Create ACToolkit for Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by keine, Oct 30, 2010.

Oct 30, 2010

Create ACToolkit for Wii? by keine at 11:00 PM (914 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. keine

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

Aug 29, 2010
    United States
    I want to make an app for the Wii that would act similar to the ACToolkit app on windows.
    It would be convenient due to the possibility of grabbing and interacting w/ the save file already on the Wii, rather than having to transfer it over.
    I wanted to start w/ just one function. Open a save file, display the map, and then show the location of the fossils on the map.
    How hard would this be? I have a feeling that reversing the save game file and locations/item values of the map would probably be the very hardest thing. Doesn't look like ACToolkit is open source, but maybe the other would give some pointers or release source.
  2. conanac

Member conanac Be an Angel

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    A couple of points:

1. If you want to allow the users of this potential tool to edit then you need to figure out the checksums in the savegame file.
    They are in several places. Fortunately, they are standard (except for one section).
    2. You could learn about the item coordinates mapping (in the town map) at least from the real-time world edit gecko code
    that was created by the member of that team.
    3. You could also find the list of hexcode numbers (two-byte numbers) for fossils from the link in that website.

I would suggest to use USB Gecko + Wiird (or geckodotNet) for learning where the checksum locations are, etc.

Good luck with your journey and have a fun time.