Correct me if im wrong about rednand and usb loading

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Soccerdies, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Soccerdies
    OP

Soccerdies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2010
    United States
    Ive been reading around and if im reading correctly i should be able to create a rednand with my 128gb sd card for my 32gb wii u no problem, i have over 350gb worth of games on my HDD loaded via brazilian method but i will have to reload all of them for rednand (which isnt a problem because i saved all of them on another hdd) but what about the saves, are they transferable if i use the same nintendo id, or should i do something with saviine, all my saves are on usb. I also read (i think) that you can install virtual console games, dlc, and play online with rednand so its just better than brazilian method on sysnand. Is all of this true before i spend hours reloading games?

2. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    People are saying format your SysNAND, others are saying DON'T format SysNAND...I didn't format SysNAND and all my games are still on redNAND....Plus I can use DLC with redNAND....I didn't have my hard drive connected when I dumped my NAND...and once redNAND was loaded up, I just plugged my USB drive back in and all my games and saves were there....

levepedro and Soccerdies like this.
  3. Soccerdies
    OP

Soccerdies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2010
    United States
    So dont have it plugged in, everything will still be on the usb, do games work online?

4. tomazzzi

tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
    If you don't format your sysnand and big N release an update you ll be fucked up !

Formating the sysnand require an internet connexion, so once 5.5.2 or later will be released, if you need to format the sysnand you will be forced to update.

Format it now !!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

nope the USB drive is not linked to the NANDS but to the SEEPROM.

So if you format the sysnand, even with the disc unplugged, it will be disassociated from both sys and red nands.

MattKimura likes this.
  5. Kliffcom

Kliffcom GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I think you can format a wii u without a internet connection. It would be impossible for user without a internet connection to format their wii u ?

6. tomazzzi

tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
  7. Kliffcom

Kliffcom GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Gambia, The
    That is really sad to hear but i guess if you have already a working rednand it won't change anything if you format sysnand

8. tomazzzi

tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
    If it s like the 3ds you may need them unlinked.
    Downgrades, otp etc...

It' s best to do it while you can if you want to profit futures discoveries from the scene :)

After all it's not part of the tutorial for Nothing.

Last edited by tomazzzi, Nov 3, 2016
  9. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    There is so much debate over formatting SysNAND and NOT formatting SysNAND....I chose not to for the time being.....as of right now, its working fine....I can use my USB games on SysNAND and redNAND...I didn't have to reinstall them....it just seems that we need a clear answer on formatting and not formatting....

10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I havent found any evidence that formatting sysnand unlinks the 2. Having tried both ways I didnt notice any difference either.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Even if he formats now, how do you know he won't need to format sysNAND later anyway? Whether he formats now or not probably doesn't matter.
    And requiring an internet connection != requiring an update. The 3DS proved that.

12. Scoop111

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I'm actually quite certain, that I formatted sysNAND a few months ago without having the WiiU connected to the internet. Also the link above shows a picture of System Software 1.0.0 Think Nintendo changed it in later versions...

About unlinking the NANDs. I remember this on the 3DS. The problem was that sysNAND and redNAND were sharing the same System-Directories (on SD-Card?), cause one was the copy of the other. Formating sysNAND created new directories for the sysNAND. I don't know if it's the same for the Wii U. But even if, wouldn't it be possible to patch redNAND instead, so that the unlinking takes place there?
    I know, just formating sysNAND is probably the quicker solution, but in the long run it might be the better approach. Especially because of the USB-Drives becoming inaccessible...

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 3, 2016
  13. buda81

buda81 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States

I agree, I've never formatted my sysnand on the 3DS. I've always did a few formats on the emunand instead to unlink the accounts. I would much rather format the rednand to do the separation.

14. specht

specht GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2008
    Canada
    Should be easy enough to test. Change something in system settings in RedNAND then reboot and check if the same change applied to settings in sysNAND. Then someone who's formatted their sysNAND can try the same.

15. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    On the 3DS after the nands are unlinked, installing something on sysnand doesn't make it appear in emunand. But on the Wii U, even after formatting sysnand any new titles installed internally will also appear in rednand as [?]. Surely they can't really be unlinked if that happens?

16. tomazzzi

tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
    Your right we don't know but i think it s better to follow the instructions given properly :)

really even internally installed titles ?

definitly to me.

Maybe those infos are in the SEEPROM ?

17. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Don't forget to vote, some people haven't your luck ;) (yeah, this isn't the subject but...)

18. 75mak

75mak GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    On the 3ds, there was eventually a tool called tiny format that allowed unlinking and resetting sysnand (or emunand) without going through the format process.... Hopefully with time this will come to Wii u too.

Also, on 3ds it was possible to update emunand and not sysnand even if they were linked, although the process was more involved

19. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Just so that everyone knows:
    • When you create your redNAND, all the stuff that was previously on your sysNAND and USB drive will be available on the redNAND as well, because the certificates and title keys will be copied from your sysNAND to your redNAND.
    • After creating your redNAND, installing something to sysNAND will not be accessible from redNAND, and something installed to redNAND will not be accessible from sysNAND, obviously.
    • After creating your redNAND, installing something to a USB drive via sysNAND will allow the installed title to work on sysNAND, but it will show up as a corrupted title on redNAND because redNAND does not have the certificates and title keys for it (because they are put on NAND for some reason, even for USB installs). The same thing will happen if you install a game via redNAND, the sysNAND will think it is corrupted.
    I'm not sure about unlinking the NANDs or even if that does anything. Let the devs progress this a little further and answers should become more clear.

yuyuyup and MattKimura like this.
  20. tomazzzi

tomazzzi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
    Just to let you know :

I did format my sysnand after the dump.
    Each game i reinstall on my usb disk works on both sysnand and rednand.

Last edited by tomazzzi, Nov 4, 2016