Homebrew Could you just install only HBC and play roms?

eye123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got everything setup up in a nice way and would rather not return my wii's virginity right now.

I guess what I am saying is that I am lazy and some of my friends (and me) want to know if they (and me) can just stop after installing HBC

Can you just install HBC, drop of few emu's and roms on an SD Card (USB Drive?) without installing or patching any cIOS's, and enjoy?

The emu's would have to use an IOS, right?

Do some (newer) emu's run on virgin N IOS's?

If you do have to install a cIOS and what would the minimum be...any "stub" our (my) wii in the toe?

Some of my friends have older wii's and play the only old games (some never tasted internet) Udate with new

Some of my friends have older now updated wii's and right are right into (Retail) gaming (Up to date N Firmware)

I want to make a HBC installer (with emu's, utils and HBC browser) SD Card for all (our) wii's, if I have to I will update all our wii's from disc, did I mention I was lazy?

Am I even close?

eye_share-4.gif

grog.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
wow, re-read your post to make sure its clear next time before actually posting it!!

but i think i understood most of what ur asking

u can install homebrew channel and play emulators without doing any other mods (in fact, u can use bannerbomb to launch an emulator and play roms without ever having to even modify the wii, it all runs via the wii's ram)

i would recommend following the guide here. Just email xzxero's autoreply email address for download links.

it is kept very simple on purpose, u shouldn't have any problems

eye123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xflak40 said:
(in fact, u can use bannerbomb to launch an emulator and play roms without ever having to even modify the wii, it all runs via the wii's ram)

So you don't even have to install HBC if the SD card is setup right for emulation!?

Just get the version of bannerbomb for your firmware without the need for new firmware updates?

That would be great

Thanks dude!

yay.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
HBC is easier in my opinion as you can have multiple emulators on your SD card at the same time. Its really easy to uninstall if you ever need to as well. I have HBC only installed on my launch Wii which is currently running 4.1 although I believe that the 4.2 update is now safe and a Bannerbomb exists.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
if all u want is to play emulators thats fine, but u cant do much else without ACTUALLY modding the wii (u can forget about playing wii game backups without a cIOS)

this is how u would launch anything using bannerbomb

copy bannerbomb to your sd card, and place the .dol (or .elf) of the file u want to launch in the root of your sd card (be sure to name it boot.dol or boot.elf, you cannot have BOTH a boot.dol and boot.elf saved in the root directory at the same time, otherwise it may not load properly, but there isn't any danger to ur wii if u do this by mistake)

then just launch bannerbomb using the right method (note that bannerbomb (BB) v1 is accessed differently than BBv2) and say yes to loading the file

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude...believe me, I totally understand the laziness, but there is no reason you can't take the 30 seconds to install cios. Why stop at HBC when all that's needed is one final step? That's not lazy, it's just dumb....especially when you're talking about loading bannerbomb every time you need to launch a homebrew app....it would be easier (hence better for lazy individuals) to softmod all the way so you won't have to do it every time you want to play another game.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Jamstruth said:
HBC is easier in my opinion as you can have multiple emulators on your SD card at the same time. Its really easy to uninstall if you ever need to as well. I have HBC only installed on my launch Wii which is currently running 4.1 although I believe that the 4.2 update is now safe and a Bannerbomb exists.

+1

and yes, bannerbomb v2 was written for 4.2 systems (bannerbomb v1 works on 3.0-4.1 systems)

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
lightyear said:
Dude...believe me, I totally understand the laziness, but there is no reason you can't take the 30 seconds to install cios. Why stop at HBC when all that's needed is one final step? That's not lazy, it's just dumb....especially when you're talking about loading bannerbomb every time you need to launch a homebrew app....it would be easier (hence better for lazy individuals) to softmod all the way so you won't have to do it every time you want to play another game.

What's the point in installing a CIOS when all he wants to do is run emulators? I looked into the full Wii Softmod scheme and decided it was too complicated for my own liking (and I don't own a portable HDD for loading) that and I can't be bothered downloading 4gb isos for it (CD size is the max for me and my retro needs) so I left it at HBC seeing no point in installing BootMii due to the lack of risk I've been posing to my Wii.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
buddy, don't be stupid!!!! u skipped installing bootmii!!! that's like sleeping with a hooker without using a condom... both things run the risk of breaking your tool! lol (granted if all ur using is emulators... u'll be fine... but why not add some protection anyways?)

seriously, bootmii as boot2 is the ultimate brick protection

second best protection is bootmii as ios combined with priiloader (see my signature for all priiloader related downloads)

eye123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lightyear said:

Thanks again for the replies, great helpful, flame proof site!

It's good to know I can install just HBC and run emulators without running cIOS's and doing the whole softmod hack tutorial.

Most of my friends don't understand this stuff and would even want to do the whole reading and question thing and most are not that good on the computer anyway, i fix those too, but they just want to be running emulators of older games they like and that is the best thing since sliced bread for them.

Some don't have internet and some don't play the new wii games and all have different firmwares running...

They all say "can you do it for me, dude?"

I am going to make a 2 GB SD Card (ver1 or ver2) depending on the firmware, with all the files on it to install/uninstall The Homebrew Channel / Homebrew Browser and a have as many emulators and roms on it as i can fit and give them a readme.

I don't want to give them a card and have them go through the rather complicated tutorial to softmod their wii's just to run a few emulators and apps and have them follow instructions and go on the computer and transfer files and install cIOS's, restoring bugs, stubbing things and possibly have them brick their wii's

This is all good for us now that we finally caught on and learned it, but for them it's to far away and they just want to play roms and have a beer and laugh with friends

Thanks again for all the help and I am looking forward to Wii emulation...

I have almost every rom set for about every emu out there for xbox12/psp/smart phones/pc...out there from collecting for years

Emulation has always been a big part of my life...xD

eye123

grog.gif

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
xflak40 said:
buddy, don't be stupid!!!! u skipped installing bootmii!!! that's like sleeping with a hooker without using a condom... both things run the risk of breaking your tool! lol (granted if all ur using is emulators... u'll be fine... but why not add some protection anyways?)

second best protection is bootmii as ios combined with priiloader (see my signature for all priiloader related downloads)

Don't have a spare, large SD card to place the NAND dump onto. I'm careful about what I download so the only way I can brick the thing is if I then go a fiddle with stuff that messes with my flash (which I am very careful about when looking at homebrew, I don't even have DVDx despite it being safe mostly because I don't see the point when I have a DVD player and a 2gb SD card which works fine) I rarely use my Wii these days anyway sticking to my 360, PSP and DS. It isn't actually hooked up at the moment.

mtb-bfh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
HBC is easier in my opinion as you can have multiple emulators on your SD card at the same time.

You can do this easily with LoadMii or some other .dol loader. Launch that from bannerbomb.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
lightyear said:

What's the point in installing a CIOS when all he wants to do is run emulators? I looked into the full Wii Softmod scheme and decided it was too complicated for my own liking (and I don't own a portable HDD for loading) that and I can't be bothered downloading 4gb isos for it (CD size is the max for me and my retro needs) so I left it at HBC seeing no point in installing BootMii due to the lack of risk I've been posing to my Wii.
What 4GB of isos???? If fit all current Wii ISOs, all my homebrew apps, cioscorp, my nand backup, all my wiiware, all my virtual console, and all my gamesaves on 1 2GB SD card.....so nice try, dude....they are under 500MB
tongue.gif
Do you realize how much of a bitch it is to load bannerbomb every time you play a game, versus at the very least installing HBC so you can just run the emulator....it's up to you, but that is probably the most moronic excuse for not installing extra apps I've ever heard
tongue.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you don't [want to] install the homebrew channel, you don't need to change the boot.dol each time you want to change the emulator.

just use bannerbomb on your SDcard, and in the root of your card, put homebrew launcher :
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Homebrew_Launcher/

it will list all the other .dol from your card or smb share on your computer.
It's a "homebrew channel in memory only". no need to install anything to the wii at all.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
lightyear said:
Jamstruth said:
lightyear said:

What 4GB of isos???? If fit all current Wii ISOs, all my homebrew apps, cioscorp, my nand backup, all my wiiware, all my virtual console, and all my gamesaves on 1 2GB SD card.....so nice try, dude....they are under 500MB
tongue.gif
Do you realize how much of a bitch it is to load bannerbomb every time you play a game, versus at the very least installing HBC so you can just run the emulator....it's up to you, but that is probably the most moronic excuse for not installing extra apps I've ever heard
tongue.gif

I said to install the Homebrew Channel which doesn't require CIOS or any of the other complicated/risky stuff and makes it easy to get to emulators.

The last time I checked DVDs held 4.7gb of data and most Wii games use at least half of that I'd say. If they're only taking up 500mb then what the hell are these developers doing charging so much for them? Fit 5 onto a single disk! Yes it would all fit on a 2gb SD card but I would rather not have my Wii booting into Bootmii the whole time (which would confuse my mum to hell) and would also rather not have my superfluous NAND backup (unless I do more hacking) on the card as well. Considering that my Wii has been hacked so easily and I have no intention of going further so I can play backups I don't want/need or place channels in my system menu that only slightly decreases the time it would take for my to launch SNES9x.

Basically: I'm keeping my system at HBC only, when new updates come out I check whether they are compatible before updating and if not I uninstall HBC beforehand and re-hack afterwards or just hold off (like I did with the 4.2 update)

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
xflak40 said:

Don't have a spare, large SD card to place the NAND dump onto.
You don't even have to keep it on there. You just need a 512MB card or so.
Oh, and you can just set the boot delay to 0 on the bootmii config file. It would be like it was never there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • PandaPandel
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car