Gaming Controller Durability

tkg21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I used to play on the PC with a Xbox controller... and, well... it has disintegrated . . .
Ok, I should explain better.

First of all, I dropped the controller, like, 10~20 times, from a height of more or less 80cm (about 3fts). On first fall, LB got a little loose and at the last it broke x-axis on right analog. That was all my fault, and I have no complain about those,
HOWEVER, the left analog started to crumble and eventually it broke at the middle of the stick. I super-glued it, but i didn't least and all that has left now is less than half of it.

Anyone else got the same problem? And if you do, does Hori Ex2 Pad Turbo have similar durability? I thinking on buying it.

Also, as you may see, I'm not exactly fluent at english, so, if I misspelled something, or anything else, could you correct, me, plz?

Thanks for the help.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Er, are you talking about a first-party 360 controller? (IE: from microsoft) because there's something very wrong if you did. Those things can withstand a tank shot, I swear. They're unbreakable. The only time I ever was capable of damaging a 360 controller was like 2 years playing Guitar Hero 3 on expert, my left bumper stopped being responsive.

As for if any other 360 controller is as durable...I honestly doubt it. First party controllers are pretty much always the way to go.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You should take more care with your controller imo.

The Hori Ex2 Pad Turbo is a 3rd party product and will not offer the same sturdiness as the original.
You may buy it obviously but I say that if you take more care about it it will last longer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I dropped the controller, like, 10~20 times

Do you wash your hands in Vaseline before you game or do you just drop stuff a lot? Have I let a controller fall because I was done using it, typically on a soft surface like a bed or couch? Of course. Have I ever dropped a controller? Almost never, I certainly can't remember ever dropping a controller on purpose.

And the controller are rather sturdy, at most the battery holder will break, which can be fixed with a little tape and that's about it.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've had my 360 for about three years or so, and my original controler that came with it is still in perfect condition, even after falling down a couple of times from my stand next to me bed (which is roughly one meter and a half) because of me bumping into it or something... At most, it has some small scratches barely noticeable, but other than that I don't really see how you managed to break it... IMHO xbox controlers are the most durable controlers ever. xP

Reactions: 1 person

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've had my 360 for about three years or so, and my original controler that came with it is still in perfect condition, even after falling down a couple of times from my stand next to me bed (which is roughly one meter and a half) because of me bumping into it or something... At most, it has some small scratches barely noticeable, but other than that I don't really see how you managed to break it... IMHO xbox controlers are the most durable controlers ever. xP

I've thrown my controller once in a blind rage and it still is unscratched.
The thumbsticks show a little wear and tear but for 3 years worth of gaming thats pretty normal.

Rob3rr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't say I've had a durability problem with the 360 controllers. What I have had a problem with is the wired headsets- I've got through 2 of them because they break far too easily. I swear they are made of polystyrene. Thankfully I switched to one of the wired headsets and it hasn't broken, but they do disconnect every now and then.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a hori, and while i have no problem with the durability, the analog sticks are sometimes kinda wonky, with deadzone issues and stuff. Supposedly this is adjustable, but no matter where I set the switch it's just unusable in certain circumstances (like the galaxy map in ME2). It's really great in SSF4, tho.

I've got a madcatz as well, with similar issues, but that one definitely feels cheap, and if you're having durability issues with an MS pad, def stay away from madcatz.

Only issues with my MS pad are the horrible d-pad, which is a design flaw, and a little wear on the top of the analog sticks. The little bumpy things wear down, but my controller-s for the Xbox had a similar issue and otherwise it's still perfectly fine. Just a side effect of whatever the sticks are made of, I guess. It's not really bad, though, and some people might not even notice, I just happen to be the type that does.

iMinotauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I constantly wear out left thumb stick, walks forward in game when I'm not even directing movement. I've done so 3 times already! :angry: It could be due to me playing FPS games...

tkg21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Holy cra*... i forgot this topic! xD
But okay... I found out my controller is rly 3rd party u.u
Aaaand actually... I didn't dropped it - it fell down from my desk, when I, somehow, touched the chord.
Bah... I'm delaying it, but soon I'll buy a new one and 1st party this time, of course. Yei! :D

Thanks for clarifying my doubts, folks! another happy citizen in GBATemp community!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only problem I've had with a 360 controller is the d-pad of those adjustable d-pad controllers. I've been forced to replaced the d-pad twice due to hairline cracks appearing over it. repeated pressure in a confined area caused it I believe. personally, I'd either buy the button(s) that broke and fix it or buy a new shell casing rather than buying a new controller.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That´s not true.
RRoD is just the 3 red lights that indicate a hardware failure.
Mostly people associate it with overheating.

All Xenon and Zephyr 360´s are prone to RRoD way quicker then Jasper units.
It also has to do with the place and ventilation.

Xenon and Zephyr 360´s overheat quicker then Opus and Falcons.
Jasper and Jasper/Kronos models are nearly RRoD proof.

Trinity does overheat but hardly gives an overheating RRoD and Corona is unknown.
Probably the same as Trinity.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you kidding me? I throw my controller regularly, sit on it, and stepped on it blindly in the dark. Not only does this thing work properly, but its pretty much unscathed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.