Confirmed: Ghostbusters timed PS3 exclusive

twisteddeeds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ghostbusters_01_small.jpg

Confirmed: Ghostbusters timed PlayStation exclusive after Sony deal

Sony Computer Entertainment today signed a deal with Atari to publish Terminal Reality's Ghostbusters, making the game a PlayStation (at least timed) exclusive.

In a surprise turn of events, Sony has signed a deal with Atari to publish Ghostbusters, just one month before its release.

The game is set to release alongside the Sony Pictures Blu-ray of the original film, but now only for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2. The PSP version will follow a number of months later.

The game was originally in the works for Microsoft's Xbox 360, Nintendo's Wii and DS, and PCs, but it's now unclear what will happen to these versions. GamesIndustry.biz understands that Atari might publish them at some point in the future.

Ghostbusters was originally dropped by Vivendi Blizzard after their merger with Activision last year. Atari picked up the title, but the economic climate has seen the company continue to experience financial problems.

The fact that Ghostbusters is a Sony Pictures property, and Atari is now headed by previous Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison might have a cursory connection to the deal.

You can watch the video game's opening cinematic by following this link.

[UPDATE] - VideoGaming247 has gained comment from an Atari representative, who has stated that the game should release on non-PlayStation platforms later in the year, though there are no official dates.

source

Hadrian

Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck you Atari, come on the only none shit game in your line up and you make it a timed exclusive!

I wont buy this now, I'll pirate it.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pizzaroo said:
This sucks. At least its coming the the PS2 as well. (Oh wait, the PS2 is my only living console)
The PS2/PSP versions are apparently lower grade ports of the Wii version. Sounds like Red Fly are putting the least amount of effort into those games, probably had to do them just to get the contract.

QUOTE(da_head @ May 6 2009, 03:27 PM) what does it mean by "timed exclusive"?
Its only exclusive for a limited amount of time, like Resident Evil 4 was for the Gamecube.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be PAL only:

QUOTE said:
We contacted Sony Computer Entertainment America to inquire as to whether or not the PSP version would be releasing stateside as well, and were informaed that SCEA had no plans to publish Ghostbusters. Looks like the ball is still in Atari's court here in the states!

http://kotaku.com/5242274/so-there-is-a-gh...ers-for-the-psp

Really do hope that Atari release PC/Wii/360 versions next month as was planned before. Waited enough time for this.
tongue.gif

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate exclusives
mad.gif

I think it's a form of console wars between publishers/console makers.

I detested Ubisoft's decision to 'deny' PC gamers The Epilogue DLC (Prince Of Persia) when the main game was released for PC.

I also deplore the decision that the DLC for Tomb Raider: Underworld was released exclusively for the Xbox360.

I don't know what they are trying to prove by releasing content on a 'favoured' platform, but I find it absolutely disgraceful, and this practice needs to be halted, because it's unfair on gamers who play on their preferred console.

Is this the future? If so I don't want to be part of it anymore. (I think 26 years of gaming is long enough).

mad.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
I hate exclusives
mad.gif

I think it's a form of console wars between publishers/console makers.

I detested Ubisoft's decision to 'deny' PC gamers The Epilogue DLC (Prince Of Persia) when the main game was released for PC.

I also deplore the decision that the DLC for Tomb Raider: Underworld was released exclusively for the Xbox360.

I don't know what they are trying to prove by releasing content on a 'favoured' platform, but I find it absolutely disgraceful, and this practice needs to be halted, because it's unfair on gamers who play on their preferred console.

Is this the future? If so I don't want to be part of it anymore. (I think 26 years of gaming is long enough).

mad.gif
Agreed. I mean even now DEMOS are being made exclusive, it's completely out of hand. As much as I'm not a fan of the Playstation 3 or Sony in general lately (With acts like this you question me why?) when I read about GTA and Fallout DLC being 360 only...I just pretty much kept asking myself "Why." There are still plenty of people that own the games on those systems, why screw them over. Console exclusivity is where it should stay...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although when you think about it logically.... if SONY are putting up a huge chunk of the funding and own the rights to the movies why else would they have it as an EXCLUSIVE albeit timed release for their own next gen console!

They will need to recoup their expenses quickly as possible
smile.gif

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
twisteddeeds said:
The fact that Ghostbusters is a Sony Pictures property, and Atari is now headed by previous Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison might have a cursory connection to the deal.

Conflict of interest? Could it be referred to the Competition Commission or the U.S. equivalant?

L

Lyuse

Hadrian said:
Fuck you Atari, come on the only none shit game in your line up and you make it a timed exclusive!

Atari is not making this a timed exclusive they have been in great financial problems lately so Sony is helping them out by publishing the games for their own console also as I recall Sony owns the whole Ghostbusters franchise so they have every right to do this.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lyuse said:
Hadrian said:

Atari is not making this a timed exclusive they have been in great financial problems lately so Sony is helping them out by publishing the games for their own console also as I recall Sony owns the whole Ghostbusters franchise so they have every right to do this.
I think it would have been "OK", if they wouldn`t have announced a releasedate for all the other version... Come on, a month before the release they hold the game back. This is really not the most sympathetic move of both companies, especially because the Wii-version looks so damn good
frown.gif
(I was really looking foward to this game
frown.gif
)

Oh hell, then I`ll just pirate the ntsc-version. So who really cares
tongue.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://imgur.com/gallery/dQEad2A