Could the NES Classic be theoretically upgradeable?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since it uses a MicroUSB port for power, I think that theoretically it could be plugged into a computer to get firmware upgrades.

It's plausible anyways, if only just as insurance to make sure Nintendo doesn't have to recall them just because there's a change or glitch in the HDMI spec or a bug they missed in one of the roms.

And if that's the case... Maybe we can jailbreak it and add more roms?

It's a very slim chance, but I think it's possible. Perhaps it disables the data channels by default, but you can press a secret button combination to access a utility mode?

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it uses a MicroUSB port for power, I think that theoretically it could be plugged into a computer to get firmware upgrades.

It's plausible anyways, if only just as insurance to make sure Nintendo doesn't have to recall them just because there's a change or glitch in the HDMI spec or a bug they missed in one of the roms.

And if that's the case... Maybe we can jailbreak it and add more roms?

It's a very slim chance, but I think it's possible. Perhaps it disables the data channels by default, but you can press a secret button combination to access a utility mode?

What firmware upgrades?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What firmware upgrades?
The ones that will probably never exist unless it is discovered that there is a serious bug.

Even the Wii Mini has a USB port, but Nintendo may never push out a firmware update which then helps us figure out how to hack it.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would you bother modifying the console to install new roms when you can use a Wii/vwii (maybe wii u as well?) to emulate the nes and use the controller on a wiimote?
Maybe you don't want a Wii for some reason? I can see keeping one of these in a drawer at grandma's house to pull out when the kids come over.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you don't want a Wii for some reason? I can see keeping one of these in a drawer at grandma's house to pull out when the kids come over.
A used wii is the same price as one of these consoles at gamestop. Homebrew is free unless you get a rare console that can't use letterbomb (something to do with an update available on 4.3 iirc). Plus, the wii can do much more than the nes. I guess its all down to opinion though.

Reactions: cvskid

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If it would play NES roms natively, not emulated, then this would be an awesome price for HDMI support. I'm sure there will be someone and change the chips inside this machine, to change games, but I am wondering if it is something like a NES emulator or maybe more like a Famiclone system without cartridge slot... To me at the moment it seems completely useless and laughable, cheap rubbish similar to unlicensed 30 in 1 game controllers. Only advantage is, it's official and has HDMI. When it is just an emulator its a waste of plastic imho.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speculating at this level without so much as a PCB shot is not worth it really. Sure it will be pulled apart and people will contemplate hacking it because that is what you do. As others said though this is not going to be anything you can not get elsewhere, likely more easy to use, more functional and probably cheaper at that.

I am not sure to what extent Nintendo will attempt to protect it from hacking, if their history is anything to go by then it would not be surprising for "extensively" to be the description there (the Nintendo led NES games on the GBA account for the vast majority of games with any flavour of anti piracy on the GBA).

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not a networked console. That means no patches we can take apart to see how the code works, but also no mandatory patches to fix any vulnerabilities found. If someone figures out how to dump the rom then hacking could be as easy as plugging it into a pc and running an app, and there's absolutely nothing Nintendo can do about it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Plenty of offline devices have patch updates rather than whole system reflash as the method of choice, in fact I would wonder if it would not be nicer if it was as they would possibly also have to release a nice unbrick/sort bad flash tool which are historically a great source of info.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well you want to have a general idea what to expect so when you finally get your hands on one you can hit the ground running with several strategies for trying to crack it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is that what we are doing here? I would reckon anybody capable of making headway on a modern embedded electronics device with a slight security focus, even if one from a company as hopelessly incompetent as Nintendo, would already know all this. Sure some random with a basic knowledge of soldering might be able to improve on a digital analogue converter implementation or volume limiting or wire in a rapid fire or something,

If someone has patents, PCB shots, prototypes, FCC submissions (or Euro, Japanese, Australia, South Korea... equivalents), early builds, knows they are using a reference design from a given company or something even more fun then we might be able to talk usefully a bit more but for actual hacking I am not betting on it.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several options to play NES games on a TV, so it really is not worth hacking, but it's awesome as collectors item.
You are right. Is more of a lightweight console from the past to the present. Is probably more for parents who remember playing games like this but simple easy setup and use for anyone who just wanna play them again. Is disappointing that you can't use your carts but you get HD tv support, save states and suspend play, as well as your parents grin on their face when they see mario bros 3 again after so long. I personally or mostly anyone else here wouldn't need something like this with what is already available but is more of a lightweight product than a full scale game machine. :)

For most people it would be a nice gaming gift to some people but no hardcore gamer would have this unless for collection purposes, hobbiest, nostalgia reasons. But that is all i can see. Even if i was getting one for someone, $60 and only 30 games? Your better off buying anything else with a emulator for about the same price like Android tv, or even the ouya, and just loading it up with roms and emulators. (even if it does cost more is still worth it than 30 specific games you can't even choose) :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse