• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Direct from FDA themselves:
https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download
Says Pfizer Vaccine is not approved. Wait, I thought it was approved?

Looking at the ingredient it is comprised of fats, salts, and sugar. So basically some minerals for your body, so should be safe enough. The only active ingredient would be the mRNA.
4-hydroxybutyl can cause cancer in mice, but were not a mouse so... should we still be okay?

D

Deleted User

Says Pfizer Vaccine is not approved. Wait, I thought it was approved?
It's authorised for emergency use. Joe Biden and Anthony Fauci have taken it publicly.
4-hydroxybutyl can cause cancer in mice, but were not a mouse so... should we still be okay?
The dose makes the poison. The amount of 4-hydroxybutyl in two doses of the vaccine is safely low.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not gonna get until like 5 years down the line. I get that it was based on SARS vaccines and yadda yadda, but one year seems awfully short for a testing period that is usually 10 times that amount. I'll just keep wearing my mask thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not gonna get until like 5 years down the line. I get that it was based on SARS vaccines and yadda yadda, but one year seems awfully short for a testing period that is usually 10 times that amount. I'll just keep wearing my mask thank you.
The vaccine has been demonstrated to be both safe and effective. They've been testing the safety and efficacy of the vaccines since January. You should get the vaccine as soon as you are able to, assuming you medically can. To wait five years is to arguably be petulant about it.

Last edited by Lacius,
D

Deleted User

The vaccines were developed in record time due to a number of reasons:

- Governments funded their development because SARS-CoV-2 (the virus commonly referred to as "the coronavirus" and which causes COVID-19) shuts down economies.

- Companies shortened the time between trials because the financial risk was lower.

- The virus spreads so rapidly, you can observe the efficacy of the vaccines more quickly.

- Manufacturing started while the vaccines were still being trialed.

- Regulatory agencies prioritised reviewing the data on the vaccines over other drugs.

- There is already research on other coronaviruses and mRNA vaccines.

- Research on SARS-CoV-2 was shared globally.

I can understand why some are scared to take coronavirus vaccines. I was too a few months ago. The vaccines were created in record time and in the case of mRNA vaccines using technology never before used in humans, combined with potential coercion to get vaccinated. But having done my research, I concluded the benefits vastly outweigh the risks. I would get vaccinated today if the vaccine was available to me.

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-...-were-made-so-fast_n_5fd27425c5b68ce1718664e7

Last edited by ,

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you learn how RNA vaccines are developed. We've had it since January, since all you need is the genetic sequence of the virus to make it (which was released in mid-January).

Your ignorance doesn't give you an excuse to post nonsense. If you don't understand something, research it before typing what you feel is correct. You will come off as less of a smug idiot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The vaccines are demonstrably safe and effective. Nobody should put off getting the vaccine for fear that they aren't.

If there were evidence for the missing Obama controversies, they would not be missing. It's not rocket science.

If you're looking for Obama controversies, here they are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Obama_administration_controversies

Respectfully, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Safe in the period we have watched so far, it's new tech and we can't know if there are unforseen consequences

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Safe in the period we have watched so far, it's new tech and we can't know if there are unforseen consequences
The preponderance of evidence suggests the vaccine is safe, both in the short term and in the long term.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The preponderance of evidence suggests the vaccine is safe, both in the short term and in the long term.
Obviously I have already gotten the vaccine so I have some level of trust in it

But the long term hasn't even happened yet so there is no way to know if it is safe in the long term, and you claiming to know what the long term will look like is dangerous

Obviously I am still in medical school, and won't be a doctor for 5 more months but I know enough to tell you no one can predict the future on this new tech and possible autoimmune or other side effects when we haven't been able to observe those who have received the vaccines for even 12 months - long term studies addressing long term side effects take decades to conduct

protivakid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At 30 I've been on two different medications for periods of time that now have commercials saying "if you know someone who took ____ and now has cancer you may be entitled to $$". At one time both were also considered "safe". While I am hoping for the best I too will wait a while. I also work from home so it's not like I am going anywhere.

Last edited by protivakid,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously I have already gotten the vaccine so I have some level of trust in it

But the long term hasn't even happened yet so there is no way to know if it is safe in the long term, and you claiming to know what the long term will look like is dangerous

Obviously I am still in medical school, and won't be a doctor for 5 more months but I know enough to tell you no one can predict the future on this new tech and possible autoimmune or other side effects when we haven't been able to observe those who have received the vaccines for even 12 months - long term studies addressing long term side effects take decades to conduct
No one can predict the future, but it's not like we don't know anything about how the vaccine works, the ingredients, etc. There's no evidence to think there are long term issues, and there's evidence to think it's safe in both the short term and the long term.

My understanding is there was only one big issue (whether or not the RNA vaccine would actually provide an attack vector for the virus and make infection easier), but that ended up not being the case.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one can predict the future, but it's not like we don't know anything about how the vaccine works, the ingredients, etc. There's no evidence to think there are long term issues, and there's evidence to think it's safe in both the short term and the long term.

My understanding is there was only one big issue (whether or not the RNA vaccine would actually provide an attack vector for the virus and make infection easier), but that ended up not being the case.
The biggest issue with any vaccination is that you are activating the immune system towards a specific protein and it can create antibodies towards self antigens and produce auto immune responses

Think guillain barre and the seasonal flu vaccine or specifically narcolepsy following the H1N1 vaccination program in europe

There can be long ranging autoimmune effects that are low in incidence but could ultimately affect thousands of people when you scale up a vaccine to the size of nations

We are at a point where we are accepting that risk without knowing the true risk itself and hoping it's less than the real effects of death and morbidity from the virus itself

There is a reason the vaccines have received emergency use authorization and not FDA approval proper - because there are many unknowns

But all that to say, we don't know it's safe - just that it's safe so far

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, the testing for this virus is completely flawed. I know people that test positive one day and negative the next. Heck, look at Elon Musk... 4 tests at the same time and 2 were positive and 2 were negative. Also, without knowing the cycle thresh-hold, hard to really gauge how much of the virus is in your body.

And then you see stuff like this: https://www.wpbf.com/article/medica...crepancies-in-covid-19-death-tallies/33420066 (......."it was a slight ADMINISTRATIVE error...... yeah, that's the ticket!". And where there's smoke, there is fire. I'm positive that there are a LOT MORE of these "administrative" errors and they're being used to inflate death stats.

Then you have Cuomo putting COVID patients in nursing homes....and at that stage of the game, everyone knew that old people were extremely susceptible to COVID. Why that lunatic isn't up on murder charges is beyond me.

Videos of deserted hospitals that the lügenpresse claimed were "OVERWHELMED". Videos of empty testing lines that we were told we also "OVERWHELMED".

Nurses across the world making tiktok video after tiktok and then when CNN/MSNBC/FOX is around, they cry about being overworked?!?!?!? Yeah, overworked making silly tiktok videos.

Liberal politicians telling the sheep to stay home then they ignore their own orders and fly off to be with friends and family or attend dinner at a fancy restaurant WITHOUT WEARING A MASK (Gavin Newsom). These politicians know how super deadly COVID is.... why are they breaking their own quarantine rules, ignoring social distancing guidelines and mask rules???????????

Liberals telling you to say goodbye to your loved ones in funeral homes via Skype while they crammed thousands into churches to say goodbye to a felon (George Floyd).

Trumps rallies are "super spreader events" and BLM/fascists protests/looting sprees are folks just exercising their constitutional rights and don't post a risk of spreading COVID.

Even the trials for these vaccines was a joke (I don't think peer reviewed studies of these phase 3 trials has been released yet). They injected people with this mystery liquid and just said, "Hey, out of the 50,000 people we injected, only 50 got the virus, SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!111111111111111".

What they won't tell you is they never exposed these people to the virus. They just injected them and would make them take the flawed COVID test every now and then to see how many got the virus.

This is as silly as me saying I invented a vaccine that prevents you from getting hit with lightning. I inject 1,000,000 people with it and set them free in the world. If nobody gets struck by lightning, my vaccine is 100% effective.

A DNA altering, rushed to market, never before tried vaccine??? No thanks!

My body, my choice! Right liberals? RIGHT?????????

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The vaccine has been demonstrated to be both safe and effective. They've been testing the safety and efficacy of the vaccines since January. You should get the vaccine as soon as you are able to, assuming you medically can. To wait five years is to arguably be petulant about it.
Alright. I don't trust the government or the doctors enough to trust that it is safe

Reactions: UltraSUPRA

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest issue with any vaccination is that you are activating the immune system towards a specific protein and it can create antibodies towards self antigens and produce auto immune responses

Think guillain barre and the seasonal flu vaccine or specifically narcolepsy following the H1N1 vaccination program in europe

There can be long ranging autoimmune effects that are low in incidence but could ultimately affect thousands of people when you scale up a vaccine to the size of nations

We are at a point where we are accepting that risk without knowing the true risk itself and hoping it's less than the real effects of death and morbidity from the virus itself

There is a reason the vaccines have received emergency use authorization and not FDA approval proper - because there are many unknowns

But all that to say, we don't know it's safe - just that it's safe so far
I mostly don't disagree with anything here, but a few things:
  1. None of the examples you cited with regard to vaccine side effects make those vaccines more dangerous, statistically, than the thing being vaccinated against. Even if those side effects exited with the COVID-19 vaccines, for example, it still wouldn't be a reason not to get the COVID-19 vaccine, given the lethality and apparent long-term effects of COVID-19.
  2. When we're talking about a one in a million side effect, for example, these are scenarios where safety testing often didn't cover even a million participants who received the vaccine, so that side effect didn't show up. Vaccine testing is a lot more thorough now than in the 1970s, for example. That includes COVID-19 vaccine safety testing.
  3. The emergency use authorization has less to do with demonstrated safety and more to do with bureaucratic technicalities. In many countries, particularly in Europe, the vaccine met the safety standards for general use without emergency authorization.
  4. Live attenuated virus vaccines, for example, are an entirely different animal than RNA vaccines, and the former carries inherent risks the latter lacks. In other words, there isn't much about RNA vaccines that could reasonably carry much risk.
I'm not arguing safety studies on the COVID-19 vaccines were infallible or that we know the future. However, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence suggests the vaccines are safe, both in the short term and the long term. The fact that a lot of time hasn't passed doesn't mean we don't know anything about the future. To use some analogies, we've never seen Pluto make an orbit around the sun, but we know how long it takes to do so. We have never seen someone who grew up with earbuds reach late adulthood, but we know what the likely long-term effects of earbud use are on hearing in late adulthood.

Alright. I don't trust the government or the doctors enough to trust that it is safe
With all due respect and as inoffensively as possible, this is the kind of immature, conspiratorial attitude, with no basis in fact, that is going to lead to the continued spread of a deadly disease.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: x65943

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, the testing for this virus is completely flawed. I know people that test positive one day and negative the next. Heck, look at Elon Musk... 4 tests at the same time and 2 were positive and 2 were negative. Also, without knowing the cycle thresh-hold, hard to really gauge how much of the virus is in your body.

And then you see stuff like this: https://www.wpbf.com/article/medica...crepancies-in-covid-19-death-tallies/33420066 (......."it was a slight ADMINISTRATIVE error...... yeah, that's the ticket!". And where there's smoke, there is fire. I'm positive that there are a LOT MORE of these "administrative" errors and they're being used to inflate death stats.

Then you have Cuomo putting COVID patients in nursing homes....and at that stage of the game, everyone knew that old people were extremely susceptible to COVID. Why that lunatic isn't up on murder charges is beyond me.

Videos of deserted hospitals that the lügenpresse claimed were "OVERWHELMED". Videos of empty testing lines that we were told we also "OVERWHELMED".

Nurses across the world making tiktok video after tiktok and then when CNN/MSNBC/FOX is around, they cry about being overworked?!?!?!? Yeah, overworked making silly tiktok videos.

Liberal politicians telling the sheep to stay home then they ignore their own orders and fly off to be with friends and family or attend dinner at a fancy restaurant WITHOUT WEARING A MASK (Gavin Newsom). These politicians know how super deadly COVID is.... why are they breaking their own quarantine rules, ignoring social distancing guidelines and mask rules???????????

Liberals telling you to say goodbye to your loved ones in funeral homes via Skype while they crammed thousands into churches to say goodbye to a felon (George Floyd).

Trumps rallies are "super spreader events" and BLM/fascists protests/looting sprees are folks just exercising their constitutional rights and don't post a risk of spreading COVID.

Even the trials for these vaccines was a joke (I don't think peer reviewed studies of these phase 3 trials has been released yet). They injected people with this mystery liquid and just said, "Hey, out of the 50,000 people we injected, only 50 got the virus, SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!111111111111111".

What they won't tell you is they never exposed these people to the virus. They just injected them and would make them take the flawed COVID test every now and then to see how many got the virus.

This is as silly as me saying I invented a vaccine that prevents you from getting hit with lightning. I inject 1,000,000 people with it and set them free in the world. If nobody gets struck by lightning, my vaccine is 100% effective.

A DNA altering, rushed to market, never before tried vaccine??? No thanks!

My body, my choice! Right liberals? RIGHT?????????
There's a lot of conspiratorial bullshit to unpack here, and I definitely won't get to everything. A few notes:
  1. There are limitations to COVID-19 testing, but that doesn't make them without value. The main limitation is a lot of people with the virus aren't being tested, since a person can have the disease without symptoms.
  2. Approximately 336,000 Americans have died of COVID-19 as of this post, and there's no evidence this number has been significantly inflated. Even though the number might be somewhat smaller (or higher), it's a really good estimate.
  3. Hospitalizations are and continue to be overwhelmed, and this is well-documented. The "where are the patients?" sentiment is conspiratorial nonsense, it requires willful ignorance to believe it, and it's frankly offensive.
  4. Social distancing, mask wearing, and vaccines demonstrably help in reducing the spread of COVID-19.
  5. You should look into how double blind studies work. It's not at all as you described. Compared to those who got a placebo, the vaccine is approximately 90-95% effective against contracting COVID-19. In addition, to see if a vaccine actually works in the real world, people with the vaccine or placebo need to be exposed in the real world. There's nothing problematic from a scientific point of view with how the vaccine trials were run. In fact, they were done extremely well.
  6. Trump rallies are literal super spreader events because a.) You can demonstrate COVID-19 case increases left in Trump's wake, and b.) These events were largely anti-mask. The same things cannot be said about your examples of things you falsely believe should be considered superspreader events.
  7. The vaccine does not alter your DNA. That's not how it works.
  8. It is your body and your choice, but that doesn't free you from the repercussions of not getting vaccinated. For example, you might not be allowed to travel out of the country in the future unless you've been vaccinated. There are also the consequences of conscience with regard to putting yourself and others at risk for a potentially deadly disease by being a petulant brat and not being vaccinated, probably because the President thought it would be a good idea to make the pandemic a political issue.

Last edited by Lacius,

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mostly don't disagree with anything here, but a few things:
  1. None of the examples you cited with regard to vaccine side effects make those vaccines more dangerous, statistically, than the thing being vaccinated against. Even if those side effects exited with the COVID-19 vaccines, for example, it still wouldn't be a reason not to get the COVID-19 vaccine, given the lethality and apparent long-term effects of COVID-19.
  2. When we're talking about a one in a million side effect, for example, these are scenarios where safety testing often didn't cover even a million participants who received the vaccine, so that side effect didn't show up. Vaccine testing is a lot more thorough now than in the 1970s, for example. That includes COVID-19 vaccine safety testing.
  3. The emergency use authorization has less to do with demonstrated safety and more to do with bureaucratic technicalities. In many countries, particularly in Europe, the vaccine met the safety standards for general use without emergency authorization.
  4. Live attenuated virus vaccines, for example, are an entirely different animal than RNA vaccines, and the former carries inherent risks the latter lacks. In other words, there isn't much about RNA vaccines that could reasonably carry much risk.
I'm not arguing safety studies on the COVID-19 vaccines were infallible or that we know the future. However, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence suggests the vaccines are safe, both in the short term and the long term. The fact that a lot of time hasn't passed doesn't mean we don't know anything about the future. To use some analogies, we've never seen Pluto make an orbit around the sun, but we know how long it takes to do so. We have never seen someone who grew up with earbuds reach late adulthood, but we know what the likely long-term effects of earbud use are on hearing in late adulthood.

With all due respect and as inoffensively as possible, this is the kind of immature, conspiratorial attitude, with no basis in fact, that is going to lead to the continued spread of a deadly disease.
Like I said I have a level of trust here, but we don't know if it's safe long term or not.

And there has never been an RNA vaccine before so it remains to be seen what possible side effects there could be.

It's possible that taking vaccines back one step from protein to rna could produce more cell mediated auto immunity and we simply won't know if that will be the case or not until we watch and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...