Confirmed: Ghostbusters timed PS3 exclusive

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by twisteddeeds, May 6, 2009.

1. twisteddeeds
    OP

Member twisteddeeds GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Confirmed: Ghostbusters timed PlayStation exclusive after Sony deal

Sony Computer Entertainment today signed a deal with Atari to publish Terminal Reality's Ghostbusters, making the game a PlayStation (at least timed) exclusive.

In a surprise turn of events, Sony has signed a deal with Atari to publish Ghostbusters, just one month before its release.

The game is set to release alongside the Sony Pictures Blu-ray of the original film, but now only for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2. The PSP version will follow a number of months later.

The game was originally in the works for Microsoft's Xbox 360, Nintendo's Wii and DS, and PCs, but it's now unclear what will happen to these versions. GamesIndustry.biz understands that Atari might publish them at some point in the future.

Ghostbusters was originally dropped by Vivendi Blizzard after their merger with Activision last year. Atari picked up the title, but the economic climate has seen the company continue to experience financial problems.

The fact that Ghostbusters is a Sony Pictures property, and Atari is now headed by previous Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison might have a cursory connection to the deal.

You can watch the video game's opening cinematic by following this link.

[UPDATE] - VideoGaming247 has gained comment from an Atari representative, who has stated that the game should release on non-PlayStation platforms later in the year, though there are no official dates.

source

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Fuck you Atari, come on the only none shit game in your line up and you make it a timed exclusive!

I wont buy this now, I'll pirate it.

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I'm not particularly interested in this game, but what a bitch of a thing to do to a developer. I wonder if Terminal Reality got any say whatsoever in this.

4. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Atari is evil [​IMG]

5. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    This sucks. At least its coming the the PS2 as well. (Oh wait, the PS2 is my only living console)

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    what does it mean by "timed exclusive"?

7. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Its only exclusive for a limited amount of time, like Resident Evil 4 was for the Gamecube.

8. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Oh, I thought all they did was downscale the graphics a bunch from the PS3 version. Dog Gammit Atari D:

9. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    ahh ok. though i think its a given that nowadays, nothing really is exclusive anymore.

10. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Atari [​IMG] [​IMG]

Such a shame really

11. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    This might be PAL only:

http://kotaku.com/5242274/so-there-is-a-gh...ers-for-the-psp

Really do hope that Atari release PC/Wii/360 versions next month as was planned before. Waited enough time for this. [​IMG]

12. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Seriously fuck Atari and $ony even more.
    I bet this game will anyway have many bugs on PS3 like always [​IMG]

13. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    This is PAL only.
    But this is still a dick move...

14. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
  15. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    I hate exclusives [​IMG]

I think it's a form of console wars between publishers/console makers.

I detested Ubisoft's decision to 'deny' PC gamers The Epilogue DLC (Prince Of Persia) when the main game was released for PC.

I also deplore the decision that the DLC for Tomb Raider: Underworld was released exclusively for the Xbox360.

I don't know what they are trying to prove by releasing content on a 'favoured' platform, but I find it absolutely disgraceful, and this practice needs to be halted, because it's unfair on gamers who play on their preferred console.

Is this the future? If so I don't want to be part of it anymore. (I think 26 years of gaming is long enough).

[​IMG]

16. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Agreed. I mean even now DEMOS are being made exclusive, it's completely out of hand. As much as I'm not a fan of the Playstation 3 or Sony in general lately (With acts like this you question me why?) when I read about GTA and Fallout DLC being 360 only...I just pretty much kept asking myself "Why." There are still plenty of people that own the games on those systems, why screw them over. Console exclusivity is where it should stay...

17. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Although when you think about it logically.... if SONY are putting up a huge chunk of the funding and own the rights to the movies why else would they have it as an EXCLUSIVE albeit timed release for their own next gen console!

They will need to recoup their expenses quickly as possible [​IMG]

18. ToneEQ

Member ToneEQ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Conflict of interest? Could it be referred to the Competition Commission or the U.S. equivalant?

19. Lyuse

Lyuse Newbie

Atari is not making this a timed exclusive they have been in great financial problems lately so Sony is helping them out by publishing the games for their own console also as I recall Sony owns the whole Ghostbusters franchise so they have every right to do this.

20. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I think it would have been "OK", if they wouldn`t have announced a releasedate for all the other version... Come on, a month before the release they hold the game back. This is really not the most sympathetic move of both companies, especially because the Wii-version looks so damn good [​IMG] (I was really looking foward to this game [​IMG])

Oh hell, then I`ll just pirate the ntsc-version. So who really cares [​IMG]