Create a game genre

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Wizerzak, Oct 31, 2011.

Oct 31, 2011

Create a game genre by Wizerzak at 10:58 PM (697 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Inspired by some of the ideas in this thread I decided to see how imaginative the temp could be in coming up with our own genres!

All you have to do is think of a totally new genre (harder option) and explain what it would be like / how it would work

or

mix multiple (I'll say no more than 3, otherwise it's stupid) existing genres together and explain why your mix would be awesome (ie. don't just pick 2 random ones for the sake of it)

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Virtual FPS - Yeah they probally have it but I mean implemented into Kinect or something.

Edit: You spelt Quartermaster wrong in your member title. Just 'sayin.

3. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    So I did, thanks :P

Nice idea, have you seen The Gadget Show's FPS simulator, it's like the definition of awesome:

[yt]eg8Bh5iI2WY[/yt]

Is that what you're referring to?
    (I hope that shows in your country).

4. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Virtual Henta--

No never mind. It's so awesome that it's impossible to describe how it works. :creep:

5. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Realistic Pirate Game

6. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    It sort of already exists (Seiklus being my main example), but "Exploration." Games without a real plot, but rather just a big fetch quest in a large area. Of course, there could be things like enemies, obstacles, bosses, and other challenges mixed in as well. But basically just a game where the main focus is exploring the areas in a game.

7. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    I think you mean sandbox; all you basically do is freely conquer the whole map (i.e. GTA).

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Not sandbox. GTA is NOT solely a sandbox game. Neither is Minecraft. A good example of an solely sandbox game is Garry's Mod. Not to mention, sandbox games are more about being able to do whatever you want. In my "Exploration" genre, you can't really do much aside from walk around, or jump or whatever.

9. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Harem RPG, but one that's in-depth and has elements from serious dating sims like Love Plus or Tokimeki Memorial as well as be an RPG but both have to influence each (for example you get level up stat benefits from having high affection from this specific girl and having the specific girl in the party will result in more dates and higher affection levels, or if you give the girl a gift she likes then her stats in all categories for the next boss battle will increase by 10%)

10. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Ok when they get virtual reality working, i want to play a American Civil war game. Come on, a im sure shitarch or whoever makes MW or CoD or whatever just make one for their games a civil war one, slap the History channel logo on it and it will sell like hotcakes. Anyways i think it would be great to play a gorilla warfare game against the south with single fire rifles and sabers and horses ooooooooh id love it.

Also mixing anything with a "retro feel" like No More Heroes" kinda thing

11. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    MMOFPVN

Massively-Multiplayer Online First Person Visual Novel.

1 person likes this.
  12. dills2

Newcomer dills2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    a game where the genre changes each level im begging for this

13. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Jigsaw Puzzle Deathmatch

14. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Persona 3 and 4 would fit that genre, although it's hard to say it's a harem. It's like a mixture of VNs + jrpg aspects. You actually do associate with many female characters (and get into intimate relations), but you also associate with male characters. All of the relations (called "social links") increase as you communicate with characters; the social link affects how much experience your persona (your other self, which represents your stats, strengths/weaknesses, as well as skills you can use) when they are fused together to make a more powerful one. Higher your social link for that certain Arcana (divided into 22 different groups, which is equivalent to classes/jobs in other jrpgs) = More experience gained upon fusion of that Arcana. Your relationship with other characters doesn't affect much during battle, though.

15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    What was that quote from Raph Koster's "A theory of fun in game design" again?

*looks up*

Ah: here we are:

"It's a massively multiplayer strategy-based real-time shooter with RPG character development, puzzle game combat, a racing subgame and you play it on a dance mat"

(an example of a game being a "kitchen-sink design").

Anyhow...my personal choices:

-Guitar hero meets tetris. The classic song playing game, but each missed note puts a little brick on the bottom. Miss a same note too often, and it stacks up, hindering your view. Like tetris, you can lower the stack by making a complete line. Of course, missing other notes on purpose may lower your overall stack but won't be accepted by the virtual audience.

-RPG + RTS. warcraft 3 went somewhat in that direction with their "hero's", but at heart it was still a RTS. By contrast, I'm pretty much talking about an RPG where you don't play so much as a single character but as multiple trainable units that have to grow, expand, maintain itself and so on.

-tower defense FPS. yeah, quite some FPS nowadays have some "hold the line" missions in them, but afaik, they mostly want you to go from A to B. Why not revert that and put you a whole arsenal of mines, stationary turrets, boobie traps and all that stuff to make sure you don't HAVE to be everywhere at the same time to be able to properly defend?

16. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Horror RPG? I can't think of how you can pull that off correctly.