Hacking Could nintendo pull a browser block on us?

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I've been thinking about the fact they screwed us over with the browser on 3DS >9.9 and could it happen on the Wii U aswell?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.

by the way, 5.5.0 for Wii U came after 9.9.0-26 for the 3DS (based on this). so, I also wouldn't be surprised if there's already an update nag. I don't know if we actually knew of the 3DS block until it started happening...

Last edited by ihaveahax,
Reactions: OctopusRift

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.

by the way, 5.5.0 for Wii U came after 9.9.0-26 for the 3DS (based on this). so, I also wouldn't be surprised if there's already an update nag. I don't know if we actually knew of the 3DS block until it started happening...
Good man. see ya on steam!

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to mention, 3DS game cards shipping with 9.9.0+ are shipping with a dummy web browser that is nothing more than a message telling you to do an online update.

of course I'm not saying this will happen for sure to the Wii U (I don't know much about what's happening here honestly), but there you go.

Last edited by ihaveahax,
Reactions: OctopusRift

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Main thing is just keep everything offline until it's confirmed safe to use online.... And even then.... N could still pull the 9.9 browser nag thing they did on 3DS where browser phones home and updates secretly.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even on 3DS, this issue is circumvented by simply using Emunand. My rxTools Emunand is on 10.2 and has no problems.
So hopefully some swift work will be done on getting an Emunand functioning for the WiiU. In principal we should have everything required if the IOSU is blown open.

Last edited by Kakkoii,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even on 3DS, this issue is circumvented by simply using Emunand. My rxTools Emunand is on 10.2 and has no problems.
So hopefully some swift work will be done on getting an Emunand functioning for the WiiU. In principal we should have everything we need to do it if the IOSU is blown open.
unfortunately most people don't have a 3DS sysnand of 9.2 or lower.

the browser block mostly affects Old 3DS, since if it gets the update nag, it's permanently blocked until you update. New 3DS can get around this for some reason, even if the message has appeared.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unfortunately most people don't have a 3DS sysnand of 9.2 or lower.
I think that's quite false. The whole time the scene was waiting around for a 4.5+ exploit and the line was "most people don't have a 4.5 or lower 3DS". Then an exploit came out for the latest firmware, people who followed the forums exploited their handhelds and the scene got booming. I'd say the vast majority of people interested in homebrew on their 3DS now have it. There's also the more recent hacks from Smealum that while don't allow piracy, allow homebrew on newer firmwares.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also the more recent hacks from Smealum that while don't allow piracy, allow homebrew on newer firmwares.
this is why I say "most people", because it was ironhax that made 3DS homebrew grow quickly, because it was free and up for over a week before its removal. tubehax remained the best free entry point if you didn't have Ironfall, until it was patched of course but it never got taken from the eShop. Cubic Ninja, Gateway, and Ocarina of Time 3D aren't "free", nor is getting a separate 9.2 or so system.

anyway this is a Wii U forum, not 3DS. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will implement some kind of update nag in the Wii U browser eventually, if they haven't already done it.

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
this is why I say "most people", because it was ironhax that made 3DS homebrew grow quickly, because it was free and up for over a week before its removal. tubehax remained the best free entry point if you didn't have Ironfall, until it was patched of course but it never got taken from the eShop. Cubic Ninja, Gateway, and Ocarina of Time 3D aren't "free", nor is getting a separate 9.2 or so system.

anyway this is a Wii U forum, not 3DS. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will implement some kind of update nag in the Wii U browser eventually, if they haven't already done it.
Well, anyone right now can you a 2DS or a 3DS XL new and it will come with FW's like 6.0.0/7.0.0/8.1.0, never past 9.2.0 because when 9.2 was released Nintendo was only making New 3DS's and New 3DS XL's.
So yea, if you or anyone is interested they can get a brand new 2DS with U$S89 and use Homebrew with it.

But ok, let's stop with this, I hope that the Exploit of the Browser on Wii U cannot get patched by Nintendo in some way or another.

Krantor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they would have done so by now. This is a bigger deal than the 3DS exploit since current exploits allow for easy piracy and now work on systems bellow 5.3.2
I'm still using my cellphone to execute the exploit, but sometimes I go online to play Mario Maker or Mario Kart 8 so I tell myself Nintendo can't patch it. I always make sure to check here first before going online though.

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I think they would have done so by now. This is a bigger deal than the 3DS exploit since current exploits allow for easy piracy and now work on systems bellow 5.3.2
I'm still using my cellphone to execute the exploit, but sometimes I go online to play Mario Maker or Mario Kart 8 so I tell myself Nintendo can't patch it. I always make sure to check here first before going online though.
Well, Nintendo makes more money with the 3DS than with the Wii U, so for them it's a bigger deal the 3DS exploit's than the Wii U ones.
The Wii U is coming to an end right now with all the NX stuff, so an Exploit right now would be great for Nintendo just to make some extra money selling a crap ton of Wii U's to people that will only play games with Loadiine.

Actually, Nintendo can do like the Exploit doesn't exist and sell a lot of Wii U's before the release of the next console, it's actually really smart, in the future they aren't going to make much more money with the Wii U like when it was new and Homebrew always helps to "suddenly increase sales" and make the Hardware developers some money at the end of the lifespan of a console.

Krantor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Nintendo makes more money with the 3DS than with the Wii U, so for them it's a bigger deal the 3DS exploit's than the Wii U ones.
The Wii U is coming to an end right now with all the NX stuff, so an Exploit right now would be great for Nintendo just to make some extra money selling a crap ton of Wii U's to people that will only play games with Loadiine.

Actually, Nintendo can do like the Exploit doesn't exist and sell a lot of Wii U's before the release of the next console, it's actually really smart, in the future they aren't going to make much more money with the Wii U like when it was new and Homebrew always helps to "suddenly increase sales" and make the Hardware developers some money at the end of the lifespan of a console.
Zelda U and Starfox U are really close, and those 2 will be massive system sellers. Even bigger than MK8 was, so personally I think it's a terrible time for Nintendo to let an exploit run unchecked for long.
After those 2 games come out I'm pretty sure the WiiU will be done though.

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Zelda U and Starfox U are really close, and those 2 will be massive system sellers. Even bigger than MK8 was, so personally I think it's a terrible time for Nintendo to let an exploit run unchecked for long.
After those 2 games come out I'm pretty sure the WiiU will be done though.
I don't know if those 2 games are enough, they would make more money leaving the Exploit working than with those 2 games really, and Zelda U and StarFox U are going to sell a little less than Smash or even Splatoon if you ask me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
not to mention its not so bad for 3DS users as there are alternative entry points, oot,CN,ironhax,homemenuhax where as a browser disabling on the wiiu could potentially cut you off completely with no backdoors....(unless ofc hyken pulls off the homemenuhax wiiu equivilent....but even then it would only be any good as long as its installed)

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if those 2 games are enough, they would make more money leaving the Exploit working than with those 2 games really, and Zelda U and StarFox U are going to sell a little less than Smash or even Splatoon if you ask me.
This pretty much. While Zelda itself is a huge deal, the amount of people that will buy a console once they can run backups outweights those waiting for a new Zelda title because it no longer feels like you invested into a console for just one game, when you can get the whole library without paying extra.

Reactions: Chuardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I like it gentle