GB left.
    I don't want to wipe or dump my SD-Card just to create a EmuNAND Partition and copy all my stuff back to it.
    THis will take a lot of time...

Is there a way to create a EmuNAND partition without the need to wipe my SD Card?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not possible. It has to repartition the SD card to make space for the NAND, and there's no way around that.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It MIGHT be possible to do every step manually and resize the existing partition, but that would probably take even MORE time.

4. DJPlayer
    OP

DJPlayer Banned

Banned
    May 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    I can Resize the SD-Partition and create a new Partition with EASEUS Partition Master. This won't take that much time.
    Possibly I could create a EmuNAND Partition on a 2GB SD-Card, copy this parition over to the another SD Card, resized with EASUES Partition master?

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    That might work? I don't know. That said, the time involved to experiment with everything, try and make sure it works etc would probably take longer than just going the format + copy back route. Besides, chances are resizing the partition might be bad for the SD card like defragmenting.

6. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Push back the FAT32 partition about 1GB, leaving the part before it unpartitioned.
    Then make a NAND dump and write it to SD.

7. DJPlayer
    OP

DJPlayer Banned

Banned
    May 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    will try it. Could you tell me how much Space I actually need for a EmuNAND for N3DS (N3DS Nand is a way bigger than the o3DS Nand)?

8. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Do you realise that if you did just format + copy back instead of asking for a workaround it would be already over by now ?

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This will move existing data and might take a long time. It's no better than copying the files manually.