Gaming Computer Virus - Cannot Open Programs!

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok so on my XP I have this virus that prevents me from opening any programs and fake windows protection programs keep popping up saying I have a virus and need to buy the software blah blah blah. There fake so I just keep closing them. But when ever I try to open my real virus program, or any other program, it asks me how I want to open it the file. It shows a list of programs I have but when I select one and hit ok the thing just freezes. I really can't do anything at this point and need some help. Thanks.

UPDATE:

Ok I can go on Google Chrome and now when I try opening a program it says:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I tried reinstalling it but I get the same message...

D

Deleted User

Did you try booting windows in safe mode? Or you can try to boot with a linux live cd, which includes a virus scanner.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Did you try booting windows in safe mode? Or you can try to boot with a linux live cd, which includes a virus scanner.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes I tried safe mode and the same thing happens. Its weird because the only program I can open is Google Chrome.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aah, damn, my GF had this one before..

I'd say, plug you HDD in another computer and pray it doesnt infect that one, backup your files, and reinstall windows. That's what I did.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok good news I found a folder in C:\Program Files called "Protection System". I think thats the source of the virus but I can't delete it because there is a .dll file in the folder that I can't delete because its running. How do I terminate it?

D

Deleted User

That really is weird! You can also try downloading this rescue system by Avira and booting your computer with it. Of course, this'll only work if you have another computer to burn it to a cd, but since you're posting here I just assume you have access to one.

edit: You can also try to use Safe mode with a command prompt only, to delete the folder.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
That really is weird! You can also try downloading this rescue system by Avira and booting your computer with it. Of course, this'll only work if you have another computer to burn it to a cd, but since you're posting here I just assume you have access to one.

edit: You can also try to use Safe mode with a command prompt only, to delete the folder.

Well I am posting this on the infected computer but I do have an extra one I can burn so Ill look into that link. Google Chrome IS THE ONLY program I can run. No cmd, no msconfig, nothing. I am really on my last stand here.

Shoot I just remembered my disc drive doesn't work and my new one is still in the mail. I can't even run system restore I am screwed...

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:

What do I type in to delete it? This is the Directory:

CODEC:\Program Files\Protection System

D

Deleted User

Type:
Code:
del "C:\Program Files\Protection System\*.*"
rmdir "C:\Program Files\Protection System"

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Type:
Code:
del "C:\Program Files\Protection System\*.*"
rmdir "C:\Program Files\Protection System"

Ok tried that and I still get this error message when trying to open .exe:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I think the virus is gone and it did permanent damage to my PC.

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Now when I boot up my pc no applications load, there are no icons, and there inst a taskbar. Also there is no explore.exe in the process tab in Windows Task Manager. I cant open folders in both normal mode and safe mode.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The program Hijackthis has a function to delete a file on system boot.
You can try that
wink.gif

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Zenith94 said:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I installed the EXE File Association Fix from the link above and I can open exe programs again! Except for 2, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and AVG Free, the only virus programs I have. Any suggestions on others?

What you need to do is rename the malwarebytes exe to something else first e.g. mbcheck.exe - it should then run and clean it for you.

Quick-zeno

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zenith94 said:
Now when I boot up my pc no applications load, there are no icons, and there inst a taskbar. Also there is no explore.exe in the process tab in Windows Task Manager. I cant open folders in both normal mode and safe mode.

Click on new task, then type "explorer.exe" and it should run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl +1