Constant clicking in my Wii...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Veloxi, Aug 23, 2008.

Aug 23, 2008

Constant clicking in my Wii... by Veloxi at 5:03 AM (1,213 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Veloxi
    OP

Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    I've sort of noticed this happening ever since I got my Wii... I never did anything funky with it, never opened it, dropped it, kicked it, exposed it to water, etc. etc.

For some reason, it has problems either reading a disc, or it will constantly go "click...click...click...click" like the disc is trying it's hardest to read... but it can't, since upon release they had their robots working overtime and I'm sure I just got a defective system.

Anyway, upon it's constant clicking, which scares the hell out of me because I know soon enough my Wii will just bust, a screen pops up and says "Please reset the game, your disc cannot be read" or something along those lines.

What in the fux. Any ideas?

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Call Ninty... they'll have you send your system in, and they'll send you a new one.

Your save games will be copied over, as well as your Mii's, but you won't be able to edit your Mii's... since they came from a different Wii.

All your downloaded channels will be gone, but they will transfer your Shop ID to the new console, so you just have to download everything agian, and it won't cost anything.

3. Veloxi
    OP

Iceland
    Really? Is this some kind of known problem that they are aware of? I've never had friends or anyone else having this problem, but man... it sucks to know my system could just die at any second. Once I get the new one, though... I think it'll be time for my first modchip [​IMG]

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Mine has done that every since I took it apart, but it works fine and has worked fine for months

5. Veloxi
    OP

Iceland
    I also noticed that some newer systems have an orange light on the Wii when you hit Power to power it down, for some reason mine is either solid red, or solid green. I see no orange.

6. fischju

United States
    That is because those systems have WiiConnect 24 on, you can turn it on in the menu.

7. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Orange L.E.D. indicates a connection to wiiconnect24. Although sometimes mine stays orange even when there is no connection. I think wiiconnect24 is a joke...as all it does it tell you when there is a change, and it never downloads anything big. What a waste, to have your system running standy like that all the time, overheating it, for nothing...lol

8. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes, if you have a MyNintendo account you can reregister it to the new Wii, I suggest you do send it in though. Nintendo usally does this, just say it started doing this after blah blah month. [​IMG]

9. fischju

United States
    Messages sent via the Wii Message Board are downloaded automatically when WiiConnect24 is on.

10. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    But i hear a lot of problems occurring from overheating and such. It seems like the feature could of been written better. Maybe this was just release-era consoles, im not sure....

11. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    I have a pretty old console and it would heat up pretty good if I left Wiiconnect24 on. I turned it off to install my chip and haven't turned it back on since.

12. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Hey my wii make a clicking noise when it reads a disc, but so does my friends, and my other friends. so maybe its normal? oh and it doesnt do this DURING a game, only when in disc channel

13. neo_hito

Newcomer neo_hito Advanced Member

Australia
    CLICKING NOISE! it was a sign....

Mine made clicky noise whenever a disc is inside the wii, lasted for about 3 days.

Day 3: In the middle of playing Endless Ocean, suddenly it stops and the screen says bad disc read (or something)
    since then I've braved myself to opening the case, dismantled it upto the drive part... couldn't figure out what's wrong
    but what's happening is that the drive couldn't keep the disc locked in the drive, it kept spewing it back out.

Months later:
    Bored with nothing to do, decided to take another look. Search around the net and found... this
    Apparently one of the cheap plastic cog that kept the disc locked broke apart, it still spins, sucking the disc in but will never be able to keep it locked [​IMG]

So now my wii is kept alive by pushing some of the plastic in manually when I want to insert a disc.

14. DrHectic

Newcomer DrHectic Advanced Member

Australia
    Well with my wii it makes clicking noises and gave me quite a few reading errors. When I first got it I played it sitting in the stand, but I noticed it reads stuff a lot better when it's lying flat. Dunno if that helps you out