Hacking Cons of DS Lite?

DMCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST, why not just invest and get a Passcard3? It does everything and more that a passme1 does without sticking out at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm it seems my inability to appear sarcastic in real life translates to the internet too.
I will get a new passme device as and when I need it, I prefer Flashme anyhow.

As for another negative there is no classic nes version yet.

ole jason

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see why it's silly to shrink things that are supposed to be portable to begin with. No one complains about smaller mp3 players or thinner cell phones.

Cons:
Volume slider - it seems really inprecise for me... I either get it too loud or too soft. I wish it had button controlled volume.

Power slider - this makes me nervous when I have a game in sleep mode. I'm afraid if I put it in my pocket I might pull the slider somehow.

Buttons - they feel fine but they're not as good as the GBA micro

My girlfriend says it looks "cheap" hehe

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XD.. its super pretty.. I love the white one.. kinda like apple's package.. (way to much alike.. compare to ibook..)..

i dont think i looks cheap.. O,o.. looks classy..
O,o only someone with bad eyes think its ugly.. ehhe but everyone have their own opinion..

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually I like the start/select buttons much more this time around.
In fact it's easier for my thumb to slide down ad press them without chanching my hand position, as on the phat DS.
Try to hit select on the old model, you'll find out that in order to do that , you'll have to adjust your hand position, and loose time and feel.
Besindes on the Lite you can easily press start and select at the same time, just like I used to on the original GBA.
For me the new start and select buttons are defenetly a pro.
And the volume slider wasn't any good on the old DS either.
The power button is a thousand time better,believe it or not, it happened even to me with the old model to accidentally shoot it off, expecially after long GBA SP gaming sessions, I wouldn't instintively find the right button on the DS, thus cousing the accindetally power off.
Can't happen on the DSLite now !
Couldn't be happier.
Yeha maybe I don't like the volume slider, that's all, but it's not worse then the original anyway.

slandar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My complaints about the DS Lite?

It didn't come with a case or wrist strap. That is the worst of it for me.

The GBA games sticking out is somewhat quirky, but it doesn't really bother me, probably because I am playing DS games all the time.

The buttons don't bother me.

The volume slider could be better in my opinion.

I would prefer that the screen lock closed and seal out dust/pocket lint/etc.

The case is pretty, but it does fingerprint badly as any glossy case does.

Between the original DS and the Lite, I think the 'phat' takes the ugly title hands down. I'm curious as to what the people who think the Lite is ugly think looks good, but that is off topic and can be continued elseware.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with it. The wriststrap can be bought from Nintendo's store for around $4? So that bugs me that it wasn't included by Nintendo. No real complaints.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never had an old DS and I love my DS Lite but the volume slider is in a bad place, I've accidentally pushed it several times.
cry.gif

ramen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
agree with the others....

loose volume slider, small start/select, no wrist strap (cmon nintendo dont be so cheap!)

other than that....it's great !!!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess my DS had a very loose volumn slider, cause my Lite's slider is much better. Only complaint here is the start and select buttons.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I never owned a DS. But the DS Lite I love. When I saw my friends, the screens alone sold me (the same as when i first saw the psp screen). This thing is just awesome. I agree the D-pad is a bit wierd in times, i find it very difficult to do the "turbo slide" in mario kart on it... found that easier on my friends old ds. The Start/Select buttons do feel a bit flimsy, but the size doesn't bother me. And the GBA cart stick out issue isn't a problem for me as I just ordered (arriving Wednesday) the EZ4 Lite Micro SD... so it'll be nice and flush, and comes in all 3 colors (all 3 cases included). Great purchase... I'm so happy I made the decision.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
going to have to agree with Mad Boy, the lite is ugly.

and I must tack on that I feel that shrinking things that don't need to be shrunk is stupid. it's as if someone's trying to compensate for something by making other things smaller *sweat*
handhelds (aka "portable gaming devices") are meant to be as small as possible, just like handies...
the main reason why I don't play DS outside is because it's too big to carry in a pocket...
the DS lite is still a bit too big for my tastes, but it's sexy as hell, so I already pre-ordered one, got Brain Training for free with my order, good deal...I won't get the DS lite until friday, though...

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I found it impossible to bring DS lite outside. Usually it came to a toss between the ds, and having to carry all the bulk with it, games/ chunky case etc, or my mpp3 player.

When I get the Lite, that decision will be flipped on its head. Assuming its as small as I imagine, it will probably never leave my side.

As for the thumbstrap, I cant believe anyones actually used that. It just used to get in the way when playing, get in the way when putting it down to rest, and get in the way when putting the DS in its case. Plus, the thumbstrap was awful. More likely to scratch the screen than you finger.

I would consider (I know not to everyones view) the fact its being released in black, as a negative. Many people are going to buy it for the initial exclusivity and looks, but a few months down the line, may realise, its been released worldwide, and those fingerprint stains look damn bad.

Del_Griffiths

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like the shiny, smooth new exterior of the Lite for it's looks, but I hate it for it's texture and feel.

The fat DS had a subtle grain to it that was nice on the hands and let you really get a grip on it. The new lite is far too smooth and it gets a little slippery to handle at times. I dread what it's like to hold when the dog days of summer comes and my hands are a bit sweaty. That thing will be firing out of my hands like soap from a jailbirds.

And to be honest, while I like the Lites size, I never found anything wrong with the original DS' size. Big hands I guess...

Neil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My volume slider moves fine back and forth but the actual switch surface that you push to move it is a little loose and kind of rattles. It seems kinda cheap.
frown.gif

superprincesspea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are a few nitpicks, but the brighter, stunning screens make me forget about them most of the time. Games look totally different - colors I had never seen before, like the yellow/gold chains that hold the lamps up the Haunted Mansion part of Mario Kart. The backgrounds of some games which I hadn't even noticed before because they were so muddy jump out like I've never seen them before.

That said :

1) I prefer a power button that clicks or is switched, not a slider; I see no need for it, and it feels like it may wear out.

2) The start/select buttons were better where they were; you could hit it quickly in a game (say, Mario Kart) to pause without screwing your game up, now it takes that extra split second to hit the button and I can never remember which one is which.

3) The volume is much lower than on the DS Phat. The speakers are nice and clear, just sounds about 1/2 as loud as the other model. No issues with the slider or anything, it just is terribly quiet when compared. I'm sure this was to reduce annoyance to other people, but when I'm playing my DS in my house alone I want it LOUD.

Other than that, I love all the changes. I like the d-pad now, makes turbo-boosing in Mario Kart and other moves that require d-pad dexterity easier. The shoulder buttons are more friendly.

The fingerprint thing is an issue, but the Polar Whites are the best in terms of hiding them. I was dead jealous about the Black DS Lites until I got my hands on one of the navy blue Japan releases, and I'm glad we got the white in the U.S. I'd be wiping fingerprints all day off of the black, but they only show up to the eye in most lights on the Polar White when they are really bad.

Best upgrade I ever made, and the only regret I have is that the original DS had such muddy, dull screens that I played on for so long.

SPP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==