Crash Bandicoot 4 on PC requires a constant internet connection, despite having no online features

noload.jpeg

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time has finally come to PC, about five months after its initial release on consoles last October. Unfortunately, the PC version is exclusive to Battle.net and will require players to stay online at all times, despite the game not having any online functionality of any kind. As noted by Twitter user @RibShark and confirmed by the r/pcgaming subreddit, if a player attempts to boot the game without being able to log in to Battle.net, it will close and force you to try again. Of course, players aren't only prevented from logging in to Battle.net if their own connection is down; on the release day for Crash Bandicoot 4, Battle.net servers were down for two full hours, preventing players from playing the game they just purchased.

Always online requirements are often implemented as a form of DRM to prevent piracy. It doesn't appear to have helped in this case, however, as, according to Crackwatch.com, Crash Bandicoot 4 was cracked only a day after release. (We should also take this moment to remind readers that GBAtemp does not support or condone piracy, and any requests for or links to pirated content will be deleted and result in disciplinary action from the moderation team.)

:arrow: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very well then, I think I'll pass on this one despites I have a constant internet connection.
Seriously, any fucking company who think it's a good idea to require this can simply fuck off and die! What kind of bullshit is this?! Don't they realise DRM keeps hurting the legit buyers?
The dev team certainly does. But the CEO and the brain damaged stockholders will throw a tantrum at any perceived (real or not) possibility of not getting ALL OF THE MONEY for a product.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's reasons like this that actually gives crackers purpose. Times like these, they are heroes.
Believe it or not, there are still some people living in an area that doesn't have access to high speed internet connections, and as a PC Gamer that lived without internet for a long time, this shit infuriates me.

Imagine being a Crash fan, buying this game, downloading it at a friend's house or paying for hotspot access somewhere to download only to realize you wasted your money and cant play the game you just bought without internet... Like it's idiotic, really.

That's why DRM-free options and those noCD cracks are fantastic and yeah, piracy is wrong and you should support game devs, but I'm guilty of pirating games I purchased on steam just so I can have a copy I can install and play without an internet connection. So in some cases like this, yeah, I completely agree. Crack groups are the unsung heroes of video game preservation.

Raven_Raving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
As I've said before on my account, DRMs are bullshit.

Preventing piracy and going out of your way to try to prevent it costs a lot both in labour, manpower and in capital.

Instead we should just have DRM-free games being bought and if they are pirated it is most likely because that person either cannot buy the game or cannot afford it outright. And most pirates I have ran into have confirmed this. Piracy should be allowed but discouraged, and donation to developers should be advertised/encouraged. This is the best way to keep the developer afloat and to stop wasting countless hours and dollars on anti-piracy measures that don't work 100% of the time.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time has finally come to PC, about five months after its initial release on consoles last October. Unfortunately, the PC version is exclusive to Battle.net and will require players to stay online at all times, despite the game not having any online functionality of any kind. As noted by Twitter user @RibShark and confirmed by the r/pcgaming subreddit, if a player attempts to boot the game without being able to log in to Battle.net, it will close and force you to try again. Of course, players aren't only prevented from logging in to Battle.net if their own connection is down; on the release day for Crash Bandicoot 4, Battle.net servers were down for two full hours, preventing players from playing the game they just purchased.

Always online requirements are often implemented as a form of DRM to prevent piracy. It doesn't appear to have helped in this case, however, as, according to Crackwatch.com, Crash Bandicoot 4 was cracked only a day after release. (We should also take this moment to remind readers that GBAtemp does not support or condone piracy, and any requests for or links to pirated content will be deleted and result in disciplinary action from the moderation team.)

Buy only from GOG and never suffer such disappointment again

Reactions: eskinner3742

Lunar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've said before on my account, DRMs are bullshit.

Preventing piracy and going out of your way to try to prevent it costs a lot both in labour, manpower and in capital.

Instead we should just have DRM-free games being bought and if they are pirated it is most likely because that person either cannot buy the game or cannot afford it outright. And most pirates I have ran into have confirmed this. Piracy should be allowed but discouraged, and donation to developers should be advertised/encouraged. This is the best way to keep the developer afloat and to stop wasting countless hours and dollars on anti-piracy measures that don't work 100% of the time.
Developers don't think this way though. Especially in the US piracy is considered a loss in revenue which is why companies spend thousands of dollars on DRM solutions. Companies see a model like this risky because it doesn't guarantee revenue.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man?!?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

literally rdr2 took over a year to crack and it didn't have always online drm yet this game gates cracked in about a day lmao
when its online or has anticonsumer bullshit people have a lot more of an incentive to actually crack it

Who doesn't have Wi-Fi these days? Aside from the minority living in rural areas, pretty much everyone has it since it's practically a necessity these days.
that doesn't make it ok however

It's nice to bring back classic platformers.
Next we need Klonoa 3 (Please Namco!)
bruh im still wating but its not happening in a million years mate
namco hasnt even touched that series ever since the wii remake, hell they havent even mentioned them

these assholes trying to be like ubisoft now?
as if they weren't already!?!?

its actually a good game, just get it on a different console
no way bruh i aint getting the inferior console versions just because activision are still stuck in 2013
buy that shit then get a pirated copy and call it a day

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing it on another platform is all well and good, but the base PS4 version is an unstable mess. Game isn't even capped at 30 or 60, but uses a shitty uncapped 40-60 FPS framerate. Who was the idiot that decided that was a good idea? :rolleyes: In terms of speed, the Switch port is a far superior experience, being capped at a stable 30 fps, and since I don't have a PS4 Pro or PS5, I really don't have much of a choice if I want 60 or 120 FPS. So... be a shame if I pirated a game I already owned.

I figure, already gave them money, so I'm clearly justified in getting a version of the game that's cracked, and then uninstalling Battle.net so I don't have to suffer from DRM. What're they gonna do, block my IP address from playing a game I bought and then pirated? Love to see them do that.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The money they're wasting on incorporating some sort of DRM and even the servers they use to verify activations could just as easily go back into their fat cat pockets.

Their concern is money, though. It isn't necessarily the outcome, but their thoughts are on money. They look at this shit as an investment.

Raven_Raving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Developers don't think this way though. Especially in the US piracy is considered a loss in revenue which is why companies spend thousands of dollars on DRM solutions. Companies see a model like this risky because it doesn't guarantee revenue.

What a load of rubbish. I hate the attitude of AAA companies, I mean their games aren't as good as indie games lol, only good AAA company is Nintendo and its partners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: :ninja:4