CPU temperature: AMD vs Intel?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DSGamer64, Aug 16, 2009.

Aug 16, 2009
  1. DSGamer64
    OP

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Anyone have good sources of information on heat output of various CPU models such as AMD Phenom's and Intel Core 2 Quad. I am looking for comparisons since heat output will be a concern when building a PC and liquid cooling is way too expensive.

2. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    This is from what i've experienced. amd have higher temps but i'd say they have a higher heat threshold. Intel has a much larger range, but cant handle heat all to well. amd cpu's idle at 40-50 and on loads go up to a bout 55-65. intel cpu's idle at around 30-40 and on load go up to 55-65. though i believe intel cpu's have troubles at temps around 70-80, whereas amd cpu's get into trouble around the 85+ mark.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    there should be any problem between the two as long as you get a decent third party HSF

4. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    On a really hot day in the summer or when the sun is out and the furnace full blast in the winter, my room gets to be about 30 Celcius easily, with a computer I would be worried about it spiking to 45 or so easily and that isn't bearable if the thing is running. I suppose I will have to invest in a bunch of cooling stuff for all the components.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    A friend of mine has a Sempron which reached 100°C when on High Load [​IMG]
    After some thermal paste change and a bit of cleaning, it idles at 55°C [​IMG]

AMDs are notoriously hotter than Intels, but it shouldn't give you much issues, as long as you keep the heatsink clean and put fresh thermal paste before every Summer.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    45C is completely fine

when it hits 70C then you are going into the danger zone as far as CPU's are concerned

7. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    This case should cool a high end graphics card and CPU pretty well:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811103011

I will probably get some extra cooling devices like RAM heatsinks (unless I get something with it already). I could always place the computer near an AC vent in the summer [​IMG]

8. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Not really the case with Core i7s now, but was definitely the case with the Core 2 Duos. My Q6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz will idle around 30 something degrees and goes up to 65-66 load. Going up to 70 is a bit on the warm side and 75 is getting dangerous.

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    That was in one of my threads a few days back...you'll find the link really useful

10. DSGamer64
    OP

Canada
    The Q6600 is an older processor as well, doesn't it have a higher nanometer rating?