Question Could a CFW add Bluetooth Audio support?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by McHaggis, Jul 30, 2018.

1. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Are any of the CFW devs looking into this? According to some sources, the Switch's Bluetooth chip should support it:

http://www.cypress.com/file/298796/download

It also occurred to me that the Switch's OS may already support Bluetooth Audio, and a CFW dev may just need to build in a method to pair a device that isn't a controller (which could also mean 3rd party controllers). It's true that Nintendo may have omitted support for Bluetooth audio for practical reasons (lag or interference with the Joy Cons), but it's equally possible they wanted to keep licensing costs down.

For anyone that's interested, you can buy a bluetoth audio adapter like the Creative BT-W2 (there's also the recent Genki adapter Kickstarter), but these have their drawbacks, such as requiring an adapter, preventing simultaneous charging or only allowing a single connection.

2. Kukielka

Kukielka GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    Germany
    This could be done via a hardmod, im looking into it. :)

Mambitos and McHaggis like this.
  3. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
    Last edited by Tumoche, Jul 30, 2018
  4. Kukielka

Kukielka GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    Germany
  5. Maximize0987

Maximize0987 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    It has been done. I have been looking into the parts in order to combine the function of my trinket and a bluetooth audio adapter. Also thinking about the usb c dongle that is coming out later this year (kickstarter). In my psp days I used to buy them with broken UMD drives and put bluetooth adapters there and microphones behind the faceplates. Im not putting much thought into it because when Im done Nintendo will enable it in the OS:rofl2:

6. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Bluetooth Driver Services on SwitchBrew

There are commands here like StartDiscovery and CreateBond. Have any devs played around with this? I haven't done anything in C++ for years, but if someone could give me a hand with minimum compilable source code to use these commands then I could test at some point during the next few weeks.

7. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    It works on Linux, so the chip support it.

jakkal likes this.
  8. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    It is theoretically achievable however I wonder what bandwidth the joycons take up on the Bluetooth side. Would have been naive of Nintendo not to include this if it was possible as it's becoming the norm in tech.

9. Garrincho

Garrincho GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2015
    Uruguay
    Well that's not really an argument, sadly, since Nintendo doesn't do/implement PLENTY of things that are already a norm in tech (in some cases, a really old norm)

10. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    Localhost
    Lakka does Bluetooth Audio.

McHaggis and slaphappygamer like this.
  11. Maximize0987

Maximize0987 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    hopefully they can work on bringing it to horizon

12. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
  13. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    Doesn't lakka also require the joycons to be physically attached? I.e not both the joycons and wireless Bluetooth are active at the same time?

Edit: can't spell apparently!

14. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    I'd imagine this can probably be achieved with something like a kip module. Lakka has bluetooth audio working, so we already know that the hardware can support it.

Someone also made a pretty cool kip module that plays background music on the home menu. I can't see why this wouldn't be possible, but nobody has taken the time to do it.

15. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    This would be nice to know. I know that there can be different Bluetooth profiles (stacks?). For example, I have bt on my pc and I’m using a Magic Mouse and beats wireless headphones connected to it. I then paired my PS3 controller to the same bt device in my pc. The drivers had to be overwritten and I lost connection on my mouse and headphones. I could not re-pair them without uninstalling the drivers for my PS3 controller. iOS does this in a similar fashion.

16. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Glad to hear Lakka supports Bluetooth Audio. I still wonder if Nintendo might be using generic BT code and all we need to do is find a way to pair.

Yeah but the downside with the dongles is they require an adapter in handheld mode and you can't charge while using them. I'm looking at getting a Creative BT-W2, they're about the same price but lower profile so a little bit better. I was going to back the Genki Kickstarter but everything included with shipping would have been over £50. More than I want to spend for convenience on the occasional plane/train journey.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted