Hacking Computer as USB Drive.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got one too.
It disables both ports if it sense two connections.

I think allowing two connections would lead to too many angry customers with lost data.

To access the drive on pc I turn of the Wii (red led) and plug in the sata cable.
It is not necessary to unplug the usbcable this way.
I think disabling the pc esata port instead of removing the cable would work to.

raulpica said:
Even better, I've got a lot of scrap SATA HDs with bad blocks that I might sacrifice to the cause. Well, I'll buy the box asap and start experimenting with it soon, then.

The drive is not endangered only the data on it.

QUOTE(WiiCrazy @ May 6 2010, 09:53 PM) it would be meaningless trying to play a game that is currently being copied to the drive.

Data can still linger in the os writecache after the visible copy process finishes.
Right when you want to try it out.

You might want to look into NAS.
Some have USB too (eg lacie).

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
PsyBlade said:
WiiCrazy said:
it would be meaningless trying to play a game that is currently being copied to the drive.

Data can still linger in the os writecache after the visible copy process finishes.
Right when you want to try it out.

You might want to look into NAS.
Some have USB too (eg lacie).

Well I'm not talking about a removable device with regard to PC side... It should be sata or similar, then there is no problem of cached data waiting to be written.. Anyway I too agree there is most possibly no such adapter...

And I don't need what @OP has asked for... I am happy with my current setup... and well yes possibly NAS would be the wisest choice but then how will wii access it? Isn't NAS provides access to disks connected to it through network... possibly through shares... The same problem of accessing the drive is still there if that said NAS allows the discs to be seen as mass storage devices through it's usb port.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PsyBlade said:
raulpica said:
Even better, I've got a lot of scrap SATA HDs with bad blocks that I might sacrifice to the cause. Well, I'll buy the box asap and start experimenting with it soon, then.

The drive is not endangered only the data on it.
I know well
tongue.gif

I was just remarking that even if the drive would catch on fire, I couldn't care less
tongue.gif

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
Well I'm not talking about a removable device with regard to PC side... It should be sata or similar, then there is no problem of cached data waiting to be written.. Anyway I too agree there is most possibly no such adapter...

And I don't need what @OP has asked for... I am happy with my current setup... and well yes possibly NAS would be the wisest choice but then how will wii access it? Isn't NAS provides access to disks connected to it through network... possibly through shares... The same problem of accessing the drive is still there if that said NAS allows the discs to be seen as mass storage devices through it's usb port.

Sata will have the same writecaching problem as any other connection ,internal or external.

What I meant is something like http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11468
it has usb and *might* do what you want, check the manual

appzy

Trophies
XP
Country
I have such a product, a Thecus N5200pro it has the ability to be a NAS and a DAS at the same time using what they call target usb, you set up the raid and allocate space for usb and iscsi if you want. just moved 2TB off it to reconfigure for USB and surprise surprise it doesn't work with any usb loader it shows up as a 0525:a4a5 Netchip Technology. Inc. Linux-USB File storage gadget using Isusb on the Wii. I have formatted it as WBFS, Wii wont see it using wiiflow, usb loader gx or neogamma same for Fat32, my pc and set top boxes see it no trouble, hopefully there will be a fix soon.

R

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
WiiCrazy said:
Are there external harddrives which permit access from both usb & sata interfaces at the same time?
That seems impossible because each host (usb host & sata host) will manage the filesystem by itself including caching. The only way is that both open the disc readonly.

chaosdestro0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a device called a flatmii, it basically does what you are talking about. I have a modchip in my wii that replaces the drive, and it is connected to my Pc via Usb and I can load Iso`s from my desktop.
It is good because it is cheap, Internal Hard drive storage for Iso`s meaning that I do not have to buy external hard drives with slow read times, and I can use the storage for my pc aswell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same