Hacking Could use some expertise with Nintendo Switch... This one is a doozie lol

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here goes,
I purchased a switch online with original 5.1.0 firmware so i could hack it. Well I backed up the nand (or so I thought). Last night while at work my son placed the switch into the dock it asked to update and you guessed it he clicked it. I get home and it was now on 8.1.0. So i figured since i had my backup I could just restore it. It went all bad from that point. When I went to restore it, it said I was missing some files. I should've had 15 i think and I only had 13. So now i'm on 8.1.0 and I can boot into payload but I don't have a full functioning backup and the switch currently won't load any screen.

Am I totally screwed or does anyone have any info that could help me? I'm lost and would appreciate any help if there is hope.
Thanks in advance.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which custom firmware are you using? Atmosphere, which is recommended, fully supports 8.1.0.

Edit: You should also take steps to block updates and make an adequate NAND backup.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: spank2610

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which custom firmware are you using? Atmosphere, which is recommended, fully supports 8.1.0.

Edit: You should also take steps to block updates and make an adequate NAND backup.
Yes it is atmosphere

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes it is atmosphere
I also tried to make a backup with the 8.1.0 but I didn't know if that was a good idea seeing as it won't boot after the failed restore

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is atmosphere

I also tried to make a backup with the 8.1.0 but I didn't know if that was a good idea seeing as it won't boot after the failed restore
Download Atmosphere 0.9.1 and put it onto your SD card. Boot the Switch using fusee-primary (next to the Atmosphere 0.9.1 download). What happens?

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download Atmosphere 0.9.1 and put it onto your SD card. Boot the Switch using fusee-primary (next to the Atmosphere 0.9.1 download). What happens?

the fusee-primary is currently in the payloads folder, are you saying put it in the atmosphere folder then boot?

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That should go wherever you are pushing the payload from, by a dongle or a phone/pc program.
it didn't boot with the fusee-primary bin, it will only boot with the hekate_ctcaer_4101 bin

it didn't boot with the fusee-primary bin, it will only boot with the hekate_ctcaer_4101 bin

oh, and im using the tegraRCM gui to boot it, if that helps anything

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try going here: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases

Download atmosphere0.9.1-master zip and fusee_primary.bin found under assets

Delete the atmosphere folder, sept folder, and hbmenu.nro from your switch's sd card first

Then drag the new ones from the atmosphere master zip you just downloaded. (You can merge the switch folder but delete the other ones first before copying the new ones)

Then, use the fusee_primary.bin as your payload and let us know what happens. With all luck you should boot right up on 5.1

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

oh, and im using the tegraRCM gui to boot it, if that helps anything
If you don't mind, try deleting everything except for the Nintendo folder and try again. Make sure there's nothing you really need or back it all up.

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok here is the error code i got- Error Fatal Error: failed to decrypt the package2 header(master key revision 4)

Delete the atmosphere folder, sept folder, and hbmenu.nro from your switch's sd card first

Then drag the new ones from the atmosphere master zip you just downloaded. (You can merge the switch folder but delete the other ones first before copying the new ones)

Then, use the fusee_primary.bin as your payload and let us know what happens. With all luck you should boot right up on 5.1[/QUOTE]

ok here is the error code i got- Error Fatal Error: failed to decrypt the package2 header(master key revision 4)

Then, use the fusee_primary.bin as your payload and let us know what happens. With all luck you should boot right up on 5.1
[/QUOTE]

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

spank2610

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well that didn't work. Maintenance mode never comes up, just black sceen

That probably explains the error. As long as your keys are intact you can try rebuilding your nand (https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade), it is a long process though and your switch doesn't need to boot afaik.
I will read through it and see. Thanks for all your help by the way

thanks for taking your time and giving me a hand with this

I'm saying boot with fusee-primary using Tegra or whatever it is you use to boot the Switch while it's in RCM.
Thanks for trying to help.... I appreciate it

Reactions: bananapi761

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.