Hardware Computer Hardware Advice. To switch platforms or not?

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
So I guess it's my time to ask for a second opinion.

Here are my current specs that matter: Intel Core i3 6100, 8GB DDR4 2400, Gigabyte Z170 K3, GTX1050Ti, 650W PSU, CM Hyper 212 Evo.

Built this pc in 2016, intending to upgrade to an unlocked 6th/7th gen i5/i7 with possibly a GTX1070 and an extra 8gig ram stick. Never got around to do the upgrade, partially because I didn't have the funds and partially to see what Intel does with the 8th gen cpus.

Due to Ryzen launching in 2017, Intel scrambles to make the 8th gen more competitive, leaving the Z170 and the LGA1151 socket behind (even though they're the same socket design). Faaak.

Anyway, does it make sense to stay on my current platform? Used skylake+ i7s are still 250+ usd used. Considering that, does it make sense to part out my current build and build up from the ground with Ryzen 3000?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you need more resources? Such a machine should be more than workable for most purposes and we are probably a bit beyond being able to sell parts off for enough to really note.

Reactions: Alexander1970

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Do you need more resources? Such a machine should be more than workable for most purposes and we are probably a bit beyond being able to sell parts off for enough to really note.
To be honest, I don't. I don't play many games these days and most of my "work" is just college coding and word processing. Once in a while I do some video transcoding and the i3 really shows its lack of real threads, even with when I opt for NVENC.
If I do game, it's usually at 1080p. Am playing Witcher 3 right now, and I'm fine with how it looks on my low end monitor.
I guess I don't really have a reason to upgrade at this moment, since I'm not a content creator. But I would love some threads for fun and the random workloads I have sometimes. Hmm.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You probably should save your money for something else, or until you need it.

I like to think of upgrading my 4790k and 980Ti setup sometime to Ryzen 3700 or 3900, but I’m fine playing games and video editing with what I’ve got.

If you do upgrade, keep your GPU and just swap the CPU/motherboard to Ryzen to save money. Or Intel if you really don’t like Team Red.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt