Hacking confused about DIOS MIOS and wiiflow

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, so you may have seen my older thread about getting DIOS MIOS working. But I do have it working now.

Now my only problem is is trying to figure out how to get my gamecube backups working off USB. I got wiiflow and found a install gamecube option. But it says there's not enough space? I am a little confused. Is it trying to install it to SD? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

I also have cleanrip as well. But it looks like wiiflow can install my games for me...but is there something I am missing? I need to somehow make it work off USB right?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, scratch that. I am using USB GX loader instead...

What do I need to get my gamecube backups working? it seems to see all my backup wii games in my WBFS folder. Do I somehow just need to dump an ISO in there?

Another problem I am getting is that whenever I try to load a game into USB loader, it says that there is not enough free space? why? I swear I have it set to my USB drive?....

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bump. can someone help me please?
I also split the partition and made a new one, like in the guide I read. But it still says something about the SD card, please help....

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, it needs to be in the games folder, not the WBFS folder
What either one, GX or WiiFlow rips to the hard drive, the other one will be able to use just fine as well
You can tell WiiFlow to show the games in any partition or on the SD card even if it can't play the games from there (I think it automatically rips them to the place it's told to show)
to change where WiiFlow is showing
1. go to the DML view (gamecube icon near the corner or hit the B button and select gamecube from the source menu.)
2. hit the settings button (gear icon near the other corner)
3. There should be a "partition" option (first page of settings IIRC) change it to USB1
4. Hit the "install" button (also somewhere in the settings IIRC) and it should work.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, it needs to be in the games folder, not the WBFS folder
What either one, GX or WiiFlow rips to the hard drive, the other one will be able to use just fine as well
You can tell WiiFlow to show the games in any partition or on the SD card even if it can't play the games from there (I think it automatically rips them to the place it's told to show)
to change where WiiFlow is showing
1. go to the DML view (gamecube icon near the corner or hit the B button and select gamecube from the source menu.)
2. hit the settings button (gear icon near the other corner)
3. There should be a "partition" option (first page of settings IIRC) change it to USB1
4. Hit the "install" button (also somewhere in the settings IIRC) and it should work.

Hey thanks, but I am using USB loader GX now instead. Thing is. I read I need to partition part of my HDD(which I did) then make it cluster size 32KB(which I did) make it fat32(made it exfat, which is apparantly the same thing) now I just need to make that part of the partition primary and active. But that's what I am having difficulty with now.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hey thanks, but I am using USB loader GX now instead. Thing is. I read I need to partition part of my HDD(which I did) then make it cluster size 32KB(which I did) make it fat32(made it exfat, which is apparantly the same thing) now I just need to make that part of the partition primary and active. But that's what I am having difficulty with now.
Actually, exFAT is not the same thing as FAT32. It's closer to something like FAT64. On Windows, you won't be able to format anything over 32gb as FAT32 using the normal methods. You can do it with a program like this
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
The rest is right. It doesn't NEED to be a separate partition from what you're using for Wii games but it will work that way as long as the GameCube games are on the FIRST partition (USB1 in Wii terms.)

In GX the setting is near the bottom in the custom path settings. There are two paths for gamecube games. One won't let you change it to USB ... the other one will. Change the one that will let you do USB1.

I think GX will automatically ask you what you want to do with a disk as soon as you put it in. You'd only have to hit "install" (or whatever it says) and it will do it for you.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, exFAT is not the same thing as FAT32. It's closer to something like FAT64. On Windows, you won't be able to format anything over 32gb as FAT32 using the normal methods. You can do it with a program like this
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
The rest is right. It doesn't NEED to be a separate partition from what you're using for Wii games but it will work that way as long as the GameCube games are on the FIRST partition (USB1 in Wii terms.)

In GX the setting is near the bottom in the custom path settings. There are two paths for gamecube games. One won't let you change it to USB ... the other one will. Change the one that will let you do USB1.

I think GX will automatically ask you what you want to do with a disk as soon as you put it in. You'd only have to hit "install" (or whatever it says) and it will do it for you.

thanks, so this program can make that partition FAT32? and can it make it primary as well? because I can't seem to make it primary.

Also, in this program you sent. Do I assume the one that says 32768 is the 32KB cluster size I need?

Hang on, I will make a quick video and show you what my issue is.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

here, I made a video. Now you guys can actually see my problem haha.

Does the gamecube partition on my external need to be set to primary?

UPDATE: I got it to work now. But I can't seem to go discless? I put my retail disc in, and I think i can hear the drive working. I really need to figure out how to go discless. Because I don't want to wear my wii drive out. Am I doing something wrong? what version of USB loader GX do I need?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Bb457110.f12zs01_big(l=en-us).jpg

as far as making the partition primary, "primary" is a type of partition, not something you set it to (you might be getting mixed up with "active" which IS something you set. The primary partitions are the blue ones above.

Yes, 32768 is 32KB

The version of GX you need for USB gamecube is one of the latest betas. v3.0 is the last official release and it was before USB GC was even possible.
here's r1203 : http://www.mediafire.com/?5qxw72i94w2jf2x

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bb457110.f12zs01_big(l=en-us).jpg

as far as making the partition primary, "primary" is a type of partition, not something you set it to (you might be getting mixed up with "active" which IS something you set. The primary partitions are the blue ones above.

Yes, 32768 is 32KB

The version of GX you need for USB gamecube is one of the latest betas. v3.0 is the last official release and it was before USB GC was even possible.
here's r1203 : http://www.mediafire.com/?5qxw72i94w2jf2x

Yeah, I am using 1203, thank you.

My issue now is DIOS MIOS keeps giving me an appload error. I want to go discless. But it won't let me, in this case animal crossing. It will work with the game in the drive, but my wii drive is old and I don't want to be using it. It keeps saying something about apploader.

So what now?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Based on your video, if it asks you to copy the game to SD, it's because you are using DIOS MIOS Lite (SD only) instead of DIOS MIOS (USB only)

Go to USBLoader GX > Settings > Last Page > Credit
Look at the top which from DIOS MIOS or Lite you have currently installed.

You need to use a Wad Manager to change the installed MIOS.
Do not uninstall the previous one, just install DIOS MIOS wad file and it will replace the old one (you can only have one MIOS at a time, so it's automatically replaced).

Based on the video too, you are not using r1203, but v3.0 r1180.
There are missing settings on your video.
Current beta is r1204.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, can you please read my later posts....
I am using r1204(I got 3 folders? I just used the 249 one)
I am using dios mios 2.0. Gonna try 2.5
look, I made another video:

also, the files you sent. there was an ELF file...I just went to the 249 one and moved the boot.dol...

EDIT: looks like I am using dios mios 2.5+, and my IOS is 249. still getting the apploader error. I read on wiihacks that it may be an issue with the 32KB cluster. But pretty sure I changed that...from the program maxternal gave me.

It also looks like I need to make the gamecube partition of my hard drive primary, but W7 won't give me that option :(

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
sigh... every noob swears they follow instructions precisely, yet:

Maxternal said:
It doesn't NEED to be a separate partition from what you're using for Wii games but it will work that way as long as the GameCube games are on the FIRST partition (USB1 in Wii terms.)

You never confirmed that your GC games are actually located in the first partition of your hdd and from the video, you are using USB2 not USB1

I haven't used DM/DML for a long time so I am not sure if it works under USB2. But in general, USB2 could be problematic and you should now be in "follow instruction mode" not "adventure mode"

Maxternal said:
kbf said:
It also looks like I need to make the gamecube partition of my hard drive primary, but W7 won't give me that option :(.

You don't "make" a partition primary, you create it. i.e Format your hdd, create a primary partition, not extended partition.
I am not sure if there was a program that can convert between partition types - I never have to do that.

If your partition is not primary, then no point trying to run DM, you are just wasting your time.

kbf said:
also, the files you sent. there was an ELF file...I just went to the 249 one and moved the boot.dol...

Cyan knows USBLoader GX, if he said you are using r1180 then you are using r1180 period.

Where did you moved the boot.dol? SD\apps\usbloader_gx? are you sure you are not running apps off USB or vice versa?
Are you sure you don't have more than one copy of usbloader_gx under x:\apps and you are running the correct copy?
Anyway, you can check your running version from the credit menu.

kbf said:
looks like I am using dios mios 2.5+, and my IOS is 249. still getting the apploader error. I read on wiihacks that it may be an issue with the 32KB cluster. But pretty sure I changed that...from the program maxternal gave me.

Don't say looks like; be precise. Cyan already told you how to check your version.
and lets start from the official FAQ
https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/w/list

Just my 2 cents.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
His second video is now r120x (the first one was still v3.0).
Your problem is the "USB2", you need to use the first partition of the drive (which is "USB1").

DIOS MIOS doesn't have the partition information in the path.
When the loader launch the game, it tell DIOS MIOS to boot "/games/anima crossing/game.iso" and not "USB2:/games/animal crossing/games.iso"
so, DIOS MIOS mount the first partition and doesn't find the file, because you put it in another partition, that why you have the error in DIOS MIOS, it didn't find the app loader.

PS:
"Align 32k" is usually not needed.
It's only used to speed the loading time of GameCube Games on some partition with cluster size different than 32k, but first try without that setting when dumping the iso.
If it works without alignement, then try with alignement and see if it still work and if it's loading faster. if not, there's no real usefulness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.