CPU Temps

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Maz7006, Aug 10, 2009.

Aug 10, 2009

CPU Temps by Maz7006 at 5:55 PM (1,162 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    So Google decided to be a bitch today, and it wasn't giving me a direct answer. How can i increase a CPU's fanspeed.?

Setup:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ stock 2.3 Ghz

- Stock Intel Fan ( [​IMG] )

- Intel DG33FB Motherboard.

Yeah i know, not so good, but it does a good job 'being turned on and downloading stuff all the time'

SO right now both cores are idle-ing at 43 Degrees Celsius, i only started being worried about it since i have been using this PC to emulate GC games, and temps hit 62-63 for both cores [​IMG] my experience tells me that that's just really really bad, i mean anything around 70 is bad enough.

So is there anyway to increase the CPU fan speed, or should i just throw out the stock, and get a proper cooler ?

Just for the note, its summer here, and outside the temperature is 32 Degrees Celsius, im guessing that during winter things will be better ?

I've realized this through my GPU, my Nvidia 8800GT used to idle at 50 Degrees Celsius, now in summer its always at 63 [​IMG] should i be worried ?

2. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
  3. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The CPU, no.

The GPU, possibly. You don't need to worry about idle temps. If it goes up to 90 celsius on load then it becomes an issue. I personally feel that a GPU should not be exceeding a maximum temperature of 80 celsius on load. Mid-70s on load is pretty average I think.

4. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    on NFS Undercover load is at 89 [​IMG] *deletes game*

for anything else the load on the GPU is 83...so i guess im fine?

thanks i feel so much better about the CPU temps now though [​IMG]

Will be installing some 120MM fans soon, heck i don't want to bust my PC :/

5. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    You can use overclock tools, but I think your motherboard automatically increases the CPU fan speed to max when needed. Check the BIOS.
    Those temps seems normal. It is about 19ºC here and my temps are similar to yours. Unless you want that the CPU lasts 10 years, you should not worry.

About the GPU, I don't know.

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    speedfan has an option to boost fan speed. i wouldnt really say boost, just make it perform at its maximum. 60C is fine for loads, my desktop idles at 50 [​IMG]. just have to watch it when it jumps into late 70 early 80. if you really dont want to fork out money for a new HSF you could always buy some thermal paste. Artic Silver 5 works wonders.

as for your 8800gt, thats fine as well. temps will drop come winter. if you're worried get some canned air and use it on the fans if the temps increase.

7. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    that is not terrible these are the temps on my laptop at the moment
    [​IMG]
    and ive just been on the web, and watching youtube for a hour or so now. i dont think your temps are anything alarming, mine have hit significantly higher without issue

8. chA1nBull3t

Member chA1nBull3t GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The temps are perfectly fine. When the CPU overheats, 99% of the time, the computer will hang or shutdown for safety measures. Unless you have been running into any of these problems/symptoms, then I wouldn't worry [​IMG].

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Actualy 63c is pretty awful for a Core 2 Duo cpu. Thier safe max is around 72c for the E6x50 series.

Your motherboard bios usually has a setting for fan control, you should check and see. You could also reseat the stock heatsink, or get a better third party cooler.

10. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
  11. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Guess im safe as well, still looking towards a proper heatsink and fan a modding the case for better airflow.
    Thanks guys, i guess i owe u one, or some [​IMG]

12. DeviousTom

Member DeviousTom GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    the core 2 duo cpu in my laptop never goes above 30C unless ive been gaming for like 5 hours straight. Gpu averages around 40-50 (60 when gaming) and i just worry about my hard drive which idles around 40-45 and after playing games for an hour + it goes above 50 (57 was the highest it was at), its a hitachi travel star 7k320 same as themuddaload's first hard drive. im pretty sure my cpu is just underclocked (gayway laptop) resulting in the low temps, but i guess thats good since i hate high temps.

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Go into the BIOS settings. Sometimes you can up the speed in there. Also look into underclocking, you can make the temps go down a lot with that.

The video card is a little hot for my liking, but it's safe. (My 4830 idles at 35c and never goes past 65c while gaming.)

@DeviousTom: My old computer's hard drive is like at 65c at startup. [​IMG]

14. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Ok, just installed 2 side fans, and thinking of cutting the top of my case to install 2 more from top. Plus i need to install like 2 more in the front....heck it would be pretty load, but i really dont want to underclock the CPU.

The GPU is now not hitting more than 77 on load.... [​IMG]

Again...thanks for ALL the replies, i really benefited from all the posts.

15. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I know AMD has something called "cool 'n' quiet" which auto underclocks your CPU when your not using much of it (ie, emails, gbatemp, etc). It dropped my idle temps down by about 10c.

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    intel uses a few various thing like that built in the mobo bios

EIST
    C1E
    C2/C2E

17. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    As long as you are not overclocking, the temperatures are fine.