Computer booting problems

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CrazyPuzzler, Jan 1, 2011.

Jan 1, 2011
  1. CrazyPuzzler
    OP

Newcomer CrazyPuzzler Member

Netherlands
    My sister was playing minecraft a few minutes ago when suddenly the computer lagged and she got a blue screen with a message. and since she's not the brightest person, she didn't even read the message, she just pulled the plug out [​IMG]

but then she decided that should be my problem too, and she commanded me to fix it, and my parents agreed - in the eyes of the rest of my family I know almost everything there is to know about computers, since i know how to change the resolution [​IMG] -

Great. now I can't do anything until her computer is fixed [​IMG] .

the only thing I can do is boot it, and if do so it displays a message saying that the status of VOLUME0 (RAID) is failed (yeah, it says STATUS: FAILED).
    the other two physical disks are fine btw.

Can anyone tell me how yo fix this? (if more information is needed just say so)

Thanks in advance!

2. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    You could open it and make sure the hard drives are properly connected and then try booting again.

If you're unlucky your hard drive might be screwed.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Which version of RAID is it? Stripe or mirror? If mirror, then the secondary HDD can easily replace the failed one. If striped, both are screwed as far as I know.

Something useful to check for - open up the case, turn it on, and listen for a clicking sound from the failed HDD. That can help indicate if it's a hardware problem (which can't be fixed) or just a matter of one HDD losing sync in the RAID array (equivolent of corruption).

4. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    i don't know much about this stuff, but my dad's laptop's hard drive got screwed so he stuck it in the freezer for about 48 hours (obviously wrapped in kitchen towel or whatever) took it out plugged it in and it worked, dunno why but pretty cool though.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The freezer thing is only a temporary fix most of the time, it causes some parts that were stuck against each other to come apart (as the cold shrinks parts slightly), if it comes to that the moment it's working you need to start backing it up (assuming it's raid striping).