Crap, I forgot to backup my Miis!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by syst3merror, Jan 30, 2009.

1. syst3merror
    OP

syst3merror GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    Indiana
    Ok, I wanted to start fresh on my Wii so I updated to 3.4 and then reformatted my Wii to erase everything I've ever done on it (trial and error every mod released so far).

Now I have a fresh Wii and have just finished installing SoftMii 0.9.5 and Preloader .27 but it just dawned on me that I had forgotten to backup my Miis when I backed up everything else (all my game saves and channels)

I did use FS Browser and dumped my entire system NAND so is there any way of recovering my Miis from it?

Thanks a lot guys, I know I can count on you!

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    They're stored in the Wiimote, aren't they?

3. syst3merror
    OP

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    Indiana
    only if you are wanting to take your wii with you to another console.

4. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Former Staff
    Oct 14, 2007
    Mexico
    Pto. Vallarta
    You could try to repack your MiiChannel from your FS dump and install it, maybe that work...!! [​IMG]

5. syst3merror
    OP

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    Indiana
    lmao care to try helping ether because I don't know anything about this stuff. [​IMG]

6. Helsionium

Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Jul 18, 2008
    Australia
    Innsbruck, Austria
    If you can use a hex-editor, want to invest some time and read the documentation of the Mii data format over on wiibrew.org, you could extract the Miis one by one from \shared2\menu\FaceLib\RFL_DB.dat - the format of the Miis in your Mii Parade might be different and you might be unable to recover them.

I suggest you create a new Mii in your Mii Channel, export it with waninkoko's Mii Extractor, then extract the Miis from the RFL_DB.dat file to match the format of waninkoko's tools, so you can easily install them with waninkoko's Mii Importer.

I hope you know what to do because I will not be able to check back on this topic until the day after tomorrow.

7. syst3merror
    OP

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    Indiana
    shouldn't I be able to just replace my RFL_DB.dat from my backup to my current system?

8. TrickyTony

TrickyTony GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    Hhaha maaaann I forgot to backup ALL my saves. For future reference games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros that won't copy to SD is there a method to get those saves?

9. syst3merror
    OP

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    Indiana
    you can use the no copy hack with preloader or use the save extractor

10. Golfman560

Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Dec 29, 2008
    Living with seals
    I don't think Mii's are the only thing saved in there so you could get unhappy results.

11. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Former Staff
    Oct 14, 2007
    Mexico
    Pto. Vallarta
    just search for blaze's wad packer and you'll need all the .app files in the folder, the title.tmd and the .tik to re-pack a .wad for it...!!! [​IMG]

12. Hells Guardian

Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 25, 2008
    United States
    It's a bit of a pain in the ass but yeah you should be able to extract the mii data from the file.......... as for restoring that one file....... Don't know of a tool to do that......