Hacking Configurable USB Loader

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Dr Clipper, i dunno if this has been asked/covered yet, its a looong thread lol.

I am wondering if its a possibility to be able to see games from 2 partitions (WBFS, NTFS) all listed at once?
My WBFS got full right around the time the NTFS/FAT loader version was introduced, so instead of formatting and starting over, i just opted using my NTFS partition for games as well.

i know its easy enough to switch between partitions within the settings, but itd be cool be able to view all my games from both at one time=)

also, is there an option in cfg cofigurator to zoom the back cover more than the standard setting?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
VatoLoco said:
Dr Clipper, i dunno if this has been asked/covered yet, its a looong thread lol.

I am wondering if its a possibility to be able to see games from 2 partitions (WBFS, NTFS) all listed at once?
My WBFS got full right around the time the NTFS/FAT loader version was introduced, so instead of formatting and starting over, i just opted using my NTFS partition for games as well.

i know its easy enough to switch between partitions within the settings, but itd be cool be able to view all my games from both at one time=)

also, is there an option in cfg cofigurator to zoom the back cover more than the standard setting?
No, you can only view the contents of one partition at a time. It would also be quite tricky to make it do so, given the way the data is accessed by Cfg right now.

And no, you can't zoom the covers in the Configurator. Maybe I'll build something in so that you can double click to open in your favourite image app or something.

divx118

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
There is no way to do this at the current time. It will be considered for future releases.

Thanks for the quick answer. It would be a real nice feature to have.
smile.gif

Maurice
cool.gif

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Anyone manager to get green day rock band (NTSC) working on a JPN region Wii with CFG loader? I tried 2 JPN consoles both just hang after the health screen whereas it works fine on a US set..

Also tried enabling all options (country flag, video patch etc)...

Tobynator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I´ve an idea for a plugin in the cfg-loader....
Erveryone has asked how to run the game XYZ and wich configurations its needed.
Whats about a server based database, where the IDs of every game are saved, with the best configurations in each region?
I think it coul be possible, that every user can fill out some questions on the first startup of the cfg-loader. Questions about the region of the Wii and the base IOSs.
After that in the configuration menu for every game, the user can upload his own configurations or download them if there are saved on a server.
I think it could be possible and very helpfull, to stop asking, how to get a game running on its own Wii...

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tobynator said:
I´ve an idea for a plugin in the cfg-loader....
Erveryone has asked how to run the game XYZ and wich configurations its needed.
Whats about a server based database, where the IDs of every game are saved, with the best configurations in each region?
I think it coul be possible, that every user can fill out some questions on the first startup of the cfg-loader. Questions about the region of the Wii and the base IOSs.
After that in the configuration menu for every game, the user can upload his own configurations or download them if there are saved on a server.
I think it could be possible and very helpfull, to stop asking, how to get a game running on its own Wii...
A better way is to have CFG automatically compile a file that contains which base IOS a person used for a particular cIOS. For example the text file would have

Code:
cIOS222 = v5, 38
cIOS249 = v19, 57
cIOS223 = v4, 38+37[code]

(Or you could serialize the data). Use regex to separate the text then fetch data from the database and do some stuff with said data.
That's just the cIOS's. There's also the Alt DOL, and that patch thing for Prince of Persia and perhaps newer games.

It'll be a lot of unneeded work.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dr. Clipper said:
You can actually force 480p if you like, even if the game doesn't support it when played from the disc. To force 480p, set Video to Force NTSC and Video Patch to All.

The only non-480p game of mine this doesn't work on is Little King's Story.

Little King's Story worked in 480p without any modification for me, but I'm using an american NTSC version. Yours might be different. This feature of CFG is the best for me, and the main reason I switched over from GX. A few 480i only games resist (off the top of my head, namely Totally Spies, Toshinden (jap), and a couple more I don't recall right now) but the vast majority of 480i games convert right up to 480p with CFG, like all the Harvest Moon games, Kororinpa Marble Mania, Super Swing Golf 1, and many others.

Keep up the great work, Dr. Clipper (and oggzee)!
yaywii.gif

peppers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still run into an error with the cheat codes, with super smash brothers and rune factory when you download the cheats, and says something like, "error too many codes".

laifuthegreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ozgee, I have a request. OK, I don't have a USB external hard drive. However, Configurable USB Loader has many functions that disk loaders (I use neogamma, which I believe has the highest compatibility) do not, as well as fewer glitches and higher compatibility. Many times, certain games require different versions of CIOS 249 or require that another CIOS be used. (FE: MH3 requiring either Hermes Cios or Waninkoko's CIOSx rev 19 with IOS 37 as the base while HOTD Overkill needs Cios Rev 17 be used) Neither Neogamma nor any other disk loader can select the IOS number to be loaded. When using configurable USB Loader, one needs to have a usb to get past the startup of mounting usb device. So here are my 3 questions.
-When loading from disk, are the same features maintained
-Is there a trick I can use to pass the startup without a usb
-If not, could you include support for disk or SD loading without a USB in your next update
Please answer, this is killing me. Thanks in advance.

laifuthegreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
themuffin said:
Thanks for your help so far guys!

I think I might be wrong about something basic:

Can any Wii program access two usb drives at the same time? As in usb thumbdrive (for apps) and usb external harddrive (for backups)?

I don't see the point, unless you need every little bit of your external HDD for games, you can always just format it to fat32 and put both games and apps on it. Or, you could make a wbfs partition for games and a fat partition for apps.

Fire69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dr. Clipper said:
Fire69 said:
Ok, did some more testing.
Used Wii Backup Manager to format the stick to WBFS and put the same game back on it.

CFG booted just fine and I could play the game without any problems!
So the problem is not the compatibility of my usb-stick.

Apparently, CFG locks up on the FAT32-partition.

Any clues why this happens?
blink.gif

Try installing Hermes' IOS 222 v4 and trying the -222 version of the loader.

Ok, installed 222 v4, tried base 38 and base 38 merged 37 and used the -222-version.

Same thing.

This is what I get on the screen:
FAT32 mount: sd
CFG base: sd:/usb-loader
Loader Version: 57b7-222
IOS222 (Rev 4) [FRAG]
Base: IOS 38 mload v4

[+] Mounting device, please wait...
(30 seconds timeout)

OK!

And then it locks up, and the Wiilight starts blinking.
angry.gif

FAT32 mount, shouldn't that be 'usb' instead of 'sd', since it should read my usb-stick?
unsure.gif

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
laifuthegreat said:
When using configurable USB Loader, one needs to have a usb to get past the startup of mounting usb device. So here are my 3 questions.
-When loading from disk, are the same features maintained
-Is there a trick I can use to pass the startup without a usb
-If not, could you include support for disk or SD loading without a USB in your next update
Please answer, this is killing me. Thanks in advance.
You don't need a usb hdd, it can run entirely from SD, try this in config.txt:
device=sdhc
partition=fat1

peppers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
peppers said:
I still run into an error with the cheat codes, with super smash brothers and rune factory when you download the cheats, and says something like, "error too many codes".

sorry if I'm pushin too hard for an answer but, whats up with this particular issue?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
peppers said:

sorry if I'm pushin too hard for an answer but, whats up with this particular issue?
Cfg is not a very good cheat manager and we have no desire to change that when there are already much better apps out there for the job. For memory reasons, a limit has to be put on the number of codes that can be loaded from a .txt cheat file. Some games go past that limit and you will need to use a different code manager in order to create the .gct cheat file. If the cheat file is present, Cfg will load it and properly apply it. Thus, just use a dedicated cheat manager to create the .gct files for those games you can't use with Cfg. An added benefit is that you will also be able to apply the editable codes (marked with E and disabled in Cfg).

Fire69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Fire69 said:
Dr. Clipper said:
Try installing Hermes' IOS 222 v4 and trying the -222 version of the loader.

Ok, installed 222 v4, tried base 38 and base 38 merged 37 and used the -222-version.

Same thing.

[...]

And then it locks up, and the Wiilight starts blinking.
angry.gif

FAT32 mount, shouldn't that be 'usb' instead of 'sd', since it should read my usb-stick?
unsure.gif

Damn, used a disk instead of a stick, works like a charm!
grog.gif

So why the hell did my stick work with a wbfs-partition and not with a fat32-partition!?
Oh well, it's working great now!

Great software guys!!
smile.gif

soulsouw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, How are you?

"- install game on NTFS is disabled at the moment because of libntfs write instabilities (install on FAT works fine)"

Does usb loader contain libntfs? Or is this library belongs to "ios 222" or "cios 249"?

I ask that because I have an external HD, which is formated in NTFS, and cannot install any (backup) games!, however, I can load (backup) games.

Thanks.
Paul

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soulsouw said:
"- install game on NTFS is disabled at the moment because of libntfs write instabilities (install on FAT works fine)"

Does usb loader contain libntfs? Or is this library belongs to "ios 222" or "cios 249"?

Yes, the loader contains libntfs and yes installation is disabled.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
soulsouw said:
Hi all, How are you?

I ask that because I have an external HD, which is formated in NTFS, and cannot install any (backup) games!, however, I can load (backup) games.

Thanks.
Paul
I don't know what your question is exactly, it seems that you answered it yourself already. Yes, the Loader "contains" Libntfs (though you can't say it like that, it doesn't contain the whole lib, just some code), otherwise it wouldn't be able to read from an NTFS-Partition, and display the game. The cIOS doesn't do much, as far as I know (Doesn't the DIP needs to know where to start to read the image, or something like that? And isn't that handled by the FRAG-List? I dunno...). And you can't rip games from the Drive to the NTFS-Partition because Libntfs is to buggy with writing (corrupts the whole partition/game), and that's why it is disabled. And it probably will stay like that until the devs of Libntfs fixed this. So the problem is the Lib, not the loader or the cIOS.

This should cover it. Oh, and please use the Search, I've answered this several times already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Biker Mice from Mars needed a Sequel, Angry Hamsters from Uranus