Could unauthorized streaming become illegal?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    The Obama administration wants to make unauthorized streaming illegal. And while it mainly means movies, music, tv shows... what about games? If you don't have the permission to stream on twitch or something... then what? Or are video games just magically exempt?

source

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  2. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    It's already not legal to broadcast material you have no rights too.

Sometimes I suspect these laws are just passed so the politicians can placate the entertainment industry.

Like a cat bringing you a mouse as if to say "Look I caught this for you!".

Laws that are insanely difficult to enforce are as useful as a third testicle.

Gahars, xwatchmanx and Rydian like this.
  3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Streaming meaning viewing or broadcasting?

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    ^broadcasting

5. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Jesus Christ, no. I thought you were smarter than this, ShadowSoldier. The law is meant to punish the operators, not the viewers. Please edit your original post to show that.

Straight from Reddit / Washington Post, which is more professional than this stupid journalist. Please change the source to reflect on this as well before we get a flame war.
    Source.
    Not that I don't disagree with this law.

6. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Oh boy, nObama wants to step on more things I like to do that are already questionable.

Haloman800 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  7. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    [​IMG]

This picture it made me laugh a little.

Satangel and Haloman800 like this.
  8. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I loled hard at the pic.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  9. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Well games are a form of media; they're just a bit more interactive than Blu-ray movies, etc. Doesn't unauthorized mean illegal, or is it just a very close synonym? I wouldn't authorize you to file for disability using my social security card, but if you decided to do that, then it would be illegal. And unauthorized. But of course I'll never get to tell them that.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    On games -- I thought there was already an established precedent http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo...outube-videos-featuring-their-product.347986/

Barring increased risk of cancer I am not sure it is inherently non useful. It would quite possibly also make you some form of chimera and any extra probability you can have in your favour if the condom breaks is potentially useful.

Skelletonike likes this.
  11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    I think the answer is in the question... unauthorized === illegal

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not entirely sure where you are heading with that but for the benefit of others reading we probably should note that in the US there are various levels of crimes with various punishments associated with them, some of which will follow you for a long time afterwards. This proposal seems to be dealing with what would appear to be an oddity in the legal statutes that does not allow for much variation between the utterly minor stuff and the "you own your own high bandwidth servers and rent them out" type things.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam

wow the last sentence (of the two) seemed 'complex'.

basically why is something unauthorized? its because its illegal isn't it?

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Ah OK.

The license to read this post beyond this sentence says you will have to provide me with your first born child.
    If you are now reading this you owe me your first born child, of course that is against basically every human rights law and contract going so that will not be happening.
    It gets far more complex than that though when contract law comes into play, as it does with any other time that law gets involved, and I could be doing unauthorised things with a piece of IP (Microsoft licensing is legendary for this) almost without realising it. Prior to this and mentioned earlier on we have the things like let's play and youtube so we get to discuss the nature of fair use and that can be a fine line as well. Twisting it again you are quite free to overclock your devices but if I am a manufacturer/seller then in doing so I might not have to honour your warranty.

The short version is just because something is unauthorised does not mean it is illegal. Likewise illegal is an actual term or a nonspecific term depending upon how you are viewing things -- in America there are basic/state laws, federal laws and variations within both of those (technically there is such a thing as a federal misdemeanor but for most there is a line between misdemeanor, felony and federal crimes) to say nothing of civil laws (where a lot of IP stuff falls actually), arguably this is all related to what is being discussed in this thread where apparently the sentencing guidelines and laws (when actual criminal laws are used anyway) allow for the "slap on the wrist" or "lock you up and throw away the key" with nothing much in the middle.

15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Something already illegal under preexisting law is going to remain illegal? Thanks, Obama.

I'm so sorry, Ron Paul. We could have prevented all of this. We only had to listen!

16. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam

ok i kinda get what u are saying but I pulled out in case I explode

and fine you can have her/him as long as you can pay for trip to Tanzania