Confused with flashcarts

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 89turbocs, May 18, 2016.

1. 89turbocs
    OP

89turbocs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2010
    Canada
    I've been doing a lot of reading on the ds two+ recently and am getting more confused rather than less in regards to what would be ideal for what I hope to use my n3dsxl for. Hopefully you guys and gals with more knowledge can point me straight and tell me what I should buy (or if there is a free solution)

1)My main goal is to play ds games (I believe the only way to do this is with a flash cart? )
    2) a close second requirement is snes/nes emulation
    3) 3ds backups would be nice but not a deal breaker

I'm on fw 10+ and I own ocarina of time. I know there are ways to downgrade and install custom firmware to play snes/nes. Is there an advantage to using a flash cart to emulate snes/nes or is it better to downgrade?
    Is there anyway to play ds games without a flash cart?

What should I buy/do???

Thanks

2. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    In my opinion DStwo is redundant when used on 3DS. The main reason for its popularity was to play GBA/SNES on DSi but 3DS can do it better. It will just eat your battery thanks to the onboard processor.

I would look at the R4i Gold (r4ids.cn). Very high compatibility and the menu is fast. If you want to save a few bucks you can get a r4isdhc.com card, but they run a clunky menu. You can put another menu/kernel on it but the compatibility will be less perfect.

And there's not much reason at all to get a 3DS mode flashcard like Sky or Gateway thanks to CFW.

EDIT: Nes emu will run fine on any ds flashcart. I don't believe you even need to downgrade to run SNES emu from 3DS mode.

Having a ds flashcart will also give you a way to install oot3dhax without the need for powersaves as long as you have a phat ds or lite.

Last edited by Sleet, May 18, 2016
  3. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    I concur with post #2. And you haven't read enough, might want to email dstwo+ team to see if they have updated there GW mode to run the on the latest emunand firmware.

4. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Using the GW mode on a Dstwo+ risks bricking your device so I would not recommend to use that.

I suggest to Op: downgrade to set up CFW and play 3ds games, use VC injection to play some other games, use the homebrew emulator for your other needs and then spend like $10 for a Ds flashcard. This way you're spending less money with more compatibility!

5. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Use a cfw with a9lh like luma3ds to run 3ds SNES nes GB GBC and gba games(as well as dsiware etc) and use a ds flashcard like a r4i gold sdhc 201x with ysmenu.
    Its not risky at all having a cfw or downgrading if you follow a good guide such as plailect's