Confused Dad needs Help!!!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fargo5, Mar 30, 2008.

Mar 30, 2008

Confused Dad needs Help!!! by fargo5 at 4:22 PM (2,285 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. fargo5
    OP

Newcomer fargo5 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi, first post...
    I need to buy Flashcarts for NDS for my two boys.

I have done a lot of homework and was about to purchase a R4 or M3, but now Im reading up on CycloDS or DSTT, AceKard etc...
    This is where Im confused as there is so much 'similar info' to take in... I see that some are revisions of earlier carts..

I would like the card to:
    • 2GB+ to store/play DS and GBA backup ROMs plus other Music ebook etc.
    • Ease of Use.
    • Action Replay style cheats or Cheating option.
    • Up to Date developments of the firmware and regular UI enhancements, updates and Homebrew old ROMs if possible.
    • Will have some good longevity, not dropped from development soon...
    • Aesthetically well built, doesnt stick out of the NDS or look awkward.
    • We also have a Wii with Wiikey IF that makes any difference to anything!!

SORRY for so many questions and SORRY if this is possibly the 1000th thread to ask these newbie questions...

Basically, if you had the money/choice which card would you go for?

Many, many thanks for any help...really appreciated.

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    The CycloDS Evolution is a good choice ... supports SDHC up to 32GB, has cheat functionality, is simple to use, isn't too expensive, and is generally a good cart.

Your Wii and it's chip make no difference ... by the way.

Oh, and if you are set on playing GBA roms, you will need a Slot-2 device to go with it, as no Slot-1 device can play GBA roms.

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It sounds to me like the CycloDS might be overkill for your needs since it's more expensive than other carts and has some options you probably won't use. The Acekard 2, DSTT, or maybe Edge might be cheaper choices that will do everything you want them to do.

You might be able to rule out the Edge which doesn't currently allow you to update cheats yourself (it uses a proprietary format rather than one of the standard formats). However, the developers put out updated cheat databases, and also the developers are working on a cheat editor for that cart that would allow you to add your own.

DSTT's occasionally have contact problems, so if you go with that one I'd have the seller pop it into a Nintendo DS before sending it out to you just to make sure it works properly, and also make sure you can exchange it if there's a problem.

-Bri

4. fargo5
    OP

Newcomer fargo5 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Okay, a slot-2 device..?? could you explain please, cheers.

Thanks for replies..

EDIT - okay looked them up.... so would I need one of these as well and if so whats a good one to use?

Again, many thanks..

5. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Basically, it a cart that goes in the GBA slot (Slot-2) of a DS.

There are many different ones, as they were around before the Slot-1 devices, really.

You can get simple ones, that just boot up GBA games ... along with the games for other old systems ... or, you can get all-in-one devices, that have extra RAM (for the web browser, and some homebrew)and a rumble feature, as well.

There really is a wide selection of these, and I recommend some research on your part to decide which one, if any, of them are best for your needs/technical ability.

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The "eWin 2in1" and the "EZ 3in1" are two popular slot2 GBA carts that can play GBA games and the Opera browser and work with most slot1 flash carts if you use a loader program called GBA ExpLoader. GBA ExpLoader supports several different slot2 GBA carts. You would launch GBA ExpLoader like any other .nds file and then it would give you a list of GBA games that are stored on your slot1 cart and allow you to play them by loading them onto the slot2 GBA cart.

Some slot1 carts have support for specific slot2 carts which allows them to run GBA games or the browser without having to use a loader program (saves you an extra step). Therefore, the slot2 cart you get might depend on what slot1 cart you decide on.

-Bri

7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The slot 2 cards available right now look awkward compared to the filler cart as they aren't glossy.

8. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Simple solution: just replace empty slot-2 filler PCB with flash card guts. [​IMG]

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I don't know why you all forget completely of the SuperCard DS One, always talking about "TEH UBERZORZ PAWAR CycloDS Evo" [​IMG]

It does everything the OP requested and costs a LOT less than the CycloDS Evo (and SCDS One does EVERYTHING and more that the CycloDS Evo does... but a lot of people seem to forget this).

As for the Slot-2, I think everyone already answered you pretty well [​IMG]

10. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    If you don't want to drop cash on the CycloDS Evolution, you could get the EDGE or Acekard 2.

11. preelude

Newcomer preelude Advanced Member

Canada
    supercard ds one does almost everything that the cycloDS can do but is MUCH cheaper ($35 vs $60 USD)

both of them have more features than every other flashcart available.

either one would be a good choice depending on your budget

if you are looking for a flashcart with a pretty menu and don't mind losing some features, the acekard 2 would also be a good choice ($33)

12. drock360

Member drock360 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get the R4 Revolution. It is awesome.

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Get a Honda Civic, It's WAAAAY better than a BMW or Mercedes.

14. Seina

Newcomer Seina Advanced Member

United States
    Get the DS-Xtreme or the N5. Both of those totally rock. You'll love them!

15. drock360

Member drock360 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey stop hatin on the R4. Its awesome!

16. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    fix'd

17. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
  18. fargo5
    OP

Newcomer fargo5 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Well, this is what I was first recommended.... but then started reading up on everything else and got blinded by different/newer types..!!

Question on the M3 - Are the cheats available..? Is it still being developed, I would'nt want to buy cards that are superseded.

19. mister x

Newcomer mister x Member

Australia
    from one Dad to another(also 2 boys), i would go Supercard One....easypeesie to use, good support\updates etc, and good price...
    we have had NO problems with them .......
    good luck!!

20. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I do agree with you guys, the Supercard DS one is good but he was looking for GBA playing cabability.
    The supercard is very easy to setup and user friendly. My first cart was the Supercard.

The "M3 Real" is the newest M3 card on the market and you can add cheats to any game.

The reason I recommend the M3 over the Supercard is because alot of people I recommend them to get the PSRAM error which is not fixable and they need to send it back for a new one.