Confused about which Micro SD card to get

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mikey89, Feb 18, 2012.

Feb 18, 2012
  1. mikey89
    OP

Newcomer mikey89 Advanced Member

United States
    So i just got my DSTwo it look awesome and super badass. Ive been reading about all the different Micro SD cards but hearing alot of mixed things. I would prefer a 32gb (why not get the biggest i can use i for multiple things) at least class 6 or 10 if it actaully works.
    Hears what i heard:
    -Kingston is good when they work but 16gb and above fail alot
    -a-data and transcends are really good
    -class 10 sometimes has problem/breaking (overclocking?) and not always compatible with everything
    -sandisk is average

what are all of your thoughts on this matter?

2. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I really don't see why you'd need so much space..
    Just curious, where'd you get your DSTwo, and how much did it cost? :P

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Get a Sandisk, Kingston or Toshiba. I don't see much point in getting a Class 10 card - a Class 4 (4 MB/s) should be sufficient and shouldn't cause any lags, however to be on the safe side, a Class 6-8 card should be affordable. I have a Toshiba Class 8 and a Sandisk Class 4, both working like a charm.

1 person likes this.
  4. Majorami

Banned Majorami Banned

United States
    A Kingston card of mine failed after a year.

Sandisk is the average at Class 2's and 4's available on the super-cheap.

32GB card is great for a PSP, but I'd hold off and get 16GB for NDS.

A really great brand to look into is AmazonBasics. They make the best Class 10 16GB MicroSD, which on-average gets 15MB/s transfer rates, which is 50% better than Class 10 promises.

I've recently signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime, so I've been trying out their AmazonBasics line of merchandise and I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm an A-Data, Amazon, and Sandisk user, and all 3 cards have not failed me. My Sandisk is as old as CycloDS was new, and its still working.
    A-Data was great for PSP games, but AmazonBasics gave me the same storage and 2x more speed at a cheaper price.

The only thing I own thats Transcend is a USB card reader. Can't comment on their SD cards.

For NDS, a 16GB card holds around 200 or more NDS games, give or take. I happen to have alot of 64-256MB games too.
    I now use an A-Data on my DSTwo, and noticed that some games create new game data much quicker than it did on a Class2. Personal Trainer which takes a minute+ to create new data, took the A-Data like 10 seconds.

I recommend getting Class 10 cards as they're semi-needed for HD phones, but the NDS/Flashcart performs comfortably at Class 4. PSP performs comfortably at Class 6.

I own 9 MicroSD cards (Most are 16GB), I personally favor my Amazon Basics that I use exclusively for PSP.

1 person likes this.
  5. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I can recommend the Transcend, i have never had a problem from these, i always ensure i purchase Transcend class 6

Edit: typo

1 person likes this.
  6. mikey89
    OP

United States
    I got my DSTwo from zhuzhuchina.com for two reason:
    -Great customer service and good group of people sounded like
    -only deal with originals and will refund if a fake.
    -con is that they take like 2-3 weeks to deliver

I think i have found the card i want and for a great price. My only concern before i order it is that some of the reviews say it broke after 4-8 months. Is that just how micro SD cards are or is that a compatibility issue with there device?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208475

7. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    The adapters seem to break pretty easily, but I don't know whether it's that or the MSD itself that they're talking about.

8. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    mikey, i have lost count on how many Transcends i have purchased for myself, family and friends and i haven't had or heard of one of these breaking/malfunctioning.

1 person likes this.
  9. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    I have personal experience with Adata, Transcend and Kingston. Never had a problem with any of them just be sure to get class 4 or higher.

10. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I've had good luck with PNY. They're cheap and readily available at wal-mart too.

As previously stated,Transcend is excellent as well.

11. mikey89
    OP

United States
    I decided to get transcend. here the one i ordered http://www.amazon.co..._ecc_rvi_cart_1
    Thx for all the help guys. I report back with if it works and how well.

P.S. Decided just to pay the extra 5 dollar for class 10 cause by the time i was ready to order from newegg the deal stopped and the price rose up from 15$ to 20$

12. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i can't speak highly enough about the transcend cards. i've abused the crap out of my main 8gb class-6. i did a few complete emulator compatibility lists using it. i've beta tested probably somewhere around 1,000 files on it. works like a champ! i wouldn't buy anything else for my flash kits.

-another world

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Agree with AW, Transcend for me often, but I've been a sandisk fanboy for a while.