Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link

"Next-gen consoles have been banned from UK jails following concerns they could be used to coordinate terror attacks

The Sun reports that games consoles that can be used by inmates to send and receive radio signals have been deemed too much of a threat to the peace. Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's DS consoles have reportedly been banned from jails as a result.

As reported previously, UK home secretary John Reid said in March, "Advice was issued to all prisons in December 2005 that the Sony PlayStation 3 was barred from the prison estate because of the equipment's ability to send and receive radio signals." The banning of games consoles in UK prisons has now seemingly been extended to Microsoft and Nintendo systems.

Advertisement:
A source told the UK tabloid, "The technology in the new generation of computer games makes them a security risk.

"There is concern that top terror suspects have been using systems already in jails. Radio software is an integral part of the equipment."

A secret security report obtained by the paper suggests that fears extend beyond the communication capabilities offered by next-gen consoles, with the banning of all games consoles in prisons still a possibility."

Should they even have bloody consoles in the first place?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
[sarcasm] OMG, criminal masterminds coordinate their operations from prison via Pictochat! The DS is a threat to national security
ohmy.gif

...while minor thugs are honing their skills by playing GTA. We should definitely ban consoles in jail.
lecture.gif
[/sarcasm]

What's wrong with these people? It's a prison, and they get consoles and more games than we "model" citizens can afford! And instead of saying "enough luxury, this is supposed to be your punishment, not a vacation", the only reason to take away their commodities is terrorism?!?!
rolleyes.gif

isugoat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gotta agree. why the hell do they have them in the first place? if you could escape the anal rape and shanking, prison would be a great time.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck that. People in prison should be fed their own feces and be barely kept alive. Watching TV and recreation besides necessary excersise should be banned.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This just in:
apparently mirrors can be used to send radio waves (visible light) over several kilometers.

Rumour has it visitors are allowed in prison as well.

Anyhow I knew prison teaches some serious stuff but high level electronics?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Agreeing with everyone else in here, they shouldn't have them in there anyway. I get it, they need something to do but isn't that what books, notepads, chore-type jobs and crafts are for?

It's funny, everyone thinks prisoners get too much stuff but no-one upstairs seems to be paying attention to the general public's opinion.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
[sarcasm] OMG, criminal masterminds coordinate their operations from prison via Pictochat! The DS is a threat to national securityÂ
ohmy.gif
Â
...while minor thugs are honing their skills by playing GTA. We should definitely ban consoles in jail.Â
lecture.gif
[/sarcasm]
What's wrong with these people? It's a prison, and they get consoles and more games than we "model" citizens can afford! And instead of saying "enough luxury, this is supposed to be your punishment, not a vacation", the only reason to take away their commodities is terrorism?!?!Â
rolleyes.gif

I agree with you it's madness!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with hollaback, WTF are criminals doing getting consoles in jail? Put the f**kers to work. Think of how good things would be if prisoners were forced to properly work 12 hours a day. Bring back the chain gang.

The UK law system is becoming a big bleedin joke. 15 year old kids who go on crime sprees get sent on holidays, prisoners have consoles that I can't afford to get. WTF has happened to this country!

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Advice was issued to all prisons in December 2005 that the Sony PlayStation 3 was barred from the prison estate because of the equipment's ability to send and receive radio signals."

So, you're telling me that inmates had the PS3, while people were camping out for them less than a month before that? Hopefully I'm misreading the information somehow.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
[RANT]
Nope, it sounds about right. There's something about the way the UK is currently where people are more concerned with making sure prisoners are comfortable then making sure that they don't commit crime.

A gang of kids tried to stab my sister and her family, and then my parents when they went out to help (thank god my Dad is a 3rd Dan Wu Shu hehe), and out of the 6 that attacked them only one got sent to prison. The worst thing was, the cops offered the main offender the chance to charge my Dad with assault because my Dad kicked him in the chest when the prick lunged at him with his knife. He didn't want to press charges so the cops just gave my Dad a warning. The cops said he shouldn't have fought back. Super common problem in the UK at the mo.

Hell, last month around 100 kids attacked a police station in the UK because they stopped a rave at a warehouse that the kids had broken into!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the guy that went to jail only got 4 months! Apparently the courts felt sorry for him because he's had a bit of hard life. I know the kid who did it and he's not had that hard of a life, not really any harder than the average person. In fact the little prick has had more opportunities in life than I ever had.
[/RANT]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[RANT]
Nope, it sounds about right. There's something about the way the UK is currently where people are more concerned with making sure prisoners are comfortable then making sure that they don't commit crime.

A gang of kids tried to stab my sister and her family, and then my parents when they went out to help (thank god my Dad is a 3rd Dan Wu Shu hehe), and out of the 6 that attacked them only one got sent to prison. The worst thing was, the cops offered the main offender the chance to charge my Dad with assault because my Dad kicked him in the chest when the prick lunged at him with his knife. He didn't want to press charges so the cops just gave my Dad a warning. The cops said he shouldn't have fought back. Super common problem in the UK at the mo.

Hell, last month around 100 kids attacked a police station in the UK because they stopped a rave at a warehouse that the kids had broken into!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the guy that went to jail only got 4 months! Apparently the courts felt sorry for him because he's had a bit of hard life. I know the kid who did it and he's not had that hard of a life, not really any harder than the average person. In fact the little prick has had more opportunities in life than I ever had.
[/RANT]

I feel for you guys TrolleyDave, I have lost count of how close to ending up on the wrong side of the law both myself and people (normally ex military) I know have been in similar situations. The really horrible thing is even if you are acquitted or the judge throws it out of court (even a non-criminal one) is it follows you.

Guess I have to stick to not leaving a mark.

There was one incident I feel kind of bad about though.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reading the title I really thought this was about that prisoners just don't deserve next-gen consoles
laugh.gif
because before you know it EVERYBODY goes committing crimes so they can play PS3 games for free!

By the way, it might be a topic worth discussing: "Murderers shouldn't be playing computer games!".... For example the fellow who murdered someone on a train station with an axe yesterday, can he go killing people in Manhunt 2 tomorrow in the comfort of his own cell? Think about it. It's a mad world isn't it?

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow. TrolleyDave's story is really messed up. It seems every country in the world needs to take another look at and revise their laws. =/

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
[RANT]
Nope, it sounds about right. There's something about the way the UK is currently where people are more concerned with making sure prisoners are comfortable then making sure that they don't commit crime.

A gang of kids tried to stab my sister and her family, and then my parents when they went out to help (thank god my Dad is a 3rd Dan Wu Shu hehe), and out of the 6 that attacked them only one got sent to prison. The worst thing was, the cops offered the main offender the chance to charge my Dad with assault because my Dad kicked him in the chest when the prick lunged at him with his knife. He didn't want to press charges so the cops just gave my Dad a warning. The cops said he shouldn't have fought back. Super common problem in the UK at the mo.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the guy that went to jail only got 4 months! Apparently the courts felt sorry for him because he's had a bit of hard life. I know the kid who did it and he's not had that hard of a life, not really any harder than the average person. In fact the little prick has had more opportunities in life than I ever had.
[/RANT]

Rant on, brother!
bow.gif

England's youth is running around like fucking monkeys! The whole country is beginning to rot coz all the little shits are giving respect to dumb-as-fuck, swaggering, alpha male wannabe meat-heads instead of looking up to the intelligent people in our society! Then they get their 14 year-old girlfriends pregnant, so we end up with a new generation of idiots raised by these fucking monkeys.
mad.gif

me @ nowWhen dumb people command respect, civilization crumbles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta sell my weed so I can loose weight by buying non fda approved subscription wrightloss drugs