Hacking Comple n00b, requests advice

ipswichross

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. I bought my 1st Wii yesterday from the local paper. When I got it home and fired it up I noticed that there was a back up version of Wii sports in the Wii, which seems to play fine. Also on the Menu there are a load of games from systems like the SNES, Megadrive, N64....about 10-12 games I'd say (Though most I can't play without a classic controller, it says) I assume these are emulated games??

On the system menu it says I have version 3.2E. Now my questions are..........is that a decent version to use...3.2E?? Or should I upgrade/downgrade?? How do I tell if I have a softmod or a modchip? I assume I have one or the other as it plays the backup Wii sports. And I can't find any mention of the Homebrew channel on my menu?? Should it appear on the main menu somewhere??

Please forgive my ignorance, I know a lot of these questions will be answered elsewhere in the forum, but I am being blinded by too much information right now!! Trying to learn as much as possible, as really loving my Wii so far........I am computer literate, and have been using emulators on my PC for years, so I know a little bit, but it seems like a whole new ballgame getting to grips with this Wii modding!!

So please, enlighten me, Tell me, Link me, flame me (as long as you are also helping while flaming, it's all good!!)........I am keen to learn!!

Respect.

Rosco.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first i think the person would you bought it from forget to erase his/her wii shop account i don't know why.... if you want those games gone just erase them from the wii settings or whatever 2nd if you want to remove the wii shop account you must connect online so yeah your force to update. if you want to update look at the sticky guide modfiy any wii 4.3 that's very helpful hopefully it will help you and also what color is your wii and also go to www.wiidrivechips and see what your lu code is on the bottom of it.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there hbc? If not, follow the sticky "Modify Any Wii" and install the hbc, don't go further if you want to know what was done prior.

After you have hbc, run syscheck, and post the results here.

-Erik

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sounds to me like the person that had it before cioscrapped inside it. or else it has preloader forcing teh system menu to use a cIOS. otherwise the backup wii sports wouldnt show up in the disc channel.
and based on that alone, i would say that there is a good chance those channels on the system menu might not be legit ones.

the 3.2 system menu means there might be a chance of having bootmii @boot2 which is what you want. just cross your fingers when you run the hackmii installer and hope it has good news for you.

ipswichross

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK Thanks for the reply guys. After much reading and research, I have now upgraded my Wii to 4.2E, managed to get the homebrew channel installed, and have neogamma, so can now play my back-up games.

I'm still confused with what was going on with my Wii at the start though. As I stated it would play a back-up copy of Wii sports, which came with the Wii, but would not play any other backups I had, also the homebrew channel was not installed..... So would anybody think that there is likely a chip inside of some sort?? Maybe an older one or something, as it is definitely an older Wii.

I am really enjoying it so far, the games, as well as all the modding side. My last console was a PS2, since then I've gamed exclusively on my PC........and things sure have changed since then!! Took a little bit of getting used to, but will never be without the Wii now!!

Things are definitely getting more online orientated now it seems........I didn't even realise my Wii had a built in wireless NIC until a few moments ago when reading another thread.......

Again, thanks for the help/advice. I'm sure I'll be back when I hit my next stumbling block!

Rosco.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The shameful part is, I fell so in love with her mask. If I could find the real woman she pretended to be I would die for her without a moments hesitation.
    Truly loved what was never there
    I would have fought demons, gods, armies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Be gentle, I've never done this before." What, biatch you got 3 kids already. Lol, I know loves sucks hard when bad, but really good when good.
    +2
    Lol BigOnYa I hear "I don't usually do sex on the first date" like every 2 to 3 weeks now...
    +1
    I never quite know how to respond lol
    Apparently saying nothing is the correct response lol
    I know they be lying but damn I need something
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You say " is your boyfriend gonna stay and watch, or should I call A cab for him"
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Psionic Roshambo I have alot of family that lives in St pete, Clearwater, Tampa area, what part of FL you in?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    what is good, family
    Elfers Florida lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Where is that, city close to
    Lived in Hudson from 1999-2023
    Like hmm 45 minutes north of Tampa
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is nice down there, better than Ohio where I am, but I can't take the heat, year round
    Yeah the next 4 months pretty much suck
    Ohio I have been too a few times
    +1
    Born in Michigan and moved to Florida at 16 lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm near Columbus, suburbs called Hilliard.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    are you doxxing yourselves?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, I mean I'm in north Korea
    Lol Doxing is for people with something to hide
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Someone doxxed me on here before because they were upset about a moderating decision I made lul
    +1
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Someone doxxed me on here before because they were upset about a moderating decision I made lul +1