Gaming Computer

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I am 16 (17 next month) and I am looking to get a new computer. We have 3 computers in our house and I am not allowed to use one of them because my parents say i was the reason there is virus's on it. The other computer is alright but its getting old and inst mine. The computer thats in my room is about 7 years old and its just plain crap. Out of nowhere, my dad suggested I get a new computer. I've asked him a million times if I could get my own but he always said no. So I'm pretty exited and I've always looked around but was never interested enough because I knew I couldn't get one. So my question is, what do I go with? Desktop or laptop? I was thinking about building my own desktop but then I remembered I don't know how to build computers and that I would probable fail. I seem to be leaning more towards the laptop because we used to have one and I like how portable they are. The thing is, is that desktops are much cheaper and more powerful and you can get a bigger screen and stuff. I dont like the shiny screens that pretty much every laptop has. I dont know why those are the standard screens now as they are practically like using a mirror for a screen. However I do need a laptop when I go college in a couple years. I'm not much of a PC gamer but I do occasionally like to play some games and none of my current computers can run games without lagging. I also like to import movies and I see a lot of laptops dont have firewire ports. I dont know if there is like an apapter or a USB fire wire but that is kind of important. Otherwise I really just want a speedy computer with good RAM. Dont need too much memory as I have a 500GB external HD. I dont think there's anything else besides games that I do that any PC couldn't handle. Its really just, Desktop or Laptop, and what is the best one for each of those if I were in a of $400-$700 range. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be aprreicated. Maybe what computer you have and what you like about it.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Just build your own computer. I'll help you with stuff when ever you need to ask some questions on terminology and stuff thats confusing for a first time builder. Building a PC is one of those things that seems hard but when you do it, you wonder why you were scared before!
smile.gif

I built my current machine for 2 years ago on a $550 budget and it still runs like a champ. It plays PC games fine (or, at settings I don't mind playing at.), runs fast (though, I use my own custom "VLited" Vista Ultimate x32 install), and best of all I can do whatever I need to on it!

Personally, I'd go with the Desktop as I don't need portability and I like a monster rig. Also, I love to play PC games and hate settling for so-so graphics on a 360 and such.

Regarding your wanted features: "importing movies" as in ripping DVD's or Adobe Premiere sort of thing (direct capture)?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean importing with a video camera. And I actually think I am going ot be getting a laptop because I want the portability but still not 100% sure

Tozarian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I always laugh when I hear about kids, parents and viruses. Parents think it is such a bad thing, and they often go and buy a new computer. And the worst part is, it is always the kids fault, even though he can probably use the computer better than his parents!

Anyways,

I would recommend building your own computer, it is a great experience and is reward also!

What kind games do you play? Is gaming essential?

Also, I know this is going to be asked but, is windows really necessary? Try considering a linux distro, it can do everything windows can do (except run games designed for windows)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming is not essential, but i would like to play once in a while. I really dont play the new games though. Just things like san andreas and halo. Also, say I order all of those things on newegg. How do I know where they go and is that all I would need to complete the computer? How good of a comp would it be? I just dont know these sorts of things. Also, if someone would point me too a good laptop for the price that would be nice.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
CheatingSoi said:
Gaming is not essential, but i would like to play once in a while. I really dont play the new games though. Just things like san andreas and halo. Also, say I order all of those things on newegg. How do I know where they go and is that all I would need to complete the computer? How good of a comp would it be? I just dont know these sorts of things. Also, if someone would point me too a good laptop for the price that would be nice.
That computer I just showed you could play those games on max most likely. Read the review here. Also, the computer I showed you is great for now, but you won't be able to upgrade it easily. Some people mind that, and some don't.

Building a computer is really easy I hear. The only "hard" part is putting the heatsink on the CPU. Guess you could use the manual. I'm in the middle of building my computer and so far I haven't had a hard time with anything yet.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I built this barebone system last week (which seems to be unavailable now) and it costed me $710 CDN (tax+shipping included). Very satisfied with it.

It's a Quad-Core Phenom 2.2 Ghz
750 GB S-ATA HDD 7200rpm
8 GB Corsair DDR2-800Mhz (4x2 GB)
Asus M3N78 Pro Motherboard (Integrated GeForce 8300)
Ultra Gladiator Mid-Tower
650W PSU

It's not really difficult to build a computer. If you can get a fairly good priced barebone system on a website such as Tiger Direct, you can avoid the hassle of making sure the pieces are compatible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GojQTu7iI