Question could switch linux run a Plex server?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by dude1, Aug 17, 2018.

1. dude1
    OP

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    Hello,
    I'm sure like many people, I have an updated primary switch and low firmware switch that's just sitting collecting dust for whatever future coldboot hacks etc. there are.

Anyway, I hear the Nvidia Shield is the only small android device capable of running a plex server that can do transcoding.
    Considering the switch at the same(-ish) processor, would it be possible for it to be a full fledged Plex server running Linux?

I'd rather not buy an Nvidia Shield if I don't need to, and I don't want to dedicate a full PC to it if I don't need as that just seems like a waste of electricity.
    Plus as mentioned above it would give the other switch a purpose for now

thanks

2. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    Yes theoretically but you're going to kill the switch quick doing that. Use a pc if you can

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Can you think of anything else you might do on a computer e.g. file server?

If you can this could be a better long term solution and I suggest looking into running PMS on ARM Linux first as it looks like e.g. transcoding may not run that well.

4. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    I don't see why not. Being a person that recycles old things into new useful things like servers, I don't see how using the embedded architecture of the switch as a server would "kill it" as some people said. Although there are much better alternatives at your disposal.

https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspberry-pi-plex-server/

And you can put it in almost anything!

[​IMG]

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Aug 17, 2018