antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about the wrong section (the Computer or BMTM section), so anyway, let's find out about the computers in popular culture (movie and TV shows).

In what I saw in a TV show or a movie, I saw computers made by Apple. So in most American TV shows and movies, Mac computers are the most mentioned computer (especially the 2000's and now), Windows computers are sometimes mentioned and Linux are always never mentioned I believed.

When you're watching a TV show or a Hollywood movie, you'll see Macs there, with Mac-based laptops on most movies. These Mac computers (including the recent MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac Pro) was important for a TV or movie production in the U.S., like the Final Cut Studio. Most people, who like to create special effects in Hollywood movies, creating the advertisement for bigger companies or creating a most successful song, need a Mac. That makes sense, right?

Here's my memory. When I watched 'YouTube Live' on my computer, Macs were mostly mentioned, with Windows computers sometimes mentioned. Tonight I watched 'Hope for Haiti' telethon (concert-like) and the MacBook Pro was only mentioned computer in that show, so Windows and Linux computers were never mentioned.

And now, it's up to you. What do you think that Macs are the most mentioned computer in American popular culture? Do you have any memories of an American TV show or movie saw Macs there?

Anyway, I think most people in the U.S. use Windows computers, and some people use Macs there. But the American popular culture seems the Windows computers could have more or less mentioned.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apple has more money to push their product forward to big producers and televion companies. I believe this is called sub-concious/subliminal messages. These don't always have to be just a flash, they can just be mentioned/seen in the show

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Apple needs to advertise, because they know they'd just die without hundreds of thousands of ads a day. Windows and Linux need no advertising in the mass media.
smileipb2.png

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shakraka said:
DURRR AMERICAN TV SHOWS THAT USE BIG WORDS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

IN REAL TIME
win.

QUOTE(Skyline969 @ Jan 23 2010, 01:43 PM) Apple needs to advertise, because they know they'd just die without hundreds of thousands of ads a day. Windows and Linux need no advertising in the mass media.
smileipb2.png
They win all the time.
smileipb2.png

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there's that whole thing with being rich = cool, macs = lots of $$$ therefore macs = cool. seriously you walk into a starbucks and what you'll mostly see for laptops are macbooks of sorts. they're insanely popular with college/uni students. not to mention osx is pretty hassle-free when compared to windows.

it'll be like this for fair while now, kinda like how ipods/iphones will probably be around forever.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Product placement is easier for Apple, since the aesthetics of their products are more easily recognized and thought of as "prettier" by the mass public.

Average Joe isn't going to be watching 30 Rock, and go "oh wow, a Vostro 15 how cool." They just see a black, generic-looking laptop.

Also as mentioned in the OP, FCP is the most-used editing software in Hollywood (iirc 50% marketshare in 2008), so in many cases the studios are provided with the hardware they need for editing in exchange for using the same products in the actual media as props.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
.Radiant said:
there's that whole thing with being rich = cool, macs = lots of $$$ therefore macs = cool. seriously you walk into a starbucks and what you'll mostly see for laptops are macbooks of sorts. they're insanely popular with college/uni students. not to mention osx is pretty hassle-free when compared to windows.

it'll be like this for fair while now, kinda like how ipods/iphones will probably be around forever.
You got a point. Mac OSX is idiot-proof. You can do whatever you want and not have to worry, essentially. With Windows, you have to actually know what you're doing. You can't randomly browse through shit and delete, or you will have problems. And you have to actually exercise some common sense on the internet... a website says they'll offer a free version of Norton Antivirus that's a 300 KB download? It's a virus. You don't have that problem on a mac.

I prefer PCs because I know what I'm doing, and I like to show that.
tongue.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the more realistic Windows machines I've seen in any media really, taken from S01 of Heroes:

vlcsnap-465497-1.png

One of the early characters can control wireless frequencies or something, but she doesn't exist physically, so his only way of talking with her is via IRC (unfortunately he didn't choose a good client, but being a fictional character I'll give him some slack).

Other items of note are the Winamp icon in the quicklaunch panel, a putty session of user account "postgres" (probably remoted into server running postegresql, this is strange because he also has a link on the desktop presumably for an Access server). Lastly, he's using Total Commander, but an old version from before it was renamed (from Windows Commander, in 2002).

D

Deleted User

Urza said:
One of the more realistic Windows machines I've seen in any media really, taken from S01 of Heroes:

vlcsnap-465497-1.png

One of the early characters can control wireless frequencies or something, but she doesn't exist physically, so his only way of talking with her is via IRC (unfortunately he didn't choose a good client, but being a fictional character I'll give him some slack).

Other items of note are the Winamp icon in the quicklaunch panel, a putty session of user account "postgres" (probably remoted into server running postegresql, this is strange because he also has a link on the desktop presumably for an Access server). Lastly, he's using Total Commander, but an old version from before it was renamed (from Windows Commander, in 2002).
I usually see the default Windows XP wallpaper with Internet Explorer running :/

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Mac is BASED upon Unix i heard. But no. It is not Linux. They are two entirely products. Plus one is free, the other isnt xP

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hatsu said:
hatredg0d said:
the funny part. the latest mac os uses a Linux kernel. i think mac just pays for hardcore advertising.
Do some research before posting complete utter bullshit like this. It runs off Unix. Way different to linux.
I always thought Linux was based of Unix
rolleyes.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
zeromac said:
Hatsu said:
hatredg0d said:
the funny part. the latest mac os uses a Linux kernel. i think mac just pays for hardcore advertising.
Do some research before posting complete utter bullshit like this. It runs off Unix. Way different to linux.
I always thought Linux was based of Unix
rolleyes.gif
it's not based off of it but the maker was previously using minix (a unix clone) and linux was -sort of- inspired by that...
it has been proven that none of unix's source is contained in linux and that linux is 100% original code
wink.gif

think of it as an homage to an homage of unix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now