Hacking Confused Dad needs Help!!!

fargo5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, first post...
I need to buy Flashcarts for NDS for my two boys.

I have done a lot of homework and was about to purchase a R4 or M3, but now Im reading up on CycloDS or DSTT, AceKard etc...
This is where Im confused as there is so much 'similar info' to take in... I see that some are revisions of earlier carts..

I would like the card to:
• 2GB+ to store/play DS and GBA backup ROMs plus other Music ebook etc.
• Ease of Use.
• Action Replay style cheats or Cheating option.
• Up to Date developments of the firmware and regular UI enhancements, updates and Homebrew old ROMs if possible.
• Will have some good longevity, not dropped from development soon...
• Aesthetically well built, doesnt stick out of the NDS or look awkward.
• We also have a Wii with Wiikey IF that makes any difference to anything!!

SORRY for so many questions and SORRY if this is possibly the 1000th thread to ask these newbie questions...

Basically, if you had the money/choice which card would you go for?

Many, many thanks for any help...really appreciated.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The CycloDS Evolution is a good choice ... supports SDHC up to 32GB, has cheat functionality, is simple to use, isn't too expensive, and is generally a good cart.

Your Wii and it's chip make no difference ... by the way.

Oh, and if you are set on playing GBA roms, you will need a Slot-2 device to go with it, as no Slot-1 device can play GBA roms.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me like the CycloDS might be overkill for your needs since it's more expensive than other carts and has some options you probably won't use. The Acekard 2, DSTT, or maybe Edge might be cheaper choices that will do everything you want them to do.

You might be able to rule out the Edge which doesn't currently allow you to update cheats yourself (it uses a proprietary format rather than one of the standard formats). However, the developers put out updated cheat databases, and also the developers are working on a cheat editor for that cart that would allow you to add your own.

DSTT's occasionally have contact problems, so if you go with that one I'd have the seller pop it into a Nintendo DS before sending it out to you just to make sure it works properly, and also make sure you can exchange it if there's a problem.

-Bri

fargo5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
Oh, and if you are set on playing GBA roms, you will need a Slot-2 device to go with it, as no Slot-1 device can play GBA roms.

Okay, a slot-2 device..?? could you explain please, cheers.

Thanks for replies..

EDIT - okay looked them up.... so would I need one of these as well and if so whats a good one to use?

Again, many thanks..

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Basically, it a cart that goes in the GBA slot (Slot-2) of a DS.

There are many different ones, as they were around before the Slot-1 devices, really.

You can get simple ones, that just boot up GBA games ... along with the games for other old systems ... or, you can get all-in-one devices, that have extra RAM (for the web browser, and some homebrew)and a rumble feature, as well.

There really is a wide selection of these, and I recommend some research on your part to decide which one, if any, of them are best for your needs/technical ability.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The "eWin 2in1" and the "EZ 3in1" are two popular slot2 GBA carts that can play GBA games and the Opera browser and work with most slot1 flash carts if you use a loader program called GBA ExpLoader. GBA ExpLoader supports several different slot2 GBA carts. You would launch GBA ExpLoader like any other .nds file and then it would give you a list of GBA games that are stored on your slot1 cart and allow you to play them by loading them onto the slot2 GBA cart.

Some slot1 carts have support for specific slot2 carts which allows them to run GBA games or the browser without having to use a loader program (saves you an extra step). Therefore, the slot2 cart you get might depend on what slot1 cart you decide on.

-Bri

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
The slot 2 cards available right now look awkward compared to the filler cart as they aren't glossy.
Simple solution: just replace empty slot-2 filler PCB with flash card guts.
wacko.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know why you all forget completely of the SuperCard DS One, always talking about "TEH UBERZORZ PAWAR CycloDS Evo"
wink.gif

It does everything the OP requested and costs a LOT less than the CycloDS Evo (and SCDS One does EVERYTHING and more that the CycloDS Evo does... but a lot of people seem to forget this).

As for the Slot-2, I think everyone already answered you pretty well
smile.gif

preelude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
supercard ds one does almost everything that the cycloDS can do but is MUCH cheaper ($35 vs $60 USD)

both of them have more features than every other flashcart available.

either one would be a good choice depending on your budget

if you are looking for a flashcart with a pretty menu and don't mind losing some features, the acekard 2 would also be a good choice ($33)

fargo5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Warren_303 said:
I'm suprised no one mentioned the M3 Real bundle. This includes the Rumble pack and the GBA expansion for $60.
http://www.echostore.com/m3ds-real.html
http://tinyurl.com/2mhbhq

I would buy the 2 or 4GB SD cards elsewhere like amazon. Kingston and A-data are good brands.

This should be everything you need.

Well, this is what I was first recommended.... but then started reading up on everything else and got blinded by different/newer types..!!

Question on the M3 - Are the cheats available..? Is it still being developed, I would'nt want to buy cards that are superseded.

mister x

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
from one Dad to another(also 2 boys), i would go Supercard One....easypeesie to use, good support\updates etc, and good price...
we have had NO problems with them .......
good luck!!

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do agree with you guys, the Supercard DS one is good but he was looking for GBA playing cabability.
The supercard is very easy to setup and user friendly. My first cart was the Supercard.

The "M3 Real" is the newest M3 card on the market and you can add cheats to any game.

The reason I recommend the M3 over the Supercard is because alot of people I recommend them to get the PSRAM error which is not fixable and they need to send it back for a new one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi