Component Cable Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sanfransexstar, May 30, 2010.

May 30, 2010
  1. Sanfransexstar
    OP

Newcomer Sanfransexstar Member

United States
    So I finally got around to getting myself some component cables for the wii. I purchased the 14 dollar universal component cables from gamestop which are a ps2/xbox360/wii combo thing. My problem is that I am getting static lines running horizontal across the screen using the component hook up for the wii. I tested it on my xbox and it works fine. So I'm thinking its a problem with my wii. I have everything hooked up correctly and the 480p option turned on in the wii settings. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? I know the cables could and be the problem, but they look pretty shielded and not any different than the official nintendo cables.

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Is it all over the menu also? Or just in games?

3. sonicsleep

Newcomer sonicsleep Member

Australia
    I had a weird problem with dotty shadowy artifacts on the screen. I then unplugged the other analog cables that were plugged in the back (VCR) and then the artifacts disappeared. Even though the vcr wasn't even on btw. (samsung plasma)

So it is most likely not the wii, it'll be your tv probably.

4. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    my multicables have a built in switch box to block out interference from the other consoles. just plug the wii in on its own and see if it works then

5. codiak

Newcomer codiak Advanced Member

United States
    Got the same Problem. Tested other Wii with other cable with the same result. So I think its the TV (Philips) or the environment in some way. Its annoying :/

6. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    thanks everyone who replied. I found no solution [​IMG] . I'm hoping its just the cables considering my tv is pretty cool i guess. Its a 42 inch olevia 720p LCD. It looks sick and I calibrated it perfectly. I have no problem playing my 360 via component or hdmi, or plugging my macbook in through the hdmi input. Soooo would everyone agree that it is more than likely the cable is a piece? (of shit). Is it worth it to buy the other cables or does anyone know of a reason my tv just cant handle it?

7. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
  8. burritoboy9984

Member burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    fwiw, as everyone else has said it is the cables. I have had the same problem in the past. Lesson learned, don't buy AIO cabling [​IMG]

-Erik

9. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    haha awesome. I'm about to buy these cables from deal extreme that was linked above. I did a google search on the company and many people say that it is a scam. Just curious if anyone else had dealt with them before? It's only 5 bux but I don't want to knowingly get screwed. thanks again

10. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    Just ordered from the monoprice link. Thanks alot man, great deal!

11. ToneEQ

Member ToneEQ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Bit late to answer now but I bought a similar cable from GAME here in the UK.

Connected to just the PS3 = fine
    Connected to just the Xbox 360 = fine
    Connected to just the Wii = FAIL, horizontal scan lines, purple and white dots, etc etc.

Official cable FTW!

12. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    awesome man thanks for letting me know. I'm guessing the one from monoprice is gonna be just fine.

13. zeedds

Member zeedds GBAtemp Regular

United States

thanks for the link to that store Deadly, looks like a great place!

14. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    hey deady foez...I was wondering if I need to do anything to play PAL backups on my NTSC wii. I have priiloader installed and the force region option turned on. is that all it takes?

15. crookedview

Newcomer crookedview Newbie

United States
    I had this same problem (using the dedicated component cables from monoprice), and it ended up being the external USB enclosure that I had attached to the Wii causing interference. Once I switched off the power, or unplugged the enclosure, the lines went away.

The only thing that helped at all was attaching some ferrite cores to the cable.

16. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    Can't seem to find anything on using more than the force region option in priiloader. Not trying to make someone do my searching for me...just honestly can't find any sticky other than the three at the top. I just want to know what else I need to do to play PAL games after I am forcing ntsc on priiloader

17. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have an external 3.5" HDD that gives me the same problem. 2.5" drives work just fine.

18. Sanfransexstar
    OP

United States
    I'm playing by disc using neogamma r8

19. crookedview

Newcomer crookedview Newbie

United States
    Yeah, that's what I chalked it up to. I've been using a 2.5" drive for a while, but have used a couple externally-powered 3.5" drives and only one gave me that issue. It was a relatively cheap enclosure that was giving me issues, so you certainly get what you pay for [​IMG]

20. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i get all my cables and stuff from amazon and just make sure it has alot of good reviews, i got wii comp cables for $6 free shipping, cant tell much of a difference, but at least they work, and im gonna be getting an hdmi cable for my xbox soon that costs $2