Completely New.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Juju86, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    So yeah as the title says I am completely new to the scene here and figured I should learn some things before just diving in. I just ordered a new 3ds from gamestop that should be here monday so I have no idea what firmware is on it atm. I have the sd card for it already if that helps/enables me to get a head start on things. The only real plans I have, mod wise, for my n3ds are that I wish to enable the cpu upgrade to improve gameplay and reduce framedrops. Other than that though the only other thing I may add is a custom theme later on down the road or something.

So what i'm asking for basically is what is the simplest, safest way to achieve my goal? I also assume that running any program that enables the clock speeds isn't going to affect any of the 3ds' native apps like eshop or mii stuff, correct? Thanks in advance everyone.

2. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    You're wanting CFW. Wait until you get your n3ds so we can see the fw

3. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    United States
    Your n3ds will most likely be on 10.x

You're gonna need to use browserhax or some other entrypoint to gain access to HBL, which you can use to downgrade to 9.2. But MsMidnight is right; you should wait and see what your firmware version is first

4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

follow this well written guide to run homebrew, depending on your firmware version, you may need to use a game and a way to inject save data hax into it. It is explained in the guide. Once you are able to access homebrew, there should be a app called hans that allows the cpu mod you could be looking for.

5. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the quick reply, and will do. I'll report back on monnday.

6. MsMidnight

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    We don't know if its used or not so it could be 8.1

7. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    United States
    True

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well least he knows the link to the guide so when he gets it he will know what to do with it. :yay3ds:

9. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    It's a new device from gamestop, not refurbished if the details also matter it's a gold hyrule edition.

10. MsMidnight

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    It will be 9.9. mine came with it

KapuDaKoopa likes this.
  11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    . . . you mean micro sd card ... correct?

12. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Okay so then i'll pretty much follow parts 1 and 2 of the guide posted earlier in the thread?
    Lol yes figured that was obvious maybe I shoulda made it clearer :P.

wormdood likes this.
  13. MsMidnight

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    Yes

Juju86 likes this.
  14. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Thank you, you are a godsend.

15. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Hey didn't have any time last night to fiddle around with the 3ds, but I got started today. First step's done as I am successfully able to run the homebrew launcher, but as I sit here on the menu I have another question. I see the program/option/file called hans in the list and someone pointed out in the thread here that I can use that to achieve my goal of using the new 3ds' clock speeds for older games so i'm wondering if I can just run through that? Or is it really still necessary that I downgrade from 9.9?

16. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    HANS does not work for all games and it doesn't use a game's update data. you really should downgrade/set up custom firmware since it gives you a better experience with what you're wanting to do.

Juju86 likes this.
  17. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Alright thank you. As I did more research I need to downgrade regardless to access the eshop and buy digital so I was screwed either way :P. What's the next step after downgrading for me? What cfw is best for enabling the clock speeds? I'm mainly going to be playing games like pokemon, super smash, zelda games, maybe some mgs. I just really hate choppy frames in games.

18. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Luma3DS is the best noob-friendly custom firmware, and you would get it when you follow Plailect's guide to custom firmware:
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Juju86 likes this.
  19. Juju86
    OP

Juju86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Having trouble launching EmuNAND9... just keeps flashing red on the bottom screem and returning me to hbl. I've checked and and confirmed i'm on version 9.2.0-20. I understand and read that it can take a few tries but it's been more like 30 and counting tries now.

20. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    seems like the downgrade was not completed... use PlaiSysUpdater and downgrade to 9.2.0 again to see if anything is leftover.