Gaming Copying rentals?

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it's easy to copy rentals and is it safer than dling the games through torrents and whatnot?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kirokun said:
I was wondering if it's easy to copy rentals and is it safer than dling the games through torrents and whatnot?
Definitely less chance of getting caught but you'll have to make sure the discs don't have scratches or anything. Some people do the same thing except with Netflix and they copy DVDs and send them right back.

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it easy to copy though?

I'm guessing pop the discs on the dvd drive and using alcohol 120% to create an image for me.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kirokun said:
Is it easy to copy though?

I'm guessing pop the discs on the dvd drive and using alcohol 120% to create an image for me.
Unfortunately, thats not the case. The only way to get games directly onto your computer through the disc drive is by purchasing a specific DVD drive that is able to read the disks. the easiest way is to use a USBloader but another way is to send it over wifi, through the wii to your computer.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll never be caught torrenting games. Unless maybe you ask the cops how to make your torrent of *insert game title* faster.
Though even then they just really wouldn't care.

But anyways, there's a 0 chances of being caught duping rentals, it's also faster to do then a lot of torrents (excluding new games).
But of course, it costs cash and that alone really takes the worth out of the speediness.

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The nearby library has some Wii games that you can rent for like a quarter for 3 days or so, I even heard of other libraries that let you rent them for free.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it!

Hells Malice said:
You'll never be caught torrenting games. Unless maybe you ask the cops how to make your torrent of *insert game title* faster.
Though even then they just really wouldn't care.

But anyways, there's a 0 chances of being caught duping rentals, it's also faster to do then a lot of torrents (excluding new games).
But of course, it costs cash and that alone really takes the worth out of the speediness.

You are wrong, I got caught by Activision once for dling their games, they knew the exact torrent file name as well.
I applied some Vuze security options so that this won't happen again, though your IPS keeps track of everything you do, they don't really check it but it's there.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I did it, worked like a charm.
Copied SSBB and MK Wii that way, still use both copies.
Just copy them to your HDD, and then connect the HDD to your PC and get the updates out.
Then you can play them safely on your Wii.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read of a person once who accidentally returned the copy and kept the original. The store was not pleased.

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
pirating is illegal and bad, don't do it *wink wink* only copy games that you own *grin*

I tried that with my old original SMG disc, and Alcohol 120% couldn't read the disc : [

Also I don't have an external HDD... yet I'll buy one for my birthday hopefully.

P.S. anyone know any good places to buy these HDDs? Also any of you recommend a specific HDD for me to buy in September?
tongue.gif

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
there are only 3 PC DVD drives that can read wii disks....and they've been taken off the market for a long time now(for obvious reasons
smile.gif
)
if you REALLY want to copy DVDs though your pc then get a used one from e-bay,they cost around 100$

without one of those DVD drives your only option is to have a HDD or a big enough usb stick(actually idk about that,I'm just guessing)

I'd recommend you get a 500GB HDD since it's large enough for all of the good games(and then some!)
or get a 1TB if you want to use it with your PC as well and not only with your wii

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dysan said:
there are only 3 PC DVD drives that can read wii disks....and they've been taken off the market for a long time now(for obvious reasons
smile.gif
)
if you REALLY want to copy DVDs though your pc then get a used one from e-bay,they cost around 100$

without one of those DVD drives your only option is to have a HDD or a big enough usb stick(actually idk about that,I'm just guessing)

I'd recommend you get a 500GB HDD since it's large enough for all of the good games(and then some!)
or get a 1TB if you want to use it with your PC as well and not only with your wii

Any particular brand?
I heard bad to average things about Seagate and WD hard drives.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
You are wrong, I got caught by Activision once for dling their games, they knew the exact torrent file name as well.
I applied some Vuze security options so that this won't happen again, though your IPS keeps track of everything you do, they don't really check it but it's there.

Downloading traced torrents is your fault brosef.

Most traced games have comments along the lines of "OMGZ TRAYCED, GUISE DUN DOWNLOAD", and repeat that 100 times.
They even get bait-seeded to incite people to download them a lot of the time. Funny.

Downloading non-traced torrents is as easy as tying your shoes, and if you never download a traced torrent...you will NEVER get in trouble.

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
QUOTE said:

Downloading traced torrents is your fault brosef.

Most traced games have comments along the lines of "OMGZ TRAYCED, GUISE DUN DOWNLOAD", and repeat that 100 times.
They even get bait-seeded to incite people to download them a lot of the time. Funny.

Downloading non-traced torrents is as easy as tying your shoes, and if you never download a traced torrent...you will NEVER get in trouble.

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it :]

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you do not want to buy a HDD yet then you can use Super Dumper Wii homebrew app) to dump the game from the Wii dvd drive to USB or SD card, you have the choice of 2 or 3 sizes to dump the game in. Then after you finish one part you can remove the source you copied it to and put it on your PC then reinsert the source and do the rest of the game. Finally after all the parts are on your PC just combine the files into an ISo and burn it to a disk.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kirokun said:
Any particular brand?
I heard bad to average things about Seagate and WD hard drives.

it's been all good with WD portable drives (USB powered)....i've done a half dozen mods equipped with WD Passports 320GB and i use Portable Elements 640GB.... my first drive was a 320GB passport that was bad, but that was purchased as a refurb and had to be RMA'd....my sister also burned up her 320GB passport by sticking a scissors into the wii drive to get 5 discs out that her 3 year old son stuck in there (yeah, she's dumb for not unplugging anything prior to sticking metal objects into the wii)...that drive too was RMA'd as it was under warranty....

i've also done one with an Iomega 3.5" 1TB...that drive was a bit slower to load and quite a bit louder....

Loop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're considering getting an external USB drive, be sure to check this list.

I would definitely look for one which is entirely USB powered and turns on automatically.
I have a 500GB Toshiba one similar to this one & it works perfectly.

Personally I don't think you really need 500GB, about 320GB is plenty of space (especially as most loaders will automatically trim the iso/wbfs file when you copy it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro