Crash Bandicoot 4 on PC requires a constant internet connection, despite having no online features

noload.jpeg

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time has finally come to PC, about five months after its initial release on consoles last October. Unfortunately, the PC version is exclusive to Battle.net and will require players to stay online at all times, despite the game not having any online functionality of any kind. As noted by Twitter user @RibShark and confirmed by the r/pcgaming subreddit, if a player attempts to boot the game without being able to log in to Battle.net, it will close and force you to try again. Of course, players aren't only prevented from logging in to Battle.net if their own connection is down; on the release day for Crash Bandicoot 4, Battle.net servers were down for two full hours, preventing players from playing the game they just purchased.

Always online requirements are often implemented as a form of DRM to prevent piracy. It doesn't appear to have helped in this case, however, as, according to Crackwatch.com, Crash Bandicoot 4 was cracked only a day after release. (We should also take this moment to remind readers that GBAtemp does not support or condone piracy, and any requests for or links to pirated content will be deleted and result in disciplinary action from the moderation team.)

:arrow: Source

chr1skrak3n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens if you map 127.0.0.1 to battle.net in your hosts file? Theoretically, pinging the server would return fine, since you're pinging your own computer. Not sure what the actual check is doing, but if it's naïve enough, it might just work.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If I ever wanted to play Crash 4, I would just buy the game for the Switch and play it on my console. Seriously, whoever came up with the idea to add the always-online requirement to the PC port is truly crazy.

I remember Nintendo did the same with all of its three games for Android and iOS, which contributed to get negative reviews from critics. I'm not surprised that they won't release any new games for smartphones; after all I will never play them because they all suck.

D

Deleted User

It's laughable, really. The purpose of requiring you to always be online is to prevent piracy... So the only way to play it on PC without being connected to the internet is by pirating it.

Remember kids, the only people who see the FBI warning at the beginning of every VHS tape are those who actually bought the movie.
If we are being fair, the people making bootleg tapes bought an original to make copies from

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
oh for fuck sakes WHY EVER GAME NEEDS WIFI
like someone doesnt have wifi BUT NO we must have wifi to play our games yea right
Who doesn't have Wi-Fi these days? Aside from the minority living in rural areas, pretty much everyone has it since it's practically a necessity these days.

Reactions: banjo2

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've avoided buying the last few Hitman games, for some reason I ended up buying Hitman 3.

The amount if problems I've had due to always on demand is a joke (connected via ethernet cable too - no issues with anything else).

It's like I've paid IO for a buggy game.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Who doesn't have Wi-Fi these days? Aside from the minority living in rural areas, pretty much everyone has it since it's practically a necessity these days.

You’d be surprised.

I regularly encounter elderly people (including my own grandmother) who don’t even have mobiles and recently when booking a short stay somewhere there were several places without it.

I’ve also stayed at places in the last few years where they did have free Wifi, but it was in the low Mbps/Kbps and would drop.

Even if you have mobile hotspot capability and a decent data plan like I do, if I were to visit my grandmother the signal can be dodgy on multiple networks.

lilalex

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
im still pissed about ONLINE ONLY games bruh i tried to paly predator hunting grounds and it needs wifi to work this makes me so angry

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’d be surprised.

I regularly encounter elderly people (including my own grandmother) who don’t even have mobiles and recently when booking a short stay somewhere there were several places without it.

I’ve also stayed at places in the last few years where they did have free Wifi, but it was in the low Mbps/Kbps and would drop.

Even if you have mobile hotspot capability and a decent data plan like I do, if I were to visit my grandmother the signal can be dodgy on multiple networks.
wonder if grandma picked those stays with shitty free wifi on purpose? perhaps to encourage you to spend time with her?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
wonder if grandma picked those stays with shitty free wifi on purpose? perhaps to encourage you to spend time with her?

You’re mixing up completely unrelated circumstances.

edit:
To be clear, she didn’t pick the places and in most case she wasn’t even there.

Last edited by tech3475,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think