Hacking Converting emulator files to Virtual Console

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to convert a .sra file so that it can be used with a virtual console game?

I spent the better part of today trying to convert a Dexdrive save into a VC-compatible format, with no luck. Fortunately, I managed to use a few utilities I found to make a very similar save on an emulator, but I've run into a brick wall. All of the information I found on the subject of save conversion dealt with either playing a VC save on a PC, or converting it to run on another emulator on the Wii.

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game that I'm trying to work with has horrible lag on the emulator I have, and using the Virtual Console gives me access to a substantially larger display. Also, i'm not very good at using keyboards as controllers.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Adrikan said:
The game that I'm trying to work with has horrible lag on the emulator I have, and using the Virtual Console gives me access to a substantially larger display. Also, i'm not very good at using keyboards as controllers.
You could run the emulator on the Wii.

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to play Ogre Battle 64. I've beaten it several times, and I'd like to test something. There's a character in-game that you can get up to three of on a typical playthrough, and I'd like to see what effect that limitation actually has on gameplay.

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have the game on my Wii, I just want to convert a save into the format used by the VC. Based on what I've read about ROM Injection, it doesn't seem likely that it will address that.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It isn't entirely true that you can't convert saves to VC format, it is just difficult to do (see here)

Also, I tried ogre battle 64 in wii64, and it is playable (27-36 fps), but all the sprites are white (at least they are in the intro part, I didn't play that long...)

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
person66 said:
It isn't entirely true that you can't convert saves to VC format, it is just difficult to do (see here)

Also, I tried ogre battle 64 in wii64, and it is playable (27-36 fps), but all the sprites are white (at least they are in the intro part, I didn't play that long...)

Thanks for telling me this.

I actually got someone to look at some Ogre Battle 64 saves, and they couldn't do anything with them, so I'm starting to wonder if there's some special procedure that needs to be used with this game.

I unpacked my save file with FE100 0.22, and got a folder named 000100014e415945, with files inside it called ###banner###.ppm, ###icon0###.ppm, ###icon1###.ppm, ###icon2###.ppm, ###icon3###.ppm, ###icon4###.ppm, ###icon5###.ppm, ###icon6###.ppm, ###icon7###.ppm, ###title###, and RAM_NOBE. The banner file was 37 kb, the eight icon files were 7 kb each, the title file is 1 kb, and the RAM_NOBE file is 32 kb. Is any of this atypical, and what parts would I be changing if I wanted to edit the save?

Adrikan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo_Chick said:
The best way by far to play n64 roms is on the pc with project64 or 1964. If you can't get it to work with them, you won't get it working on the wii.

I already have the Virtual Console version of the game I'm trying to convert saves for, and it plays better than both 1964 and project64 in terms of glitches and framerate. I have yet to play a game on an emulator that didn't perform better on a the platform it was mde for. Given that, what do you base your claim that the emulators are superior on?

CEpeep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adrikan said:
Nintendo_Chick said:
The best way by far to play n64 roms is on the pc with project64 or 1964. If you can't get it to work with them, you won't get it working on the wii.

I already have the Virtual Console version of the game I'm trying to convert saves for, and it plays better than both 1964 and project64 in terms of glitches and framerate. I have yet to play a game on an emulator that didn't perform better on a the platform it was mde for. Given that, what do you base your claim that the emulators are superior on?

The Virtual Console is an emulator itself. At best, you are just arguing about which emulator is better. Anyway, the RAM_NOBE in your save is the RAM dump (your save). In that thread person66 posted, there's some basic instructions for how to get certain types of N64 saves working on the VC.

Open RAM_NOBE and your original Dex Drive save up in hex editors and compare them. If you're lucky, you might just have to do some byte-flipping and possibly add padding if the Dex Drive save isn't 32k. After that, run your new save through FE100 (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FE100) and see if it works. If you are successful, you should document your process. If this is beyond your skill level, playing the game on a PC N64 emulator or on Wii64 are your best bets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: What does pizza and sex have in common? When its good, its good. But when its bad, its still...