CPU temperature questions

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Sumea, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010

CPU temperature questions by Sumea at 6:24 AM (2,503 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. Sumea
    OP

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Just a quick question:
    I should have at at least somewhat good ventilation, but I do not have those chassis tubes that direct air from CPU fan straight out.

My CPU is normally 36-45C, but under heavy load (play a CPU intensive game) - it goes to 80C While playing, but then goes back down.

Should I worry about that? What I should do about it?

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    What do you mean chassis tubes? Do you mean heat pipies?

36-45 on normal and 80 on heavy load means that your air flow of the case is good, but the heatsink can not dissipate the heat properly. Good heatsinks are cheap to come by, but you can also end up with expensive and shitty ones. Brand is all that matters. Make sure you go to frostytech's website and read the reviews for top heatsinks.

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    yeah... i'd get a aftermarket hsf as soon as possible. 80C is red zone. there's some cheaper decent heatsinks you can grab for around $30-40 US. they should at least drop your temps by a good 20C or so.

4. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    While working many prebuilt computers, it is not unnatural to see this basic plastic tube that just directs all the air from the cooler of CPU straight to a hole in side of casing to make things cool, and there is figure of same type ... THING in the CPU manual book.

It is a boxed CPU, by intel, with intel cooler, BUT, I did have to right after initial build up (where the erm... Cannot remember english word for substance used to make heatsink and CPU make better connection) - and it seems the substance is somewhat dried up waiting for almost TWO fucking weeks for new Motherboard.

At least motherboard works. I may first try just to get that... SUBSTANCE thing first, see if it betters things up.

As said, I have no actual need for super-heatsink, I just happen to have the intel one.

And, I just wanted to know if that 80c is OK in terms "It is not going to fry itself up like morning egg"

5. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    OOOOH, I know what you are talking about. You are talking about this piece of cheap plastic:
    [​IMG]

First of all, the substance is called a thermal paste, but the fact that your normal temperatures are around 40 means that thermal paste is not the problem, your heatsinks is.
    It does not matter, as this cheap thing will not help you at all. With a shitty heatsink, no matter how much airflow you have, or how good the thermal paste is, if your heatsink can not dissipate heat well it will fail to keep the CPU at a good range. Heatsinks that can dissipate heat well have heatpipes and they are usually large and comes with a lot of fins. Heat pipes are VERY important for good heatsinks, intel heatsinks don't have them.
    These are some heatpipes:

[​IMG]

No offense, but installing a heatsink is a lot harder than it looks. You should ask someone who has already done it to do it for you the first time.

6. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    OK, so that is good.

I still am not sure is that 80C gonna be killing it or not, Be it intel's heatsink and all, At moment I am moneyless, I had to raise my already maxed out budget since I had to use even more on ATX case to replace the shitty mini-ATX of old machine.

I am only worried since I even myself thought if it is going to be cooled properly - What is not the case but until I get ANY money, I cannot replace that heatsink, but I still got all this new hardware for gaming (what HAS been awesome, my FPS in more CPU using games is raw 30 more and all)

It does not seem to get hotter than that 80c, and after the game ends it is back to 50c and under in 20 seconds.

I have heard intel macbooks go to 100Celsius...

7. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    80 is not that dangerous, but it wares your CPU out much faster. Yes, some laptops DO go to higher temperatures like 100, but 100 degrees will kill your computer VERY fast. If you want your computer to live longer, you need to keep it at a cooler temperature, 80 is not extremely bad for maximum, but you certainly need to fix it if you have the money to, good heatsinks costs around $30 if you know what to buy. My maximum temperature is around 56 Celsius, but I have an expensive heatsink.

8. Sumea
    OP

Finland

Okay, will do, and thank you.

I will shop around for the heatsink. Any recommendation for LGA775 slot coolers? I think any 20€-50€ would be cool (heh, puns) for me, when I get my next assigned money.

Also, funny offtopic note is that the motherboard that was given to replace my first one ended up to be better (in my mind) as it supports 8 more gigs of ram than the first one, and has other cool stuff.

9. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    If you can do online shopping, then this is one of the best heatsinks:
    $40 is about 30 Euros.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-003-_-Product

If you do not like online shopping, look for a heatsink at your local store that comes with good heatpipes and what you think is good, write down the model, and I can tell you if it is good. I have bought MANY heatsinks in the past. Thermalright and Zalman makes one of the best heatsinks, but they are expensive.

10. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    70C is where most overclockers back out, amd's rated limits are 65C to 75C. most expect their chips to fry around 100C, but most motherboards have failsafes for that. sure it'll still run at those temps but not for long. you can keep it at that if you intend to upgrade within the next year or so. but i wouldn't rely on it if you keep as it is. so you can imagine just what you're running through

i'm running a xiggy s1283, idle is 35, load 45. set me back $40. other decent coolers are the cm hyper 212+ and artic freezer 7 pro. check frostytech for more details, but do remember some coolers can run you an easy $70+.

you can also look towards some decent thermal paste, as5 should drop temps a good 5C or so.

11. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    Well, from outside finland or Europe it would maybe be problem as for taxing, But I found same model in same store I bought all my other parts from - just that they are out of stock at this moment. May be better in future.

I am okay mostly for online shopping, but last time I had to go to customs and if it was something PC related instead of just a figurine from japan, I would have paid hefty sum that would have eliminated the US "Cheap price" completely...

12. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    But if he wants something REALLY cheap this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835185125
    It's only $23, but it is no joke. It is a good solution if you are really short on cash, and you are looking forward to replace your PC within the next 5 years, and overclocking is the last thing on your mind.

Sorry I just saw your new post, can you post the website of your store that you buy your parts from?

13. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    No, I think if YOU say that is great cooler, I will get it, The difference in this situation is that I am literally NO CASH untill i get my next amount of set money or anything to my account, when I will be able - Newegg is problem if it does not ship inside europe, since I may end up paying a tax that double's it's price, In finnish store I may pay about 10€ more on that same xigmatek cooler, but at least I will not have to pay any additional extra to that.

...Does the coolers come with the needed thermal paste..?

Also, this is the product place for pretty much same cooler (except the "Dark knight" added) on Finnish PC retailing store I buy from, should be good, and if you say the cooling is good, then the price is right for me too http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/DARK-KNIGHT-S1283?t=false

14. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Then do not buy from Newegg, also sorry for posting the last $23 heatsink, I didn't know you have LGA775, this one is for AMD only, however, most heatsinks are ok with both, MAKE SURE you double check before buying, and yes, most heatsinks comes with thermalpaste. Again, if you have the website for your local store, it would be nice.

Is this a good site?
    https://www.teraset.net/product_details.php?p=5077

also, this is not as good, but it is more than enough for what you want, it will keep your CPU at a safer temperature:
    https://www.teraset.net/product_details.php?p=5076

Lol, you're Finnish? I've heard Finnish is grammatically very similar to Turkish based languages.

15. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    Yeah, I am finnish, and yes, those should be cool to buy from too, I think I keep those in my tabs too.

I pretty much decided that if You say that the Xigmatek is good, I do not mind paying extra for it, it just has to wait till I get paid, that's all, and until then I need to survive with that intel cooler thing.

16. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Your website says there is 4 of Xigmatek there too: (or I may be misunderstanding it as I don't speak Finnish, lol.)
    http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/HDT-S1283

Yes, Intel with 80 Celsius is not deadly, but you don't want to keep it for too long. So if you need to wait, then wait. Then, when you do have time, buy a Xigmatek to prevent your computer from becoming too destroyed. Also make sure you get instructions that are proper for installing heatsinks, sorry, I know I already said this, but it is VERY important. You have to use alcohol to wipe of thermalpaste from your last heatsink and evenly apply thermalpaste to your CPU surface for your new heatsink.

17. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    ALC- oh well, erm

I try to study and do that. I think my theory is not wrong, but to get the thermal paste right, You need to put a small pea sized to center of the cpu, and press against the cooler, when putting it in but wipe old one with alcohol... I get a feeling I won't get any with the Xigmatek cooler at least...

18. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Mine had thermal paste with it. In fact it had everything you need with it.

19. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    Okay...

Only that this turns to go out in funny way, either it was just me, since after this morning, I reinserted the CPU Heatsink Cooler combo, I just took it away, and reinserted it - now 30 mins of playing GTA IV, 50Celsius has been the biggest it has gone.

In fact, it goes back down to 47 and maybe then to 50, but not over that 50...

Dunno what it was but I just put it in again firmly and all. At moment I write this from steam ingame browser, and it still shows 50C...

20. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Wow... what? What CPU are you running? I used to have Q6600 with stock Intel heatsink and it runs at around 70 so I had to change the heatsink. Reseating the heatsink does change the temperature if you did it incorrectly the first time. What is your CPU? If it is 45nm based, then that explains a whole lot.