Status
Not open for further replies.

senkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
darklocust and zektor:

Thank you for this precise and clear guide, and extra props to Zektor for the ongoing support!

Just what's needed for those on 4.1 looking to go to 4.2 without the voodoomumbojumbo, I really appreciate the purity.

Imma tagging it for future reference, I'm still on 4.1 and won't update untill it becomes really necessary, or if/when Preloader gets updated.

Cheers.

senkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
aye, if/when is just a reference reminder for me to update when Preloader gets updated. Right now, I'm happy sitting on 4.1 and I don't see 4.2 offering anything at all except waste a load of time trying to fix things up just so. I'd rather be playing games instead.
smile.gif

And heaps of props to you too xzxero, your 4.1 update guide got me safely and perfectly to 4.1 previously.

Cheers!

btw, is there a way to get rid of the annoying HBC update prompts (besides updating to HBC 1.0.5 which I don't want to right now)?

xzxero said:
senkun said:
if/when Preloader gets updated.

Cheers.
thats for sure.
although you can still get preloader to run on 4.2 now

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
senkun said:
And heaps of props to you too xzxero, your 4.1 update guide got me safely and perfectly to 4.1 previously.

Cheers!

btw, is there a way to get rid of the annoying HBC update prompts (besides updating to HBC 1.0.5 which I don't want to right now)?

I must also give MUCH props to xzxero. His guides are top notch
smile.gif

As for the HBC...yeah...two ways. Disable your internet connection or update
smile.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
senkun said:
aye, if/when is just a reference reminder for me to update when Preloader gets updated. Right now, I'm happy sitting on 4.1 and I don't see 4.2 offering anything at all except waste a load of time trying to fix things up just so. I'd rather be playing games instead.
smile.gif

Cheers!

i dont think there is, unless your wii isnt connect to WiFi.

why dont you want to update the Homebrew Channel and Bootmii?

thanks guys, i try to make what i learn clear for others.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed the main post was updated with preloader install information. I did not add this and cannot recommend it at all. I have never been a fan of preloader....and it's nature of install goes completely against my purist philosophy. Install that at your OWN risk. I understand that some people want preloader, but I highly recommend updating to the latest hackmii installer and simply waiting for a true preloader update for the new system menu.

D

darklocust

OP
QUOTE said:
I just noticed the main post was updated with preloader install information. I did not add this and cannot recommend it at all. I have never been a fan of preloader....and it's nature of install goes completely against my purist philosophy. Install that at your OWN risk.

I added a disclaimer there for "purists"
laugh.gif

boto12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this great tutorial

this is what we can call tutorial, simple as need to be.

i was afraid to upgrade my wii before, but after read this and see how simple is, i took courage and made it.

can i make a sugestion? in the steep 12 i was a little confusing because you don't say nothing to select IOS 249, maybe you can put this in the main post.

thanks!

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So! I'm back.

I did everything as the guide said aND NOW MUY WII IS BIRICKED!!

nah just kidding. worked perfectly. Even installed the ios60 stub
smile.gif
. And i removed those other channels using wad manager too so its all clean.
I'm very happy
smile.gif
Thanks!

However maybe it would help to add in the guide that you must select ios 249 for the wad manager. I was a little stumped but just decided to go ahead with what was already selected.

Redah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a 'launch' Wii (well, pre-launch, actually
wink.gif
) equipped with a WiiKey and I have a few questions on getting my Wii the most up-to-date, while keeping it as clean as possible. This is the list of system files currently installed on my Wii, which is currently on System Menu 4.1E:

MIOS
BC
System Menu
IOS4
IOS9
IOS10
IOS11
IOS12
IOS13
IOS14
IOS15
IOS16
IOS17
IOS20
IOS21
IOS22
IOS28
IOS30
IOS31
IOS33
IOS34
IOS35
IOS36
IOS37
IOS38
IOS50
IOS51
IOS53
IOS55
IOS60
IOS61
IOS202
IOS222
IOS223
IOS249
IOS250

The italic ones are the ones that are, according to NUSD, stubbed. I do not know if these are stubbed on my Wii. Most of these IOS'es are probably Trucha-patched, because I used to use Waninkoko's stuff before. But, I've always wanted to go back to a Wii that is as 'virgin' as possible
smile.gif

With your guide, IOS4, IOS10, IOS11, IOS16, IOS20, IOS30, IOS50, IOS51, IOS202, IOS222, IOS223, IOS249 and IOS250 will not be updated.

Also, on NUSD, I see IOS254 available, which is also a stub. Seems to be for Patchmii, which I've never used.

Now for the questions:

1. Is it safe to update all remaining IOSes through NUSD, after your update? I know not to touch IOS202, IOS222, IOS223 and IOS249, but I do not know about the others. I would like to have the 'official' ones on my Wii, withouth exploits patched in them (because the bug will already be in IOS70). When downloading IOS30 via NUSD, for example, it will tell me not to update this IOS to a stub because certain System Menus use it. Is it still used with 4.2 or not? What IOSes are safe to update/download after following your guide?

2. Is it safe to update MIOS and BC to the latest versions? I don't know if my Wii has the latest ones, and I'd like it to have everything up-to-date
smile.gif

3. Is it safe to download/update IOS250? I have no idea what this is

4. Is it safe to download the IOS254 stub? I'm not using Patchmii (I think), as long as HBC and Trucha'd VC work I'm happy
smile.gif

5. Is it safe to remove the Photo Channel 1.0 title when I have 1.1 installed?

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
No offense, I know you're trying to help, but this is too much bullshiting around. I'm fine on 4.2, and I updated before updating the HBC. All I needed was the Indy Pwns, HBC, cIOS38 rev14 and Dop-IOS.

Now, if you update the HBC before the N update, it's a breeze. All you need is two things.

cIOS rev14: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-14 &
Dop-IOS: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS

Load cIOS rev14 from the HBC, select IOS70 (it worked for me. *shrugs* Must be vulnerable.)
cIOS is now installed as IOS249.
Run Dop-IOS from the HBC and trucha sign IOS70 (55 & 53 are optional, IMO).

That is all you really need. I think it's safest to update via N and not play around with IOSes, even if you know what you are doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if I have left out any other useful things, but that is all you really need.

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i shall correct you as you're wrong.
smile.gif

If you update via nintendo then your boot2 changes, meaning bootmii cannot run on boot2.

not only that but nintendo's updater has caused some wii's to brick. And if you had modded software on it then they aren't going to repair it for you.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
sonicsleep said:
i shall correct you as you're wrong.
smile.gif

If you update via nintendo then your boot2 changes, meaning bootmii cannot run on boot2.

not only that but nintendo's updater has caused some wii's to brick. And if you had modded software on it then they aren't going to repair it for you.
When you update the new HBC, it creates a new bootmii under cboot2.

The brick is only caused during the update process, usually if you unplug it while it looks like it's freezing. Once your on 4.2, you're fine.

Bootmii is only really needed if you stuff around with the IOses...

I'm yet to be corrected.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I followed the tutorial, but the WAD Batch Installer didn't want to install the IOS's. So I used WAD Manager 1.5 and everything went fine. Thanks
smile.gif

phantagom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to put a warning in the TS that you cant softmod a region converted Korean to 2.4, it WILL brick with a 003 Error.

D

darklocust

OP
Some folks like to do it manually and just cause you went thru Ninety doesn't mean the IOS' we install isn't the same. In fact, manually, we get to choose whether we want to stub IOS60 or not. Go thru N and be a slave. Just kidding man. Good day!
laugh.gif

QUOTE said:
No offense, I know you're trying to help, but this is too much bullshiting around.
QUOTEThat is all you really need. I think it's safest to update via N and not play around with IOSes, even if you know what you are doing.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BBking83 said:
No offense, I know you're trying to help, but this is too much bullshiting around. I'm fine on 4.2, and I updated before updating the HBC. All I needed was the Indy Pwns, HBC, cIOS38 rev14 and Dop-IOS.

Now, if you update the HBC before the N update, it's a breeze. All you need is two things.

cIOS rev14: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-14 &
Dop-IOS: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS

Load cIOS rev14 from the HBC, select IOS70 (it worked for me. *shrugs* Must be vulnerable.)
cIOS is now installed as IOS249.
Run Dop-IOS from the HBC and trucha sign IOS70 (55 & 53 are optional, IMO).

That is all you really need. I think it's safest to update via N and not play around with IOSes, even if you know what you are doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if I have left out any other useful things, but that is all you really need.

It is NOT safest to update via Nintendo. Please do not give that advice! We are not only talking about getting to the HBC, but we are talking about retaining your cIOSes as well.

The guide is simple and allows you to have a completely offline solution to getting up and running. If you have a pc and an internet connection, you can do this
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phantagom said:
You need to put a warning in the TS that you cant softmod a region converted Korean to 2.4, it WILL brick with a 003 Error.

That should be obvious, but ok.

Do not update to v4.2 in any way shape or form (even using this guide) if you are currently on a region modded system!

Posts merged

QUOTE(SpaceJump @ Oct 4 2009, 10:46 AM) So I followed the tutorial, but the WAD Batch Installer didn't want to install the IOS's. So I used WAD Manager 1.5 and everything went fine. Thanks
smile.gif

Did you put them in the "installer" folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFe0CCeTDd8