Hacking Official Corbenik - Another CFW for advanced users (with bytecode patches!)

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: Wolfvak

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes,i've fixed that with using the Native_Firm dumped with D9.The Native_Firm of the readme doesn't work for me :c

Because you didn't have a firmkey, probably. It's encrypted.

Reactions: Temptress Cerise

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
That's because D9 decrypts the firmware for you. Otherwise you need the firmkey to decrypt the firmware that's downloaded from those links. I guess.

Decrypt9 appears to be able to derive the firmkey somehow. I need to figure out how, though. It probably just cracks open the titlekey list, but I can't read the NAND from my code right now.

Reactions: Temptress Cerise

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is something you do after your break. :P Go play some games or watch anime! ^_^

My break appears to have evaporated into thin air. HALP. I CAN'T STOP.

BrokenToasterOven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not just you, I've never actually met anyone other than on this forum, who've got this "firmware" working. Everyone seems to be having the 'Can't Open Native Firm' issue. This 'CFW' just isn't quite THERE yet, I don't think. ;__;

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not just you, I've never actually met anyone other than on this forum, who've got this "firmware" working. Everyone seems to be having the 'Can't Open Native Firm' issue. This 'CFW' just isn't quite THERE yet, I don't think. ;__;
You need the firmkey. It worked fine for me, because I had the firmkey, and so Corbenik was able to decrypt it just fine.

Reactions: chaoskagami

BrokenToasterOven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried like 4 versions of what is supposed to be the 'firmkey', nothing works. At least rxTools can boot without having to scour the internet and hack together a solution just to get it to start up. It's nothing personal, I'll probably just come back and check this out when it's a bit more developed.

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

It works perfectly fine unless you aren't following the README like you should be.

I've tried like 4 versions of what is supposed to be the 'firmkey', nothing works. At least rxTools can boot without having to scour the internet and hack together a solution just to get it to start up. It's nothing personal, I'll probably just come back and check this out when it's a bit more developed.

If you had actually downloaded and read the README.md you would know that you can also use D9 to decrypt the firmware and avoid the firmkey entirely. None of this is actually an issue unless you're incapable of reading.

No offense taken. Have fun with your rxBrick next firmware update. ;P

BrokenToasterOven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I'm using Luma + A9LH. I just wanted to have a poke around something new and interesting. It's just not yet at the point where I feel comfortable using it. If D9 can retrieve and decrypt the data so easily, I don't see why that's not part of the actual CFW, or at least a pre-loader, Luma etc. never required me to and hunt for files that only work for a handful of people, and that's why I prefer it. That's all I'm saying. It's more an issue that I don't have the time, or patience to sift through half-working instructions. Especially if the 'official' instructions are 'yeah, I can't actually tell you where to get this lol'.

There's no need to get so aggressive, I'm just saying it's not at the point where I feel it's worth replacing Luma on my setup.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm using Luma + A9LH. I just wanted to have a poke around something new and interesting. It's just not yet at the point where I feel comfortable using it. If D9 can retrieve and decrypt the data so easily, I don't see why that's not part of the actual CFW, or at least a pre-loader, Luma etc. never required me to and hunt for files that only work for a handful of people, and that's why I prefer it. That's all I'm saying. It's more an issue that I don't have the time, or patience to sift through half-working instructions. Especially if the 'official' instructions are 'yeah, I can't actually tell you where to get this lol'.

There's no need to get so aggressive, I'm just saying it's not at the point where I feel it's worth replacing Luma on my setup.
You are not the target audience. If you are happy with Luma3DS then stick with it. If you want something simpler go look at SaltFW.

Again, this meant for advance power users or devs.

BrokenToasterOven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You are not the target audience. If you are happy with Luma3DS then stick with it. If you want something simpler go look at SaltFW.

Again, this meant for advance power users or devs.

It's not that I'm not that target audience, considering I work as a software engineer I wouldn't say I'm not a 'power user', however your condescending attitude is rather offputting. This is a thread for feedback, no? I'm just saying it's slightly irritating to require such an arduous process of fetching lists of files, with no link to them, simply pointing to yet more guides and tutorials for every step of the way, just to turn the console on.

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Tried booting to EmuNAND set up on the aforementioned offset, then tried RedNAND - still no luck :/

Well, it is marked as experimental. It'll be working next release, promise. For now, just avoid Reverse mode.

It's not that I'm not that target audience, considering I work as a software engineer I wouldn't say I'm not a 'power user', however your condescending attitude is rather offputting. This is a thread for feedback, no? I'm just saying it's slightly irritating to require such an arduous process of fetching lists of files, with no link to them, simply pointing to yet more guides and tutorials for every step of the way, just to turn the console on.

It's not intended to replace Luma. It probably never will replace Luma, because Luma is a good tool and is very simple to use. I'm developing this in my free time, not as a job.

I give you the links to the firmware files off Nintendo's CDN in the README. How hard is it to download them, run them through D9, and copy them to the folder? I mean, really? Do I need to distribute a wget script? Powershell, maybe?

The README says 'I can't tell you where to get this' because it's Nintendo's intellectual property and not mine to distribute. Even giving links to the firmware files is pushing it. I'd like to keep this project as squeaky clean legally as possible so I can keep developing it, thank you very much.

I'm not really being aggressive, but if you expected something deliberately simplified like Luma, you're in the wrong place regardless of whether you're actually a SE.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not sure how I was being condescending. Very hard to show emotion with just text only.

Anywho. I don't know how or where you were trying to get your firmkeys, but the README.md, clearly shows how to get them.

You'll need the firmkey for it as well unless you have decrypted your firmware, and it should be placed at/corbenik/keys/native.key. I can't tell you where to get it obviously, but there are a few ways to get valid firmware with/without a firmkey and not involving a download from a questionable place:

• Decrypt the CETK using D9 and extract the firmkey using D9's scripts
  • Extract the encTitleKey using D9's scripts, and have D9 convert it
  • Decrypt the firmware with D9 directly
  • Boot another CFW, then reboot into Corbenik with a cetk for native at /corbenik/keys/native.cetk
You can also fetch the agb firm and twl firms to /corbenik/firmware/agb and /corbenik/firmware/twl respectively. If you don't have the firmkeys for these, you can fetch the cetk for each of them to /corbenik/keys/agb.cetk and/corbenik/keys/twl.cetk. Boot up the system, go to system settings, and it will extract the firm keys for them after rebooting.

Now, I already had my firmkeys, however, just to go the extra mile, I tested it out again. (I doubt this release would have broken it though) - And anyways, I booted into Luma3DS, then went to System Settings, then rebooted into Corbenik, and the .keys were all in the /keys/ folder. I hashed them against my previous ones, just for good measure, and they were the same.

So I am not exactly sure what you were doing or where you were getting them, but just following the readme, I was able to get them just fine again.

chaoskagami has already answered why he can't link or provide those files, but has given methods on how to get them and//or decrypt the firmware.

Also, if you don't have the patience to set up Corbenik, that should also be another clean indicator, that this isn't for you. This isn't meant to be an "easy" or "noob-friendly" CFW. I don't even see itself as presenting itself as such, so I am not sure why it should strive for that. I mean, just think about how easy it is to just possibly brick with Corbenik. Turn off Firm Protect, and let an update run.

Anyways, if I sound offensive or mean or anything, that's not at all what I intended.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot